baby nursed every 1.5 hours last night

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Feb 23, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

we truly attempted to give the baby a bottle at some point last night as she awoke every 1.5 hours to eat.
    she refused a bottle and only wanted me. i had to feed her every hour and a half. needless to say I'm a walking zombie at the moment. i did not BF the twins at night; we supplemented them with pumped BM and formula to get us through the nights.

when does this 'end?'

my milk really seemed to come in last night as i was dripping a lot.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's a growth spurt. She's eating a ton and telling your body that all the extra milk you thought you had yesterday is her's. ;) Feed, feed, feed and more feed her for a few nights and she'll settle down. I also would feed every hour from 4-9 during this time which usually bought me a little sleep as it was usually 3 nights - just when I wanted to tear my hair out they'd stop and I would plan to leave them with Dh and be alone for a couple of hours. :youcandoit:

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unfortunately, very normal! Now that your milk has come in though, I expect it'll get better. Hang in there!

4. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Have you attempted side lying nursing? It can be hard to get the hang of the first two weeks, I think I wasn't really able to do so with Drex until he was 6 weeks, but I did it earlier with my twins. That way you can doze off while feeding the baby and get more rest.

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

when will it begin to lengthen?
    anyone have an idea?

she's nursing every 2 hours during the day....

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Daytime nursing doesn't usually lengthen out much - every 2 - 3 hours throughout your nursing relationship is pretty common. You may find as she settles into a good nap routine that you'll get a 4 hour stretch in the morning, with the time between nursing sessions shortening as the day goes, but every baby is different & every set of breasts is different. Emmett is nursing every 2.5 hours on average at 3 months. Sometimes he wants to eat more frequently, sometimes not. Something I read once from another mom that gave me a new perspective on all the nursing was that, when you have older kids, nursing frequently forces you to sit & be calm for a little while with your baby, just hanging out with her/him. I really like that because I find that so much of my other time is still focused on my older two.

7. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Emma will be 8 weeks tomorrow and she nurses every 2 to 3 hours around the clock. Good luck, the lack of sleep is a killer!

8. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is going to continue for a while.
    My son is 3 months old and still nurses every 2-3 hours during the day. I get one stretch of usually 4-6 hours (6 is rare) at night, but we're still doing that middle of the night feeding.
    And, yes, I'm exhausted because I have to get up early with two toddlers!
    I think this is just the name of the game. I keep telling myself that in a few more months, hopefully, I will be getting a bit more sleep!

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that bottling is quicker during the night than BFing?
    I have done both (my older boys were mostly bottle-fed BM) and I personally think it's quicker to BF in those wee hours. No bottle preparation.

Hang in there! You have lots of company.

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My 3.5 month old is still eating every 2-3 hours during the day. He is sleeping for 8ish hours at night.

The only advantage I can think of to giving a bottle at night is that someone else can do it and you can sleep, which can definitely be helpful!

10. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

But it can also be harmful because every feeding that isn't from the breast needs to be replaced by a much less effective pumping session. If the breast arent drained/stimulated then breatmilk production starts to decrease.

This will pass and things will get better. its her job to ramp up your supply to where she needs it - healthy food digest quickly and you're giving her the best nature has to offer!