bike recs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

my kids have never ridden a bike! :sorry:
    can you recommend your bikes for 4.5 year olds?  do they out-grow them quickly?  i wanted balance bikes but didn't want to spend all that money on them to not have pedals in a few weeks, etc.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can take the pedals and chains off of a regular bike and use it as a balance bike at first.

I don't have any specific recommendations Although look for something that's as adjustable as possible. It'll give you the longest shelf life. :)

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were going to do strider balance bikes but the cost was prohibitive so I ordered some from Walmart that were $30 each. They work well for my short legged little boys who love them. They started riding them in September and are decently proficient bit not bored with them yet. I'll probably do regular bikes for them by spring. I'm going to save one for my 1YO and sell the other.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just go to walmart or target and try a few bikes on for size is my best recommendation.  Ones with an adjustable seat and adjustable handle bars will last the longest.  They will probably outgrow them in about a year or so, maybe 2 if there's a good adjustment on them.

My duo are 4.5 (will be 5 in feb) and are about to outgrow their 12 inch bikes.  They are average height/weight.  Since I have older kids, I have 1 bigger bike already, I just need to buy a second one.

5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

We just got them from Walmart with regular training wheels (Huffy was the brand, I think) when they were 3. 12 months later the training wheels were removed and they took about 20 minutes to figure out how to ride 2 wheelers.