Bad ENT follow up for DD

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jenn-, Dec 4, 2006.

1. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

For those that don't remember DD had tubes put in back at the beginning of April. Her right tube has already stopped functioning. At her 6mo post op she had decreased hearing in her right ear and what a shocker an ear infection. So 3 wks later after a round of Augmentin and Nasonex the fluid is still there and her hearing is worse. The ENT said at this time of year it would be a waste of time to wait and see if it would ever clear (history says it won't). Since she has also had repeated strep throat cases the ENT wants to put new tubes in both ears, and take her tonsils and adnoids out (she sleeps with her mouth open and head propped which is a sign of adnoid issues). Needless to say the day after Christmas she is having surgery. She is going to spend the second half of her Christmas break in pain.

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

For those that don't remember DD had tubes put in back at the beginning of April. Her right tube has already stopped functioning. At her 6mo post op she had decreased hearing in her right ear and what a shocker an ear infection. So 3 wks later after a round of Augmentin and Nasonex the fluid is still there and her hearing is worse. The ENT said at this time of year it would be a waste of time to wait and see if it would ever clear (history says it won't). Since she has also had repeated strep throat cases the ENT wants to put new tubes in both ears, and take her tonsils and adnoids out (she sleeps with her mouth open and head propped which is a sign of adnoid issues). Needless to say the day after Christmas she is having surgery. She is going to spend the second half of her Christmas break in pain.

3. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

Oh what a bummer! I'm sorry the tubes are having such problems and that she has to go through even more surgery. I hope in the long run it will be worth it with reduced illness and all, but I know no matter what it's hard to see your daugther going through so much and being in pain post op. I'll keep good thoughts for a smooth surgery and quick recovery. [​IMG]

4. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

OH I am so sorry to read this Jenn! That really stinks! Of all the things...tubes usually work so well! Your poor little daughter must have a doozey of an ear infection problem!

I hope the new surgery goes speedily and as painlessly as possible. Poor little sprite! And poor mom! [​IMG] Stock up on ice cream soon and just pamper her all week after the surgery. Maybe it will even emerge as a happy memory someday!

5. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

Poor girl!
    I hope that the surgery goes well and she has a speedy recovery!
    My Isaac had a second set of tubes inserted in October ( plus he had his adenoids removed at the same time). He has chronic hearing loss, so we too could not wait and just did the surgery right away. It took him about a week to get back to normal, but the recovery was not too hard.
    Good luck, and lets hope that she won't have the ear infections anymore and her hearing improves! [​IMG]

6. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Aww, so sorry to hear that your dd is having so much ear trouble. I hope all goes well with her surgery and that she won't suffer too much [​IMG].

7. lettered olive

lettered olive Well-Known Member

I bet she will be so much better after having the adenoids out. My DS's adenoids were removed a couple weeks ago, he slept a lot like your DD. They had gotten worse and worse over the course of a year to the point that they were so enlarged that they were completely blocking the eustachian tubes!!! The doc said he didn't think he was even able to breathe through his nose. We didn't know any of this until he removed them during surgery. He had so much thick mucous in his ears that he was put on an oral antibiotic AND drops in the ear to keep the tubes from getting clogged up.

The difference is miraculous. He breathes like a little mouse now, I can't even hear him! Mouth closed! It's very peaceful. And as for the constant infected mucous that was in his ears and coming out of his nose (because it had no where else to go at the time), now it is all a thing of the past!!! I haven't used a single kleenex since the surgery. He has no snot whatsoever. He is a very happy boy.

Good luck with the surgery, I bet it will be worth it.

Karen

8. Sweetbabylovex2

Sweetbabylovex2 Active Member