Approximately how far along were you when you went into labor?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by BBsMommy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. BBsMommy

BBsMommy New Member

I am on pregnancy number 3 with identical twin girls. I am curious as to what I should expect as far as going into labor, how to avoid it, what I should watch for, what the "average" gestational age for labor is. I am a waitress and I work full time, so I was curious as to if tthis could have an effect on me as far as going into labor early, should I cut back, any advice would be great, also, how many of you had c sections versus vaginal births?

2. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I think it depends on too many factors for us to be able to really tell you. My oldest was born full term, perfect pregnancy. My ID twin girls were born at 35 weeks and 3 days due to preeclampsia that came on around 30 weeks, up until then my pregnancy with them had been going great. In fact we didn't even know we were expecting twins until our first ultrasound at 22 weeks. So you just really don't know. I would think though that with being a waitress and on your feet all the time that you would probably have to cut back or take early maternity leave, but that probably depends on how your pregnancy is progressing. Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck and congrats!

3. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Totally depends!
    My first, born early at 35 weeks. I commuted, worked long hours, etc....
    Twins INDUCED at 38 weeks and 2 days! They didn't want to come out. LOL.

4. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Average gestation for twins is 35-36 weeks, from my understanding. Mine were induced, born at 38w2d. My oldest came naturally, but 9 days late.

5. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

I went into labor at 33w5d but delivered at 34w1d

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Apparently I was in labor when I went in for my 38 week scheduled c-section. No BH before that.

7. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37w3d with the twinkies, my DS1 was 6 days overdue and DS2 was 11 days early. It really depends on each pregnancy i guess[​IMG]

Congratulations on the pregnancy!![​IMG]

8. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Every twin pregnancy is different, and the best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. If you have any questions or doubts whatsoever, don't hesitate to call your Dr.

At 24 weeks I just didn't feel right, nothing I could really pinpoint, something just felt off. I called my Dr., and she had me go into L&D where much to my surprise I found out I was in PTL, had a funneling cervix, and a positive fFN. I was on hospital bedrest from then on out. I am so thankful that I called my Dr when I did or the outcome may have been completely different. Best of Luck to you! :hug:

9. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

I had my boys at 35w4d.

10. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Started having some pre-labor at 38w 5d, after which we kick-started real labor with castor oil. Delivery at 39w of our identical twin girls.

BTW, I worked full time (office job) until 38w 5d and walked on my lunch hour daily about 2 miles. But I think I was more active than the norm. I think waitressing at the end of your pregnancy would be tough. Maybe you could switch to a less intense duty nearer to the end?

Also, as other moms said, every pregnancy is different. It's hard to plan for, and having identical twins could throw a wrench in things. If your girls are mono-di your doc might want to take them out early to avoid TTTS, which is rare but worth keeping an eye out for.

Best wishes on a long and healthy pregnancy!

11. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

My OB advised that I stay very well hydrated and sleep and rest on my left side to help ward off pre-term labor.

He also specializes in mothers with a multiple gestation and monitors us biweekly for risk factors (increased blood pressure, shortened cervix, etc.).

Regarding the cervix, he measures the length and views the shape of the cervix via ultrasound every other week. He stated that changes can come quickly and are big indicators of pre-term labor. Therefore, if we see a shortening or change-in-shape, then I will be prescribed an intervention such as bed-rest or a stitch.

Until we see any indicators for pre-term labor, I'm allowed to continue my regular work and daily activities.

Best of luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

12. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

I went for an office visit at 36 weeks in the late afternoon. It was the only office visit where they did not check my cervix. My doctor scheduled another growth scan for the next week and he joked with me that I couldn't have the babies over the weekend while he was out of town. He was fairly sure I would make it at least another week.
    DH and I left the office, had dinner at Coney Island (chili cheese fries were my friend) and walked around Target and then Kohls for almost 2 hours. We went home and went to bed and I felt fine. I woke at around 2am and felt like I needed to pee and as soon as I rolled over in bed I felt a pop. After going to the bathroom and realizing I couldn't stop I realized my water had broken. My boys were born close to 6am by c-section at 36 weeks one day. I never had any contractions that I could feel.

As for avaoiding labor, my doctor doesn't do cervix checks after 36 weeks to avoid any "disruption." He always told me to drink a ton of water and to walk if I felt comfortable with it. He also wanted to make sure I was getting enough sleep and that I was eating enough, especially near the end when my appetitie was gone. I work at an office job, but it is fairly high stress. I started working half days at 27 weeks and was pulled out of work completely at 30 weeks. I was ordered to relax at home for the last few weeks and I feel that it was beneficial for me, especially since my boys were born at good weights and were healthy. When my boys were born that morning it was considered an emergency since it wasn't scheduled. Since I had gone into labor on my own, my doc was willing to let me try for a vaginal delivery, however after an u/s that morning to determine their placement, he quickly rescinded his offer of a try for vaginal and we went right into the OR.

13. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have identical girls and my water broke at 36 weeks 4 days. I delivered at 36 weeks 5 days, vaginally.

14. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Right, forgot to add: we had an unmedicated, vaginal birth.

15. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

My twins were babies 3 & 4 for DH and me. My OB said that the best predictor, statistically, for the length of pregnancy is previous pregnancy. I had elective c-sections all three times and made it to my scheduled date without a hitch:

DD 38+1
    DS 38+6
    ID boys 38+5

16. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I was 35 w 1 day when I went into labor, I delivered the next day at 35w 2 days. They were born vaginally.

17. Pitbullzz

Pitbullzz Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Stay as active while you can while listening to your body.

My DW delivered at 24 weeks 5 days, but mostly due to an incompetent cerivx.(that is what they pretty much determined it was).

She was very active at work and at the gym, but our Doctor was very pro-healthy. He said it's the hardest thing you are ever going to ask your body to do, so being in shape is VERY important.

Main thing...listen to your body. My DW did...just had this "odd" cramp. She goes to the hospital and was 10cm dialated and the boy was kicking the nurses fingers...