breath holding spells anyone else had this happen

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cbrown39, Feb 1, 2008.

1. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

Well on Tuesday I called 911 for one of my 13 month old twins. SHe was sitting on the floor waiting for her bottle, I gave it to her then I turned to give my other daughter her bottle when I heard my other daughter hit her head on the kitchen floor and when I looked she was just laying there stiff and twiching, eyes rolling into her head and her lips turning blue. It was the most scariest thing ever so I called 911 and they took her in. She has x-rays, a CT and a EEG and they didn't fine anyting wrong with her so they said she had a Breath Holding Spell which cased her to do all thouse things. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen and if so did it happen aot or just one time?

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug99: That is so scary! Both my boys do breath holding spells. The one who does it most started it around 10 months as well. But for mine, they are always either really angry or hurt. They start with the big wail and just don't catch their breath and then pass out. Was she crying? They also don't twitch when they do it. As soon as they pass out they come to again. They are very pale, a little disoriented, takes a few minutes to figure out what is going on. I have perfected the blow in their face to make them breathe before passing out if I get there in time.

It concerns me that you said she was twitching. That sounds more like a seizure than a breath holding spell. (Which, by the way, is not because they hold their breaths of purpose) Everything I've read has never said anything about twitching. Pm me if you want to ask questions or even just talk about it. It really does freak me out, and I deal with them at least once every 2 weeks. And it seems they do them more often when they are sick.

3. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

My kids don't hold their breaths (knock on wood), but I was a a big breath holder as a child. I started when I was about a year, and I would do it when I was very upset about something. I believe that usually I would start by crying pretty hard and then it would escalate to me involuntarily holding my breath and passing out. My parents eventually didn't get too worried by it because they knew I would start breathing again as soon as I passed out. They have told me that I would turn blue, but they never mentioned that I would twitch, so, like the PP, I'm not so sure about that part fitting with the diagnosis.

4. dizzyhay+2

dizzyhay+2 Well-Known Member

Wow neither of my older two do it, but that kinda worries me on the next two in line!!! I dont know if i could handle something like that!!! Thats got to be sooo scary!!!

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago that had quite a few responses. You can find it at:

http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?s...c=51901&hl=

My Sierra used to do it and it was very scary the first time. As a pp said, it was when she got hurt or really mad and was crying hard.