bottle nipples

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Sep 19, 2010.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

When did you know to move up to next size nipple flow? Right now the girls are still using the slow flow nipples. I can't really remember when I switched with the other three. I just remember with my oldest daughter I switched fairly quickly. The twins are seven weeks tomorrow. Sometimes A will suck the nipple and it will be flat. She is such a pokie eater too. I am wondering if the next stage would be good. I guess I will just buy them and find out. I was curious when everyone else switched.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm..I would switch it seems. I don't remember when we switched. I think when they were just taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r to eat! If she's making the nipple flat, she may be ready to go up. I do know that when we did get new nipples, and they would choke, that was the sign they weren't ready! ;) So if that was the case, we either waited, or we held the bottle at an angle so they weren't getting it all at once-and slowly they adjusted to the flow.

All of my kids were pokey eaters. Drove me bonkers!

3. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

sounds like it might be time. I think we didn't pay attention and didn't switch until next level until maybe 4 months old. Then, this last time, we noticed that Sam was having a tough time with teething and we went to the 3rd level... they're 9 months old. Both times we probably could have switched much sooner.

4. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We switched when it seemed like they were taking a long time to eat and started fussing because of it. I don't remember when it was exactly but they were a couple months older than the age they suggest they move to the second level.

5. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

My girls will be 4 months this week and we just switched over to level 2 on the Dr Browns nipple. They are able to eat a bit faster which is nice when you got 2 to feed ! The girls seem a bit happier as well... I just hope this allows them to eat a bit more and spread out their feedings.[​IMG]

6. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We switched when it seemed like it was taking them a long time and/or they were getting frustrated. There is nothing wrong with testing the next size up. If it's too fast, you will know quickly.

7. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Well I tried the next nipple flow and they drank a lot better but they have had tummy aches and been more gassy. So I don't know if it's a matter of them getting used to it or if it's too soon. I am going to try them a couple more times and see. If it continues then I will go back.