Anyone with kids who remove diapers and poop?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by swiertel, May 20, 2008.

1. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

My guys were 2 in Dec. We've been working really hard at potty training. They will pee on the potty all day long (sometimes intiated on their own, but mostly when we take them). They've never pooped yet. HOWEVER...they have both started this new thing when in their cribs for their nap, they will remove their diaper and just poop right in the crib!!! It's absolutely GROSS! DS has even done it on the floor 2 times! Any suggestions?????

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We're card-holding members of the poop in your bed club (also on the floor, in a shoe, in a bowl from the kitchen cabinet, in a trash can... you get the idea). I told them that they need to call me when it's time to poop and that pooping their bed is YUCKY. There were consequences (no favorite puppy/frog blanket because it's in the wash since it was pooped on). It took time and we still have an incident here and there but it won't last forever so hang in there.

ETA: the good news is that it shows knowledge of the need and some control over when they go so once they decide they want to poop in the potty, they won't have any more accidents. We also use bribery here for pooping in the potty (no bribes for pee needed).

3. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

My oldest did the same thing! So far, I've caught my little girls before they can rip off their poopy diapers, but I'm sure I won't catch them all. Ugh. Try to take it as a good potty training sign...they are on the right track.
    6 months from now, this will all be a funny/horrible memory, right??!!

4. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

Thankfully I don't have this problem yet, but while reading your post I was thinking duck tape might be a solution? :laughing:

5. mbcrox

mbcrox Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have finally conquered this problem and hope I can help you! My twins turned 2 the end of October. They did this same thing. I was so frustrated. I did use duct tape but soon they learned to pull that off, so I began wrapping the duct tape around so that the seams were at the back of their diaper, but they also learned to pull that off. I then had to take a second piece of duct tape and tuck it in the top of their diaper to cover the seam of the 1st piece that went around their waist and that worked for quite a while. At night, I would pin their sleepers closed at the top and that also worked. It was a hastle to do this and harder to remove diapers after naps. They began to play with the safety pins so I cut the feet to the sleepers out and put the sleepers on backwards!! (It's so hard to stay one step ahead sometimes!!!) Anyway, guess what finally worked for good? One day, I went into their room and they had wiggled out of the diapers with the duct tape. (sigh) I told the boys that "little boys who take off their clothes and diapers, will stay in bed when mommy comes to get them after their naps". I put back on diapers and clothes and put them back in bed and repeated that same statement. I left them in bed for about 20 min. to give them time to make that choice. (of course they were mad because they had finished their naps!) anyway, when I went back, one twin was undressed while the other one was still all dressed. (The dressed twin remembered and when he saw me, pointed out his clothes!) I took him out of bed, hugs and kisses and again repeated the statement for both boys! I put him down to play and cleaned up after the 2nd boy (who had removed his clothes and had an accident in bed) This time, instead of putting clean sheets on his bed after cleaning it up, I told him I had to wash the sheets so he would need to stay in the bed without them. I then again, diapered and dressed him repeated the statement and put him back to bed for another 15 or so minutes. He cried, of course, but when I went back, he was dressed! He was so happy to show me that. Of course, hugs and kisses and he got up. I continued to do this each time I put them to bed, tucking in the boys and repeating the statement and each boy has only taken his clothes off one more time, at different naps. (I guess they each had to test me) I did the same thing when they tested me and alas, we have conquered this problem and no longer do I have to put sleepers on backwards or anything!!!! I wish I would have thought of this sooner. Anyway, to do this right, you have to make sure to be very MATTER OF FACT! DO NOT SHOW YOUR FRUSTRATIONS OR ANGER, THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT. Does this make sense? I hope it works for you. I remember how frustrating this was for me. GOOD LUCK!

Mary

6. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mbcrox @ May 21 2008, 01:20 PM) [snapback]785039[/snapback]
    Hi,

I have finally conquered this problem and hope I can help you! My twins turned 2 the end of October. They did this same thing. I was so frustrated. I did use duct tape but soon they learned to pull that off, so I began wrapping the duct tape around so that the seams were at the back of their diaper, but they also learned to pull that off. I then had to take a second piece of duct tape and tuck it in the top of their diaper to cover the seam of the 1st piece that went around their waist and that worked for quite a while. At night, I would pin their sleepers closed at the top and that also worked. It was a hastle to do this and harder to remove diapers after naps. They began to play with the safety pins so I cut the feet to the sleepers out and put the sleepers on backwards!! (It's so hard to stay one step ahead sometimes!!!) Anyway, guess what finally worked for good? One day, I went into their room and they had wiggled out of the diapers with the duct tape. (sigh) I told the boys that "little boys who take off their clothes and diapers, will stay in bed when mommy comes to get them after their naps". I put back on diapers and clothes and put them back in bed and repeated that same statement. I left them in bed for about 20 min. to give them time to make that choice. (of course they were mad because they had finished their naps!) anyway, when I went back, one twin was undressed while the other one was still all dressed. (The dressed twin remembered and when he saw me, pointed out his clothes!) I took him out of bed, hugs and kisses and again repeated the statement for both boys! I put him down to play and cleaned up after the 2nd boy (who had removed his clothes and had an accident in bed) This time, instead of putting clean sheets on his bed after cleaning it up, I told him I had to wash the sheets so he would need to stay in the bed without them. I then again, diapered and dressed him repeated the statement and put him back to bed for another 15 or so minutes. He cried, of course, but when I went back, he was dressed! He was so happy to show me that. Of course, hugs and kisses and he got up. I continued to do this each time I put them to bed, tucking in the boys and repeating the statement and each boy has only taken his clothes off one more time, at different naps. (I guess they each had to test me) I did the same thing when they tested me and alas, we have conquered this problem and no longer do I have to put sleepers on backwards or anything!!!! I wish I would have thought of this sooner. Anyway, to do this right, you have to make sure to be very MATTER OF FACT! DO NOT SHOW YOUR FRUSTRATIONS OR ANGER, THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT. Does this make sense? I hope it works for you. I remember how frustrating this was for me. GOOD LUCK!

Mary

OMG!!! That is hysterical!!! I guess that is the 1002nd use for duct tape!! :laughing: I'll have to remember your technique (not the taping, the reinforcing!! :lol: )