Bed Rest Questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by JessicaHollenbeck, Jul 30, 2013.

Hi all!
    I went to the doc today and like last week he said to lay down, drink plenty of fluids, take it easy and rest. No lifting or pushing. I am aloud to make lunch, go to the bathroom, take a shower and, occasionally go out to dinner and a movie with the husband. I can also walk outside for 10-15 minutes a day. I am currently 21 weeks and going in to be monitored weekly. Being in this situation is harder than I thought. I cried after my appointment because I am so used to being a busy body all the time! The babies are doing fine he just is concerned with my backache and pelvic soreness. I guess it's just so hard to know what I should be and shouldn't be doing! Has anyone been down this road before? And this is my very first pregnancy!

Does anyone have any suggestions of crafts and such that they did when they were at home? Or how about good reads or movies!!

Thanks so much!'

1. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was put on bedrest at 25 weeks - due to high blood pressure.

I was fortunate that I could work from home for 7 weeks - so that kept me busy. The last four weeks I watched TV and napped.

Do you have Netflix? There are tons of TV series you can catch up on! Or Hulu Plus.

Good luck - I really believe bedrest helped me - I delivered at 36 weeks.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

What do you like to read? We have a book club forum that has led me to tons of great books! You should check it out.

You can always chat with us in here. ;) We'll talk your fingers off.

I've not been on bed rest, but while my girls were in the NICU I lived in a Ronald McDonald House and was bored more often than not. I watched tv shows on Netflix (Dexter!) and read home improvement blogs. I became really active here during that time. I read TONS of books during those weeks.

What sort of crafts do you like? You could knit or paint.

Let us know what you come up with! And always feel free to start silly or conversational threads (about anything in the world) in the Twinstuff Club. We'll keep you company.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest at home due to PTL from 20 weeks onward. Luckily, I was able to work from home - that really was a sanity saver. Apart from that I read lots of books, crotcheted several baby blankets (knitting or crotcheting are fairly easy to do in bed) and napped a lot. I also tried to ask a friend to come over and bring a meal once a week if possible - for a chat and a change.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Hang in there. Bestrest is hard. I was on it with my twins which was my second pregnancy. I had to have family be with my oldest DD or take her for the day while I was on bedrest. I read books, watched TV and movies...anything that I could do. It is hard to get used to, but it's the best thing for your babies. That's really nice you are still able to get up and go for walks, go to dinner or a movie. You will figure out what works for you. :hug:

5. Thank you so much ladies! In a world so big it's so wonderful to know that there are people who understand and have been through it! I just hope I don't go on strict bed rest!!! I think if I take it easy and rest as much as possible that will definitely help determine that! Also, the doc told me to always be in a reclined position, not sitting up and on my side...sometimes I wake up on my back! And sometimes it's more comfortable to recline on my back than my side! Ugh I hope it's ok, I just want to be comfortable and even though I am only 21 weeks I feel uncomfortable all the time!'

It truly makes my day when I feel the little ones kicking :) I'm sure all of you can agree that it is the best thing in pregnancy especially if you are on modified or strict bed rest...they are with you ;-)

Yesterday at my ultra sound our little boy (wish I could post pics of US on here!) was in what looked like an uncomfortable position but they said they see it all the time! Also, our little boys feet are near his sisters head and occasionally we saw him kicking her!!! I was so worried but the doc didn't seem concerned and I am sure that the amniotic fluid is forgiving :) I find I worry more as I am resting more, I guess I have more time to think! Lol!

Thanks again ladies and I look forward to chatting with you all over the upcoming months!! Keep me updated on your journeys and experiences I love to read them!!!

<3

6. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I was side-lying for almost 6 weeks except for bathroom use, showers, and going to OB appts. I would sit up once in awhile in bed if it didn't make my contractions worse. I read, listened to audio books, crocheted, emailed/spent time on the lap top, organized my recipes, organized our grocery trips with the ads every week, read to my daughter.