Braxton Hicks Contractions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by dab_20, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dab_20

dab_20 Member

Just had a quick question for you ladies. I went in for my growth scan today, I'm 32+3 weeks and both babies weighted 4 lb 7 oz :)

I've had no issues with preterm labor or anything and quit working about 2 weeks ago. I've had lots of Braxton Hicks contractions, some days not very many and other days up to 10 in an hour. Today during my first non stress test I was having a contraction pretty regularly every 10 minutes. I have not had my cervix checked since 28 weeks on a transvaginal ultrasound, then it was very long and closed. I have a doctor appt monday and thought I'd ask her to check.

My question is, did any of you experience a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions that never amounted to anything? How will I know when it's real labor and I should go in? When they're painful I'm assuming? They have never been painful as of yet. Online it says if you have more than 4 in an hour or they become regular than it's a sign of labor. If that was true there are a ton of times I could have been in true labor.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would check with your provider about if/when they would like to see you for preterm labor concerns. All providers tend to have slightly different standards of care. For example, my OB said that if I had more than 6 noticeable contractions in an hour, I should drink a large glass of water, empty my bladder, then lay down for an hour. If they didn't stop or lessen, then I should go in.

3. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Mine always told me 5 an hour to call. I noticed them more when I didn't drink enough. I was always having them on my NST's.

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When you feel you are getting a lot try to drink water and lay down, then see how it is. Go with your gut...if you just feel like something is not right/just regular braxton hicks...than go in. Better to be told its nothing than have babies on the way to the hospital. I ALWAYS had braxton hicks as my uterus just loves to contract. The day I went in to premature labor with my twins I kept denying how bad the contrax got until I was 5cm by the time I got to the hospital. I wish I hadn't been so stubborn! Don't be afraid to get checked if you feel you need to be :)

5. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

I am 26 weeks and have Braxton hicks consistantly throughout the day and worse at night. It's scary and I am constantly worried that it will trigger regular contractionssonce I have already been into prelabpr three times. . I've had them since I was around16 weeks and they've gradually become more frequent. the dr checked my cervix and said no changes have been happening. he said they were normal and unless they become less than ten minutes apart and more intense then I shouldn't be worried. The difference I've noticed between an real contraction and Braxton hicks contraction is that the real ones last longer and they don't stop coming and get closer together. Braxton hicks domt come consecutively even thought they seem close together and they stop periodically. Also when u first start having contractions they don't always hurt so u want toay attenting to the pressure of the Braxton hicks. When I went in last week to the hospital it was because I was having this odd pressure in my lowerpelvic area and had a fee Braxton hicks. It turned out that I was contracting every 4 minutes. it's always good to go with your instinct and if you ever have this odd feeling that something is not right definitley go to the hospital.