BCP Question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by PurpleNurple, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

This is the 1st time i have ever experienced this and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else...

I usually skip every other month's AF by going directly to the next pack, skipping the placebo's.
    I recently started a new type of pills (estrogen & progesteron - I was taking POP pills while I was BF'ing). I started them last month, and I am on my 2nd pack.
    This month, I am taking my placibo's so I can get back on track with the "days" printed on the pill's packaging (The pills I was talking before came with custom stickers)
    So I start my new pack tomorrow...and I have not had an AF during this down time.
    A few times this week, I have some light cramps, but no period.
    I have never experienced this before, and I took BCP's for a year before the twins were born.
    Has this happened to anyone? Is it normal to miss a period, when taking placebo's between packs?

Em

2. PurpleNurple

This is the 1st time i have ever experienced this and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else...

I usually skip every other month's AF by going directly to the next pack, skipping the placebo's.
    I recently started a new type of pills (estrogen & progesteron - I was taking POP pills while I was BF'ing). I started them last month, and I am on my 2nd pack.
    This month, I am taking my placibo's so I can get back on track with the "days" printed on the pill's packaging (The pills I was talking before came with custom stickers)
    So I start my new pack tomorrow...and I have not had an AF during this down time.
    A few times this week, I have some light cramps, but no period.
    I have never experienced this before, and I took BCP's for a year before the twins were born.
    Has this happened to anyone? Is it normal to miss a period, when taking placebo's between packs?

Em

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I've never missed AF when doing the placebos, but I wonder if you body is still adjusting to the new pills from the POP's. Sorry, not much advice. Keep us posted.

4. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

I would test just in case but sometimes I will not start untill day 6 of the placebos. HTH.

5. stumpstress

stumpstress Well-Known Member

I am/was doing the same thing (prescribed by my dr), where I took 3 months worth then had a period. When I got off the POP, it took some time for me to adjust to doing that. I had some bleeding while on the pill, then sometimes when doing the week off it would take more than the normal day or two to have a period. I think I fully skipped one period, but then had bleeding a few weeks later while taking the regular pills. One month I decided not to take anything and have a normal cycle, then I started a new pillpack on the Sunday of my period--that seemed to help & the intermittent bleeding wasn't so weird. After about a year of using individual packs & skipping placebos, I was put on Seasonale. If you're doing it on your own right now, tell your dr--some pills are cyclic in dosing & don't work as well for doing the 2-3 month thing. Maybe a switch in brand/formula would work better.

I had similar experiences to what you've described probably the first 6mo or so. If you a super concerned, then a pg test can't hurt. For me, I think it was just the transition from POP to a new routine, & I just had to give it time to even out.
    HTH!
    -penny

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

You probably don't have enough of one of the hormones to stimulate bleeding. I would call your doctor to see if she can balance you out. She might say it will take a couple of months and then call her again.

7. PurpleNurple

Well, I started spotting a few hours after I posted the question. I had been feeling a tad crampy, but finally I started spotting. It has stopped and I am starting a new pack today.
    You're probably right, it is likely going to take a while to get my system all lined up again and the hormones to trigger AF when it's supposed to. But hey, I can't complain about not having a period! It was nice! LOL!!

Em