Boy/Girl Twins...DD seems to be gaining weight quicker

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We have been noticing that DD has been gaining weight quicker than DS. They are still in the 95% for height and 50% for weight. DD is very willing to try new foods and is in general a very good eater. Where DS is a soy milk junkie (due to allergy) and would drink it all day if we didn't limit him plus he only eats a variety of about three different foods for each meal. They eat three meals a day with one or two snacks a day depending on their appetite and drink only water and soy milk. I try not to let this bother me, but I was an overweight child and still overweight adult and I don't want her to suffer what I went through. At the same time I am not putting my 2-1/2 y.o. on a diet either. They have both been wearing 2T and 3T clothing since fall, but today I had to get her some new jeans in 4T because the 3T are just too tight and the 4T isn't much better. So it got me wondering if this is a common thing with boy / girl twins or just toddler girls in general?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Stop. You cannot compare fraternal twins in size!!

Get a copy of their growth chart from the pediatrician. See if you can find a growth trend. Talk to your pediatrician if you are concerned.

1 person likes this.
  3. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

That is what I keep trying to tell myself, but I have family members making comments to me so then my mind starts spinning. It is so hard not to compare them.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definitely get a copy of their growth chart then. If you connect the plots, you'll see a growth curve. That curve should basically mimic the background shape, but also keep in mind that the measurements are not going to be 100% correct.

She'll hopefully only eat what she needs. Just keep offering them healthy options (fruits/veggies/cheese) and get them outside to play if possible. Or do some running in your house. My daycare puts on music and they all (teachers and kids) run in one big circle with different strides. Galloping, skipping, spinning. Play redlight/greenlight. She's really too young to restrict food, but you can offer good choices.

Trust me, I feel you on being an overweight kid and trying to raise kids that aren't going to be overweight.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

it's so hard not to compare since you have both of them right there at the same time! but like pp said, I'd consult your growth records and discuss with dr.

I have found that I was offering too many processed junk foods... and even then it was just the *stupid* crackers and such b/c they were on sale... I've started to offer better options and hopefully if you offer good options then she'll be on a good track!

today I made granola bars! I'm so excited to see if they are good when they cool down, I know my two will love them, and I love that they have all sorts of good healthy ingredients in them instead of the sugar and preservatives. making small steps in the right direction is the key to what we eat I think!

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

:(

I'm sorry to hear that family is doing this. I hope the children aren't picking up on it.

A child that is 95% for height and 50% for weight is not overweight. Children tend to grow in spurts and at their own rate. She's fine.

ETA: oops...didn't mean to post yet...

If it helps you feel better, my Hannah was wearing 5T clothes while she was still 3. She turned 4 in October and she shares clothes with my 6 yr old. My kids are small, medium and large for their own age. And, by that I mean Hannah has always been way off the height chart, Natalie around 60-70% and Rachel way down in the 10-20%. Their weights have been proportional, their bodies are just different. It's funny - of course when they were babies, we got a lot of twin atttention. Then that went away and they were "stair steps" and everyone thought they were just really close together. Now, everyone thinks Hannah & the oldest are twins. :lol:

What I try to do, and I think everyone should do (but I'm not as good as I would like to be...) focus on providing mostly healthy choices, but not limit amounts, look for fun ways to keep them active. In discussing it with them, I focus on being healthy and what is good for our bodies, what bodies need to grow, be strong & have energy.