Balance bikes for x-mas?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mich9904, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mich9904

mich9904 New Member

Hi All,

This past weekend, we were at an event that had balance bikes. Our twins, who just turned three last month, immediately jumped on them and started riding them. I'm considering buying them balance bikes for x-mas. But, I'm wondering which brand I should buy. Is there a brand that someone could recommend? I've looked at a variety of name brands online, and the brand we tried at the event was from a local store (they were the wooden bikes).

Thanks!
    Michelle

2. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I bought these for the boys in the spring from Woot with the intention of giving them to the boys on their birthday but I didn’t feel at that time one of my boys was quite tall enough so they are still in the garage and I have contemplated giving them to them for Christmas but not sure how much they will actually be able to ride them with the crummy weather. I like the wooden ones but felt they would get pretty beat up since they don’t have a kick stand. I also recently saw some Chicco brand ones at Costco for only $28 great price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z47PEM/?tag=mytwins02-20

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We really liked the Strider one. We only had one (we borrowed it from a friend), but it seemed sturdy and easy to ride. Plus, it was lightweight for the parent who will inevitably wind up carrying it. (I could even push the double Mountain Buggy with both kids in the seats and the Strider laid across the top of the canopy.)

My nephews have a Skuut bike and they seem to like that a lot too. But I think the Strider is a little easier to glide on, once they learn to do that with both feet up, because they can prop their feet on the body of the bike.

There's also another brand that actually has a little platform designed specifically for that purpose, but I can't remember what the name is....

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Love our strider!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My girls love their Striders. Since they're metal, we can leave the bikes outside. Can't do that with the wood ones!

6. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

We had the Striders also. My kids are four and they still like to ride them!

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Costco has some for sale right now. It's just another place to shop if you are looking for them.

8. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

A girlfriend of mine has twin boys and they bought their boys bikes and took off the chain and pedals (now they own a bike shop so they know how to do this sort of thing). But it saved them from having to buy two bikes especialy since their boys are tall and we all know the kids grow so fast. Once they were able to balance they put the chain and pedals back on and do not need training wheels. They are 3.5 years old!

9. EricaM

EricaM Well-Known Member

Looks like Kazam are the ones with the platform thing for the feet.

We just bought my girls (turning 3 in a week!) these ones for Christmas - got an incredible deal for them over the weekend.

10. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

We are Strider fans here, too ... they have a place for your feet as well, just not as platform-y as the Kazam.

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we have the Kettler ones like here I think it's called "Kiddi-o" balance bike

they do great on them!! these have a hand brake, but ours still don't get how to use that yet. they do have the kick stand which is great. I do wish they had a little spot for them to put their feet while they coast.

ours got them right at 2 yrs 9 months and they had to be in the lowest position, we'd tried to take the chain and pedals off of other 12" bikes, but the seats on those still didn't get low enough for them to actually have the kids ride them. so that didn't work for us.

good luck! I LOVE the balance bikes!! it really gives the kids the confidence to ride bikes.