bike seats and helmets

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

My DD, Lily, will NOT wear her helmet when she is sitting on the back of our bike in her bike seat. I bought the best ones from a bike store and she still pulls it off and throws it while we are riding. At this point, it is more safe to leave the helmet off than to have her pulling at it and throwing it mid-ride. Does anyone ride their children around without helmets or am I the worse mother in the world.

As a side note, Jack and Lily are 13 months old and Lily has a bitty peanut head that is only in the 5% so it was really hard to find anything to fit her. Now, she has a fit when she even sees the helmet but we love to ride the bikes.

WWYD?

2. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I think first I'd check your state law.

I know here in NH a law passed a couple of years ago that under 16 are legally required to wear a bike helmet . Not sure of the legal ramifications behind it, (fine or what have you). If you do have a law, the last thing you'd want is for the police to get involved b/c someone saw you and reported it.

And do you (adults) wear helmets? I know the second I do something, the girls want too also. And I think I read somewhere that your kiddos aren't speaking a lot yet? If I have that wrong I apologize, I know my girls weren't talking a lot at that point though. Is there any way for her to communicate what about the helmet she doesn't like? Does it block her view? Make her head sweaty? Have a pressure point anywhere inside that makes it hurt?

You said she loves the bike, how far into the ride is she winging the helmet? Is it close enough into it that you can unstrap her from the bike seat and carry her home? In a Bjorn or something if your arms won't make it all the way back. And explain to her why it's happening. My girls understand a heck of a lot more than they're able to say! And already loss of something fun to do is a huge incentive to do the 'right' thing.

GL, I hope you get it figured out! That's got to be so frustrating!

3. ehm

ehm Banned

I agree with Angela, check the laws/make sure all adults wear helmets/get her professionally sized, if you haven't already done all of these things. Besides that it would be no helmet no ride for me. I know I am probably the most evil mom ever but if she took it off midride I would not go again until it was back on. Maybe check with your local police department, I know ours fits children and provides helmets once a year. If the helmet fits correctly I don't think she should be able to get it off.

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I agree with the no helmet - no bike riding stance. My DH is an avid cyclist and was hit by a car last year on his bike. His life was definitely saved by his helmet! I think if she likes going on the rides that she will learn that she has to wear the helmet. I would just be very consistent about putting it back on her, etc.

5. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

First thought is that the helmet is not on properly if she can get it off herself.

It would be no riding unless she wears it - no exceptions. She will soon get it.