bed rest questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Raneysmama, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like DH will be able to bring his laptop home from work sometimes, so maybe I'll have more access while on bed rest than I thought. For those on bed rest, how do you type while laying down? I'm actually kind of half-sitting up to do this, but I know I should be laying down most of the time. Also, since I'm home by myself in the mornings, I have to get up to get myself drinks and food. I'm guessing this is okay for very short periods of time. What has helped you not to be up so much?

Thanks!

2. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like DH will be able to bring his laptop home from work sometimes, so maybe I'll have more access while on bed rest than I thought. For those on bed rest, how do you type while laying down? I'm actually kind of half-sitting up to do this, but I know I should be laying down most of the time. Also, since I'm home by myself in the mornings, I have to get up to get myself drinks and food. I'm guessing this is okay for very short periods of time. What has helped you not to be up so much?

Thanks!

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

When I was on bedrest I had a little lapdesk that I could put next to the couch with my computer on it. So I could surf while lying on my side. I also put a small dorm fridge next to the couch and kept yogurt, sandwiches, snacks, etc. in it so that I wouldn't have to get up to fix meals for myself while Dh was at work. I was only allowed up to go to the bathroom.

4. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I had the laptop on the coffee table pushed right up to the couch, it was the perfect height. I layed on my side and got used to the position fairly quickly. Someone prepared my meals for during the day and put them in the fridge, all I had to do was grab my sandwich on the way back from the bathroom. I got up to go to the bathroom only but on the way back I did fill my water bottle and get my meals. Once I arrived back to the couch I usually switched ends to create some variety, I know it sounds a little sad when actually typed out but that is how I got myself through.

5. hammondsquared

hammondsquared Well-Known Member

i think everyone's situation may be different, but here is how my bed rest plays out...

i kick back on a recliner, so i'm reclined most of the day. the dr. said that i could eat sitting up, and i've recently taken advantage of that because there is no room left in my stomach, so sitting up helps me digest the food better. i don't lay on my side except to sleep; however, i do elevate myself with a throw pillow under my butt on one side, so i can be tilted a little. i type with the laptop on my lap with a pillow underneath since it gets hot.

as far as food and water, if dh is at work (he works from home a few days a week, which is nice) i have six water bottles and a cooler of food. if i really want something, on a trip back from the bathroom, i get it.

i get up about 8 times a day to go to the bathroom. every other day i take a bath.

let's not forget about the weekly outing to the dr.'s office. [​IMG] i look forward to the fresh air, but it's weird to be out.

in the beginning i was so worried with things like, "am i reclined enough? am i putting pressure on my cervix?" i just do the best i can. if i had to lie down all day, i'd go insane. this recliner was a fantastic investment...and to think when my dh wanted one two years ago, i didn't want it...lol. [​IMG]

i get anywhere from 8-11 hours of sleep a day, which helps the time go by. i've been on bed rest since 1/13. my dr. said after 34 weeks, if i am going stir crazy, i can go to a movie or out to dinner once, as long as i'm not walking and being dropped off.

not sure if you're a tv fan...i DVR over 20 shows, so i keep busy watching tv. i have a schedule that i go by, according to the tv shows i watch, and it helps pass the time.

bed rest gets harder the bigger you get though, in my opinion. today has been difficult, but i'm now 35 weeks. some days are harder than others. i think what's important is being off of your feet, and you will notice a difference because you may feel less pelvic pressure. drink tons of water. i wish you the best and we understand what you are going through. [​IMG]

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I layed on my side, in bed since it was more comfy than the couch. Then I just put the laptop next to me. It was awkward, so I did more "surfing" than typing.

As for the food situation, I was under strict orders not to get up except to use the bathroom. So DH packed a cooler full of drinks, snacks, breakfast, and lunch. After a few weeks of bedrest, my doc eased up his orders, and I was given permission to make myself lunch and get snacks. Well, my cervix, after one week of this, was almost non-existant and I was put on hospital bedrest for 3 weeks! So with hindsight being what it is, I wish I had just let DH worry about the food!!!!

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I just remembered, using a 'real' mouse instead of the laptop one can help too!

8. kerrmommy

kerrmommy Well-Known Member

Make sure you check with your OB just what bed-rest means for you. I had mild-pre-e so I really was not allowed to get up much, but could sit reclined and go potty. But other than that, stair were def. out and that was the only way for me to get food, so I had to rely on my DH for that (before I was hospitalized anyway).

Others have much more freedom, some even less. If my pre-e had been worse, I am sure I would've had to saty laid down on my left side, wich would've made the 5weeks unbearable.

For the time I was home, my DH and I used walkie talkies so I could get him to bring me stuff. Otherwise he stocked me up on snaks and drinks and sandwiches before he left in the morning. Even a cooler next to your bed will work.

I know that this was not your question, but I just wanted to remind you to be very careful with how much you are doing.

9. First Snow

First Snow Member

hi, everyone,
    when you talk about bed rest, do you mean after you reach 28 weeks???
    I was wondering how best rest really works.

Please let me know at which week, you are actually on best rest without other activities?

Thanks,
    Esha

10. hammondsquared

hammondsquared Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by First Snow:
    hi, everyone,
    when you talk about bed rest, do you mean after you reach 28 weeks???
    I was wondering how best rest really works.

Please let me know at which week, you are actually on best rest without other activities?

Thanks,
    Esha

some people never have to go on bed rest. i went on bed rest at 30 and 1/2 weeks.

11. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

Yay! Good to know that you can still join us here from time to time. I suggest you clarify with your doc exactly what bedrest means. And ask specific questions like can you go up/down the stairs and how many times a day, etc. Some docs aren't too specific about this.

Take care!