Bikes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dtomecko, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

What size 2 wheel bike (with training wheels) would you get for your 4 year old? I was thinking a 16". The 12" would probably be good for right now, and might make it easier for them to adjust to learning to ride a 2 wheel bike. But they just seem so tiny and they look like they'd be outgrown in less than a year. My daughter is on the big size and my son is on the small size, so it makes it hard. I'd definitely lean towards the 16" for her, but it might be a little harder for my son to handle. But I'd hate to get them different sizes.

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

We just bought them 14 inch bikes (they had 12 inch the last 2 years). They can handle the 16 inch pretty okay but I think they are safer and have more fun on the 14 inch. I am pretty sure we will lose the training wheels this year with the 14 but don't think that would happen with the 16.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine had 12" for 3-4 yrs old. I got one used off cl and got the second at tru for cheap knowing they wouldn't have them for long. We just gave them 16" bikes for 5th bday and I expect hy will have these bikes for awhile. Consider getting the smaller ones used. I resold our little ones.

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I just bought my 4 yr old a bike, and it is 16" and fits him perfectly

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have 16" bikes.

6. TD

TD Well-Known Member

You have to measure their inseam to figure out what size bike to get. In Canada, the Toysrus actually has a chart on the wall that kids can stand up against and you can see what size to buy based on the inseam. Not sure if you can get that info on-line or not. Each bike is also different depending on the frame. When we went to get my daughters second bike some 18" bikes were too big, but we got her a 20" that actually fit, since the seat could be lowered alot lower than on the 18" bike.

T

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Are your kids on the tall side or the short side? My kids both rode 12" toddler bikes until they were practically 5. But they're short, and Sarah is not the most coordinated child.

I wouldn't buy a bike that's too big for the child unless he/she is a pretty competent rider already -- it will be frustrating for them. (I learned this from experience when I bought Sarah an awesome "princess bike" at the twins club sale. She loved it and insisted on riding it right away, but couldn't even reach the ground while sitting on it. She did eventually learn to ditch the training wheels, but after months of DH and me having to give her a push to get started. And the bike is still a little too big for her and she's 6!)

Anyway, IMO it's better to get a 12" bike at a yard sale or something and trade it in when he/she grows. And it's also a good idea, if possible, to have the kid try out a bunch of different bikes (if you're buying new) because they're all slightly different proportions. Amy's and Sarah's current bikes are both 16", but Amy's handlebars are much lower and she just looks more comfortable on the bike.