Birthday Tuesday & Party Saturday- celebrate both days?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Michele Becker-Fenton, Feb 6, 2012.

So this is the first year the boys really understand their birthday. As the title says their birthday is on a Tuesday and their party is Saturday. They are so excited. Do you think if we celebrate it both days it will confuse them?

Sorry if this is silly question- just don't want them confused. But I would feel like I was being dishonest if I don't acknowledge their real birthday.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Heck no! Lol! We celebrate on the day and then at their party with friends...AND the party with aunts/uncles/grandparents! Lol!

I usually take them out to lunch/dinner on their birthday and we do something fun-museums, movies, etc. We come home and do cake after dinner. Then we have party with friends and that night is usually dinner with the family. :)

Just explain that Tuesday is the date they were born on, and Saturday is a day when everyone can get together to celebrate it. :)

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

On their actual birthday, we usually do a small celebration (a song, a candle in their pancakes, etc.) and give them their presents from Mommy & Daddy. Then we celebrate with the cousins, aunts/uncles, & grandparents on another day. And starting when they turned 3, there has also been a friends party, and sometimes a party at school!

So they have up to 4 separate birthday parties. It has never seemed to confuse them, though sometimes it gets a little overwhelming (last year, when they turned 5, by the time of their family party they were flatly refusing to let anyone sing "Happy Birthday" to them :D ).

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We did presents from us on their birthday, and my parents came over and gave them presents. Then a few days later we had their party. They didn't seem confused at all - they were happy to be getting lots of presents and attention! :laughing:

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Absolutely celebrate both. I personally keep it small on their birthday. But I do special birthday things... like hang these curly Q's all over the kitchen that I cut from magazines; I make pancakes usually tinted their favorite color and in the shape of their first initial; no one has to do chores on their birthday, and we often go to dinner, etc. And then presents from mom and dad they get on their birthday, not at the party.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Definitely both!

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We are having the kids birthday party on a Saturday and there will be a party at daycare the day of their birthday. We will also probably take them out to eat that evening to celebrate.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I make a cake for their actual birthday, and they get a small gift from us. Then we celebrate at their party with another gift from us and another cake! We eat too much cake birthday weeks! :p

8. Thank you ladies- looks like we will do a little celebration on the actual day and then a big celebration on the party day. Thank you all for taking time to answer my silly question.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, definitely celebrate on both days. I always celebrate my kids bday on their bday, we go out to dinner (bday child's choice) and I make them a cake and we sing to them. We have cake and sing again at their party. :good:

10. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine's bday was dec 23rd, and they're "friends" party is actually this coming sunday! we did a family party on the day of their bday, and a small party at their school the day before their bday, but their actual party w/friends, cake, in a fun, play gym type place isn't until now... and, we've celebrated everything! i think it's ok for them to know that we don't always have celebrations on the day we're celebrating. it's like that w/many holidays and sometimes w/our bday. but, their bday is their bday, so hopefully you'll find some way to acknowledge it--party or not:).

jl