Bed size?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ohtwinmom, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

We're looking to upgrade our boys' beds.  Torn between a twin, twin w/ trundle ( for sleepovers) or full.  DH thinks the trundle is out for them because it creates more awkward sleep arrangements with twin and sleepovers.  They are tall but rooms are smallish.  Would like to get longer use out of this set of beds. 

What do you have?  How do you handle sleepovers at your house since I think we're getting to that stage soon now that we're 7?   Thanks!

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys each have a twin bed.  For sleepovers, they actually sleep in the basement, and everyone sleeps in a sleeping bag.  Occasionally, someone will sleep in their room, but usually in a sleeping bag on the floor, or we will use a sleeping bag on a cot--we have one for when DH goes camping, and can borrow another from a neighbor.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We have one girl in a full and one in a twin with two mattresses stacked. We can pull one mattress off and put it on the floor for sleepovers.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about bunk beds?  Do they share a room or are they in separate rooms?  We're planning to add 2 bedrooms on to our house, and we'll let our twins keep the bunk beds we currently have so they each have an extra bed in their room for sleepovers and such.

5. ohtwinmom

Separate rooms. 

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Same with us. And one of the reasons we have one full bed is because we can use that as a guest room when people come to visit and then put our girls together in the room with the two twins.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All three of my kids have full size beds. Bunk beds aren't an option because we live in a cape and have dormers. I love the full size for the reason Leighann mentioned. When my sister and her fiancé come over, the stay at my house and Annabella has a sleepover with the boys(she loves it!). I grew up with a twin, dh grew up with a full. Lol.

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys share a room and have full over full bunks. Not at sleepover stage yet but when I was little we either did sleeping bags or enough room to share bed, however they're comfortable:)

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Twins here. They still share a room (too much work to split them right now frankly). I slept in a twin bed until I bought my own futon when I was 17, so I don't think there's anything wrong with twin beds.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have bunk beds that are twins.

I also had a twin bed right through college. My dorm room was even a twin size bed.

11. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids have full size beds.  Their cribs converted to full size beds so that is what we went with.  When we get to the sleepover stage, they will sleep in the basement with sleeping bags. 

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I have 7 year twin girls in separate (small) rooms and we just moved from twin beds to twin size loft beds with a desk and dresser underneath.  They desperately needed more floor space.  Usually for sleepovers they sleep in the basement on couches or a blow up air mattress.  

13. ohtwinmom

Awesome!  Thanks everyone!

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

How about a loft? It would open up floor space.

We have twin over twin bunks but live in an apartment so space is limited.

I would go with twin to save floor space. Maybe a long twin (like college dorms) for when they get taller. I had a twin until I got married.

We dont have sleepovers yet, but it would be floor or air mattress!

For guests we have a full air mattress and a pullout sleeper sofa.