Bottomless pit

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Jul 27, 2011.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

This kid is going to eat me out of house and home before he reaches puberty and than I'm REALLY gonna be in trouble!! Anyone else have a kiddo that is constantly asking for 'eat, snack, treat, me hungry'??? We have had a set routine of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack after nap, supper and maybe a treat later forever but he's always asking for something to eat. Oh hang on, here he is asking me for something to eat!!!!! :popcorn: He ate 2 bowls of cheerios for breakfast, a few bites of toast and than for snack he had cereal bits, fish crackers and fruit snacks. Now he's wanting something else!!!!!! :crazy: Gonna need to find someone to foot this kids grocery bill!! :faint: And then when I tell him 'no' it's the most dramatic tantrum; you'd think I was starving him. Guess maybe an early lunch is in order today!!

2. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Yowsers - watch out I would bet he will be outgrowing his clothes soon. Will he eat something with more protien to maybe tide him over a bit more?

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a growth spurt. Last week my BF to my one DS out for breakfast. He ate:

2 pancakes
    scrambled eggs
    bowl of fruit
    potatoes
    mini donuts
    and half of BF's omlet

:faint:

There are times when he'll eat all day long and then he'll go for weeks not eating breakfast. Right now their lunch is just sitting there and it will most likely end up in the garbage.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, any time there is a growth spurt, these kids eat more individually than an adult should eat.

Of course, the other day, Roycie ate THREE pieces of a large pizza, crust and all.

5. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I have one of those too. Dh says Ryan is like a goat, grazing all day! He is the smallest kid but he is always hungry. I try to give him more protein dosed snacks, but I follow his cues if he says he's hungry I feed him. But I make him sit at the table to eat. I've found that if he's not really hungry, he won't want to sit at the table to eat. I swear he can eat more than me!!

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Probably a growth spurt as other PPs have suggested. My guys eat like starving hyenas most of the time, and can really pack it away when they're growing. My guys don't complain about being hungry (I have to drag them to the table to eat meals/snacks), but once they're there they eat like they don't know where their next meal is coming from. :pardon: They literally eat more than I do for most meals, *plus* have 2-3 snacks per day. :blink:

You might want to try giving protein/fat/carbs at every meal and snack. This helps extend the "fullness factor" a bit more. :good:

1 person likes this.
  7. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

This is totally DD and then she begs for what we are eating if we have dinner later then them because of coming home from work late. I watch how much she eats and tell her she will get "pukey" if she eats too much because I don't want her to struggle with being overweight like I did as a child. Last night she got so upset because we said popsicle or cookie for desert, she chose cookie, and then wanted the popsicle too so she threw a tantrum which resulted in her throwing up because got herself so upset.

On the other side DS would drink a gallon of soy milk a day if we let him (he's allergic to cow's milk). So I have to make sure he also eats along with watching his milk consumption. I feel like I am the food and milk police; then I forget to eat.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine beg all day but they only want to eat snack stuff... then don't eat much at meals.

9. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My son eats like that when he is going through a growth spurt. It is amazing how someone so small (a toddler) can pack so much food away.

10. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine will be 6 in Sept. and my DS has been eating non-stop for the last month or so. I have really tried to cut out the carbs for snacks b/c that's all he ever wants. Luckily he loves fruit, so he eats a ton of it. But, I make him eat some protein at every meal and some of the snacks (yogurt, eggs, peanut butter, trail mix with nuts, etc.). He will eat every hour if I let him and he's always "starving". I told DH the same thing that I'm scared of him during puberty when he really starts eating. Sheesh! Must be a growth spurt, but my girls have never gone to this extreme.

1 person likes this.
  11. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this but this is my DS and my DD. They have always eaten like that. The only time they don't is when they are sick. They are extremely active so just use up the energy the food gives them. We have porridge for breakfast, fruit and baking for morning tea, BIG lunches, baking for afternoon tea and adult sized dinners. We always have fruit for snacking on between meals and they only drink water. Some kids are just big eaters and if they are naturally active I don't worry. I hate to think what our food bill will be like when they are all teenagers.

1 person likes this.
  12. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls eat a LOT most of the time! This morning they ate 1/2c oatmeal mixed with 1/2c frozen berries, an orange a piece, and half of my bowl of cereal. For snack they had a zucchini muffin, and a banana. For lunch they had a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter and bell pepper. When they wake up they are going to immediately tell me they want to eat!