at what point do they check

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Heathermomof5, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

to see if you are dialated? I have been having contractions and
    I tell the doctor but they have NEVER checked my cervix.
    the peri looked one time with the ultrasound and said it was
    3.5 or 4? that was at like 28 weeks -(i'm 34wks now) last week when I went I asked them to look and the tech said that I was too far along at this point and she could not see? anyone else get this far along
    and not been checked? should I insist?

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

to see if you are dialated? I have been having contractions and
    I tell the doctor but they have NEVER checked my cervix.
    the peri looked one time with the ultrasound and said it was
    3.5 or 4? that was at like 28 weeks -(i'm 34wks now) last week when I went I asked them to look and the tech said that I was too far along at this point and she could not see? anyone else get this far along
    and not been checked? should I insist?

3. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing ... at my U/S last week I asked if they were going to check the cervix and she said she couldn't, too far along, unless she did it vaginally ... I go in on Wed for that strep B test and I'm assuming he's going to check then??? If not I'm going to ask him about it, it would sure be nice to know if I'm still closed, dialated, what-have-you.

4. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

It is usually your Dr. who determines when and how often you are checked. My Dr. is definitely more conservative and I was first checked at my 24 week appointment. I will probably be checked again at my 28 week appointment even though I have not been having any problems so far. If it is a concern for you I would definitely press the issue and ask your Dr. to check you, especially since you have been having contractions; no matter how far along you are.
    Remember you are not only a patient but a PAYING client and deserve to have the best care, it only takes 1 minute to check you but that minute could make all the difference. do not be scared to demand they provide you with proper care.
    Good luck and I hope all is well!! [​IMG]

5. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that's odd, especially if you've been having contractions. My peri checks me monthly with a transvaginal wand so from that perspective it wouldn't matter how far along you were, it's not like they're trying to get a view of the cervix via your crowded uterus.

I'm pretty sure I remember you're having a planned c-section so this really surprises me. Several of my twin mom friends who'd scheduled c-sections (and were 32 + weeks along) & were having contractions saw their (my) peri, peri checked cervix w/ U/S wand, and b/c they were a few cm. dilated peri said, "go to the hospital now, you're having the section today"!

I hope you insist on being checked, only because my local peri is revered nationally and one of the few drs. I've had in my life whom I totally trust. He shows a tremendous amount of compassion, understanding and is more thorough than any dr. I've ever encountered. I hope I don't sound pushy, I just want you to have a healthy/smooth outcome!! [​IMG]

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I was 35 weeks before they started doing manual checks, but I wasn't having any issues that would warrent it. If you're having contractions, I would ask for them to check you. I know that they did check my cervix at every u/s, but didn't always tell me and you couldn't tell that they were doing it.

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Will your doc stop labor now that you are beyond 34 weeks? It could be they don't want to check you because some docs fear checking can cause action which might be even more probable if you are already contracting. I am wondering why you are thinking about insisting on being checked? What will you do with the information and how will it change anything? I understand the desire to know for the sake of knowing but I don't see how it would help with anything.

8. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Stephanie only had one check and that was at 35 weeks..
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

quote:
    It could be they don't want to check you because some docs fear checking can cause action which might be even more probable if you are already contracting.

Dianne is right, they usually don't like to do a manual check for this reason. They stopped checking me by ultrasound at 33 weeks. I had a manual check at 35 weeks. They generally don't like to do a whole lot of poking around up there for fear it will bring on labor.

10. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

i would just ask if he could check you, if there is a reason he is not I'm sure he would share it with you. [​IMG]

11. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

My Dr. does a transvaginal ultrasound every 4 weeks to check my cervical lenght. I've had one or two manual checks when I have complained of cramps.

12. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Just because you are not getting transvaginal u/s or getting checked manually does not mean your doc isn't aware of your cervical length. If your cervix has length, you're not dilated. You said your doctor told you your cervix was over 3.5 cm, and that is GREAT...not even in a danger zone. My peri can check with a transabdominal ultrasound. Not every doc's equipment will do this. If you are hearing a cervical length like you mentioned, you are not dilated and you are being monitored.

13. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

They never checked to see if I was dialated. I don't know if it was because I was having a re-peat c-section or what. My MD felt that checking could cause more problems than not checking.

Angel

14. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I've only been checked three times; two when I was in the hospital with contractions. The other by wand. My ob doesn't want to "stir anything up" especially since they will not try to stop labor if it's in progress.
    No sex, for the same reason ...

15. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Have not been checked and won't be. Having repeat c/s so he won't check me unless i'm in labor.