baby can climb out of crib

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Dec 9, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

with my twins, they transitioned very smoothly into a toddler bed at around 2.5/3.
    my LO will be 2 in february and she has been able to climb out of her crib and onto her dresser which is next to her crib since 16 months!
    she fell OUT of her crib once, too!  we can not drop the mattress and was wondering if anyone transitioned into a toddler bed at around 2

she is SO good - but im worried about what it would be like for her to transition so young.  with the twins, we had their old cribs in our room for a while so we were able to almost 'threaten' then back into their 'baby' beds which they were not having.

not sure if i can reason so much with a 2-year old.  ;)

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We just did the same thing with my son a few months ago, before he turned 2.  I even posted about it!  I'll look for the post.

Same thing though, he was climbing out onto his dresser so we just changed his bed over.  It was awful for a week but he was fine after that.  Just a lot of putting him back in his bed, and making sure his bedroom is pretty empty of well, everything. 

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

have you tried putting her in a sleep sack.  we just went back to sleep sacks when we walked in to find DD with her legs hanging over the crib!

I like these by halo.  (they have smaller sizes too). Essentially it makes it so they can't get their legs up to climb out.  My SIL's sister (with 3 boys) also said sewing the legs together on their sleepers works too or two legs in one hole.. but that seems kind of uncomfortable :p

Extra bonus- if you put the sleep sack on backward they can't take their pjs off! 

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We transitioned at 26 months.  We used bed rails so that it would be harder for them to get out of their toddler beds.  We left the bed rails for about a month or so, then took them off, and had no problems at all.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We transitioned the girls to floor beds at 18 months and my singleton has been in a floor bed since birth. It's totally doable - just give her time to adjust to the new routine. :)

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD was like yours, climbing out of the crib before two.  Mine was 19 months when she decided that she would like to join the Flying Wallendas.  
    We did transition her out of the crib.  In our experience, she did need some adjustment time.  It took her about 2-3 weeks before she would settle down at nap time, at night she had no problem going to sleep.  What I did at nap time was sit in the room with her, not say a word and just quietly put her back to bed.  Eventually she was napping fine.
    My son transitioned at 3 and it was a breeze with him, he didn't miss a beat.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jon started climbing out at 21 months, so we got him a crib tent.  In my mind, if he isn't able to understand, "stay in crib", then he was also too young to understand "stay in bed".  The crib tent was great for another 6 months until we put them both in beds at 2 1/2.

9. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids started to jump out of their cribs around 18-20 months. We dropped the mattress to the floor and we started putting their sleep sack on backwards. They remained in cribs until they turned 3. We got them full beds at 3 and we never had issues with them getting out of bed but my daughter stopped napping. Knowing her, I am sure she would have stopped napping at 2 if we took her out of the crib - that was the main reason we tried to keep them in cribs as long as possible.

10. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Could you move the dresser or the crib so the incentive to climb is less or do you think she would climb anyway? I think that climbing means moving from cribs to toddler beds, for me it is safety issue.

We transitioned a little after the second birthday and is went pretty smoothly: a few nights of sitting with them and taking them back to bed with minimal interaction seemed to be enough. Mine loved us to stay with them for a bit after lights out and our deal was that we would stay as long as they were quiet and stayed in their beds. If things got wild we left and gated their bedroom which they hated so we only had to do it 2 or 3 times.