Braxton Hicks Question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by tygerlilly, Nov 2, 2009.

1. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

So, I am slightly concerned, because I know braxton hicks are common. I have been getting them off and on for a little while now, but starting Friday evening I have been getting them when I am walking or standing. Once I sit or lay down they go away. They stay for a while too, not just a couple of min's. I went to Wal-Mart and left 10 min later (after buying some water) because I was scared that it had lasted that long. They are not painful, just scary lol. I plan on calling my OB when they open (about 30 min) to ask the question, but htought I would look for some advice on here first. Thanks!!!! :):):)

2. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

As long as they aren't consistent and that they go away when you sit or lie down, you should be fine.. I've had them since early in the second trimester, and yeah it's kind of scary sometimes, especially when I start having a lot of them.. But if you drink a bottle of water, and sit down and they stop, then it's just your uterus practicing!! :)

good luck!

3. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

Thanks :) They stop when Isit/laydown, but once I stand up they come back lol. I also erad that it may just be the babies so I dunno lol. Since they stopped when I was laying down I figured it was ok, but it is just nice to hear it from someone else lol... so that way I know I am not losing my mind lol.

4. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

SO I talked to the nurse at my OB and she said if my BH get worse that I will have to go on bed rest.... for the rest of the pregnany. I will be 19 weeks on wednesday, what in the world am I going to do for (hopefully) 15-20 weeks?????

5. chadanddan

chadanddan Active Member

Try not to worry - easier said than done, I know! I got them from 21 weeks on a daily basis, but they did not go away when I would lie down - I had them quite bad with DH so I didn't worry much and just had my OB check my cervix and everything was fine. They then stopped at about 30 weeks and I am now only starting to get them again (37 weeks). Just try to take it easy and ask your doc to check everything whenever you have your appointments.

6. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

That's funny that you mentioned having to leave Walmart after 10 minutes! I've been doing that for a few months now. If I walk for more than a few minutes at a time, I get them. I can't grocery shop or anything anymore. I'd have to go back out to the car and wait for my husband to finish because my whole belly was clenching up.

Mine has probably been that way since mid-second trimester. They go away after a while and I just try to lay down and drink a lot of water. Once in a while, if I push it, I end up laying down all day before I start to feel better. My doc just tells me to lay down and drink water and to call if they don't go away.

7. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

Thats what I did lol. I have heated seats so that seemed to help quite a bit as well. Thats how I was yesterday... I had to lay down. I am just now beginning to feel them both moving so its been a rollercoaster week or so. I guess I would be considered mid-second trimester at 19 weeks lol.

BTW I told a friend of mine that I was getting them and she told me "There is no way, with both my kids I didnt start getting them until I was 7 months"... yeah well acording to my uterus and its size I am almost there lol. Sorry little rant on how people keep comparing their singleton pregnancies to my twin pregnancy lol.

8. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Definitely discuss the contractions with your OB, but unless your contractions are causing cervical change then there really isn't any reason that you should be put on any strict bedrest. My OB and peri have basically both told me since I started having them often that I have to listen to my body. Drink TONS of water, lay day or put your feet up when you can, and listen when your body is basically telling you that you can't do that (whatever the activity is...) anymore! So if that means your trips to Walmart at 10 mins long then that's what it means...some days are better than others though and it seems a bit drastic to stay home on bedrest if your cervix is holding up so definitely get it all checked out :)

9. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

I can barely handle grocery shopping anymore. When i get to the third row, I am leaning on the cart and struggling to breathe because I get so winded. Shopping wears me out. I try and stop to sit down any chance I get, i even sat on a pumpkin the other day. LOL

I get them SO much more and so much earlier with this pregnancy than I ever did with my DD. It is also when I am walking or standing for a long time. A long time is like longer than 10 mins for me now.

10. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

Since I am active duty Air Force I think they want to put me on bedrest for that reason... so that I can laydown when I need to rest. I dont mind my trips are only 10 min long lol... we did IVF so we REALLY want these babies and I am determined to make it ot at least 35 weeks :)

11. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

That sounds like me, I alsways say to myself "I wish I had a portable chair with me" lol. 10 min seems to be my max right now lol... that way I dont push it :)

12. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Oh ok...so basically "bedrest" is the only way that you can stay off your feet all day and be at home with the option of laying down. Well that's great then! :p I would just say don't go too crazy with it if it's just contractions. No reason to literally lay in bed ALL DAY if there is no cervical change :)

13. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

I was told that if I got BH more than 6 times an hour and it lasted for more than an hour to go to labor & delivery for a non-stress test. However I was already 34 weeks so I'm not sure what the guidelines would be earlier in the pregnany...

14. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Guidelines from most OBs and multiple pregnancy resources are to go to L&D if you have more than six contractions in an hour, but almost always after having tried laying down and drinking water first to see if that slows or stops them. This is throughout pregnancy...at least until you get to the end and you want labour to start! If they go away when you lay down/drink water then there is no need to go in.

15. tygerlilly

tygerlilly Active Member

I've read this all over, and the only reason I was concerned is because my BH will last until I lay down lol. So if I am standing for 10 min I get one long 10 min BH. once I sit/lay down they go away. I was concerned because the longer I stand /walk the longer I get the BH for.

I really kinda hope to go on modified rest here soon, I think I can use it. I get up at 6 am, I am ready to nap at noon (but I cant because of work lol), ready to nap again at 6 (I avoid so I get some nightime sleep lol), and bedtime between 9 and 10. I think that I will feel better if I go on a modified rest, even if they put me on 1/2 days I can get a good nap in the middle of the day... that would be great. I may call and ask about that. My next appointment is on Tuesday so I will see what they say then.