ARGHHHHHH!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by xavier2001, Jul 14, 2008.

1. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

Ok, so we worked soooo hard in the beginning to develop good napping habits, and our hard work was paying off, I had two babies that would lay down, cuddle with their lovies and be asleep in 10-15 minutes. Now we have entered this new phase, playing with each other instead of sleeping. This morning it's been going on for 45 minutes with no end in sight. They aren't crying, they are up their laughing and playing and keeping each other awake. I don't know whether to go in or not. At the 20 minute mark I went in and laid them back down only to have them playing again before I even made it downstairs.

Suggestions??? I want my good nappers back!!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I wouldn't go in unless they were crying. I remember the same thing happening around that age, and they finally learned that, although it was really fun to play, they needed their sleep too, and those playtimes got shorter. We went through it again around 22 months when we made the switch to beds, and I am now separating for nap times only. Good luck!

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Well, since mine are upstairs singing and dancing instead of napping as I am typing this, maybe I'm not the best example... But in our case, they would go through times where they go to sleep really well, and times that they play. We just kept things consistent, and they went back to their good napping/sleeping shortly.

4. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

Our babies are almost the same age and we are going through the same thing. They get themselves so worked up it's sometimes impossible to calm down for a nap. It helps a little if one is already asleep or almost asleep when the other goes down. It takes the audience away. Unfortunately the drawback is the more awake child may wake his brother up and he's never in a good mood about it.
    When the laughter turns to fussing I go in and put my standing baby down on his back and give him his soother and blankie. He's sometimes standing before I leave the room again. I try to calm the loudest twin with head rubbing and shushing. Sometimes I break my 'no pick up' rule and pick up the loudest for a rock and more shushing.
    My worry now is that this will start all over again as soon as twin B learns how to stand up in bed too.

5. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

Ok, nap #2 today, same thing, I took your suggestions and did NOT go in, 49 grueling minutes later they are both sleeping. It just amazes me that they are so sleepy and crabby when I lay them down and then play happily for so long before going to sleep. Oh well, at least they aren't crying.

Thanks for the advice!!

6. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

OMG! This has been going on for 3 WEEKS now for me! I have no words of wisdom, except *most* of the time they do go to sleep before the hour is up. If not then I free them after an hour.

Good luck!! Hope it resolves fast!!

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine go thru this every once in awhile. I leave them in there to 'nap' and if they decide to sleep so be it, but if they want to play with each other they will for at least an hour.. momma's NEED nap time! Eventually my girls do start napping again. GL!