anyone not vaccinate their children

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jessica 2onway, Jan 25, 2007.

Just curious, my boys are 9 weeks and due for shots. After a family members baby came down with autism after vaccine I did some looking into the subject. It's so scary what I found. The problem is my boys might have to go to daycare, or preschool, for sure public school. How can they go if I choose not to vaccinate ? What will my pedi say ? I'm sure she will think I'm crazy as I am an RN working on my NP. Any input would be great as I don't know what to do.
    Thanks Jessica

1. Just curious, my boys are 9 weeks and due for shots. After a family members baby came down with autism after vaccine I did some looking into the subject. It's so scary what I found. The problem is my boys might have to go to daycare, or preschool, for sure public school. How can they go if I choose not to vaccinate ? What will my pedi say ? I'm sure she will think I'm crazy as I am an RN working on my NP. Any input would be great as I don't know what to do.
    Thanks Jessica

2. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

I have never done any research on vaccines. I can share a personal story only. I have a very close friend who was convinced her older son got autism as a result of vaccine at 18m he is 13 and non verbal. So as a result she never vaccinated her other children when they were born. Her youngest also a boy was just diagnosed a few months ago with autism. She has also had the school question testing of her middle daughter for aspergers syndrome.

3. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Well-Known Member

Your pediatrician has the choice not to accept your children as patientes if you don't vaccinate them.

4. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I'll just share briefly what we decided. My mom is VERY anti-shots, and she pretty much scared me to death about them. I was even having nightmares! I read the book she gave me, did what reasearch I could. From what I understand, it was more likely the mercury in the shots that were causing problem than the shots themselves. And I don't think hardly any offices use the old shots with mercury anymore. So, we waited & when the babies were about 8 mos old we started the vaccines.

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

We are doing shots and will continue to vacinate my boys. I go back and forth and dont know what to believe as far as autism. I am a teacher and i do find it amazing that autism is so common. I dont want to start any controversy here but i think you can use religion for schools as a reason you choose not to vacinate.

6. Trillian

Trillian Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by lovelyboys:
    public school. How can they go if I choose not to vaccinate ?

I've always wondered this too. We vaccinate, but I always wondered what people who don't do about school. I even went to private school and always had to have proof of vaccinations [​IMG]

7. Joyful

Joyful Well-Known Member

I was really fearful too and my DH and I decided that we would vaccinate. In my research I found that they correlate autism and shots because of the mercury used. Autistic children tend to have a very high mercury level in their system. They also have taken the mercury out of the vaccinations, so they say that there is no longer a risk involved. I read a book called WHAT YOUR DR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT CHILDREN'S VACCINATIONS by Cave and Mitchell and they go through each vaccination and even give an alternative schedule for vaccination that they find to be less "dangerous" so to speak. It is just one of those things you have to decide as a parent. Good Luck

8. miraclemama

miraclemama Active Member

We chose to delay and selectively vaccinate my son. More on that in a second, but first let me answer your questions...

What will your doctor say? That depends a lot on the doctor. Some are very open to alterations in the vaccination schedule, and others are dead-set against it. You won't know until you have that conversation with her. I'd suggest doing some research first, because if you have the second kind of doctor you might face a certain amount of ridicule and you'll want some info to back up your concerns. If not vaccinating is important to you, it is possible to find a doctor that will work with you and will respect your choices. I think being an RN will actually work in your favor (I'm one too) - hopefully the doctor will respect you enough to have an open discussion about it. Not vaccinating is becoming more common, so it shouldn't be something the doc has never dealt with before.

As for school, each state is different in terms of their rules. In California, where we live, all we had to do was sign an exemption form and that was it. In other states you might have to write a letter of philosophical exemption explaining your reasoning. You'll have to find out what the rules for your particular state are, and your pedi might have some info on this too. There are plenty of kids who are not vaccinated in public schools, so it definitely can be done.

Back to my choices, my main issue for my son was getting so many shots at once. We decided to only do 2 shots at a time maximum, and to space them out at least a month apart to let his body have time to adjust. We also declined a few vaccines that I felt he was at low risk for, like the Hep B series. I did breastfeed him exclusively and he was not in daycare, and these two issues played a significant role in our decision.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide [​IMG].

9. miraclemama

miraclemama Active Member

One more thing... don't assume that the vaccines used currently are thimerosal-free (the mercury-containing additive). ASK.

10. 2peasNApod

2peasNApod Well-Known Member

I don't care for doctors and I was anti-shots. DH wanted them vaccinated. We met in the middle and have them on a delayed schedule. My kids have only had their first two rounds of shots (starting at 3mo and then at 9 mo) and that is all they will have this year. As long as you have their shots up to date by the time they start school you will be fine. I was told with the delayed schedule your kids end up getting less shots over all but are vaccinated just the same. It is my oppinion that babies (not all, but mine) have a lower immune system and I didn't care for the vaccination schedule most doctors go by (or that many shots in one day!) DD got a 103 temp after her first round and I was furious.

From the research I have done it seems like pp said, the mercury is linked with autism. And it is scary how many cases there are as compared to 30-40 years ago (but then, some argue they just didn't have a name for it then, I don't know about that). My pedi said they stopped using mercury 4-5 years ago as the preservative. I asked what they use now - interesting that he couldn't tell me. So, my thing is HOW MUCH research does the government/labs actually do on the effects of this new preservative?

They are you kids and it's your decision. If you don't want to do it and your pedi drops you, find another pedi! Don't let anyone bully you into doing something you are not comfortable with - especially when it comes to your kids. I DID NOT get the rotovirus, I don't think it's been out long enough and heard too many kids were getting really ill after.

One of my friends is on a low income insurance "state funded" plan. She had to sign some sort of waver saying she is aware the shots her kids were getting were made in a lab specifically for this insurance. I thought that was VERY odd.

If your kids are going to daycare you really need to weigh the probabilities. As much as we don't want our kids getting Autism or anything else, you don't want them getting an illness that could kill them. It's really a double edged sword.

I live in one of the largest Anti-vaccine cities in the nation, so this topic is ALWAYS on the news etc. I do know there are private schools here that don't require vaccines.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's really hard!

11. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

I am very confused. I just finished nursing school and my husband is in med school. The data that we read basically said that the research that linked autism with immunizations was false....where can I go to read what you all are talking about?

I agree with PP, if your doctor doesn't approve of your not immunizing your children then I would find another doctor. Hopefully you will not have to do that though.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I've also read (and I don't remember where - mommy brain) that the study linking autism and vaccinations was a very small study done only once and with no control group - and this study is still terrifying and confounding parents to this day...

I made the choice to vaccinate my kids on schedule and I'm glad I did...true they did have 4 shots each at their 2 mo, 3 mo and 6 mo appts but now for 9 mos and a year they'll only get 1 shot each...which is important because now with them being far more mobile their little legs will hurt alot less (I think anyway)

13. Gilbert_Mommy

Gilbert_Mommy Well-Known Member

I too always wonder what to do. So far, my babies are up to date. Keep in mind also that vaccines have helped eliminate certain illnesses and help to protect the general public and immunocompromised people as well.

14. Thankyou so much everybody ! I think I will talk to my doc about delayed schedule of vaccines and question about vaccines being thermasil free. I don't think it's necessary to rush getting so many shots at once. I just don't want to do something that could hurt my boys. jessica

15. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

I really found the book "What your doctor won't tell you about vaccinations" very empowering. When I discussed vaccinating with the pedi I had an opinion and we managed to find a schedule that we were both pleased with. I think I earned my pedis respect by being a conserned informed parent!
    Good luck making this difficult choise.

16. ksls

ksls Well-Known Member

I didn't have a chance to read everyone's replies so forgive me if any of this is repetitive.

My 9 yo son is autistic. I'm not convinced either way about vaccinations having anything to do with his autism. That said, we've chosen to selectively continue with his vaccinations and my twin girls haven't had any shots yet. We will do a selective vax schedule and I'm working with our ped on what to give and when.

When ds was about 4 we left a ped practice over the vaccination issue. It was a good decision in the end, it wasn't worth the headache of him basically harrassing us every time we were in the office for something unrelated about getting back on the vax schedule. His philosophy was that it wasn't the parents' decision. Um, don't think so! Our current ped recommeds the current vax schedule but supports parents making their own decisions after being given all the information. I think this concept is called "informed consent" but it seems that a lot of the medical community doesn't believe in it anymore btu that's another rant for another post LOL!

17. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

I am new here, this is my first post. I have 10 month old identical twin girls. I researched vaccines my entire pregnancy and decided against them. My girls have never had a single shot and I couldnt be happier with my decision. They have only had 2 minor colds since birth and they are perfectly healthy. They were born at 30 weeks and didnt have any problems other then apneas.

18. Mattsgal

Mattsgal Well-Known Member

We simply delayed the vaccines by a couple of months and declined some...like Hep which I knew that were not at risk for contracting. They no longer use Thimerasol which is the mercury preservative, and "supposedly" that was the problem. What I did is research the rates of illnesses like Whooping Cough and Polio versus the rates of "permanent" vaccine reactions. Without question the odds of them being permanently damaged are higher from the diseases not from the shots. It is a calculated risk I think either way, and it was a hard decision.

19. Kelli28

Kelli28 Member

I am a special education teacher and have students with Autism. The current research does not link autism with vaccinations. Research is now indicating that it is gene related and both parents have to be carriers. I have some parents that have chosen not to have more than one child because they are afraid their subsequent children would have autism.

20. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

My best friend's kids are not vaccinated. She vaccinated her first daughter and right after her first set of shots at 2 months she changed. She never lifted her head, she never developed the way she should have. She lived until 2 1/2 years old and to this day 8 years later they still have no idea what she had. Every time they diagnosed her with something she proved it wrong. Her doctors said that it was something in her that the vaccinations brought out. They told my friend and her husband that each child they had after had a 1 in 4 chance of having the same thing happen. So their 7 year old and 4 year old twins have only had 1-2 shot each that their pedi said had no side effect at all.. I don't remember what those shots were though. Her oldest is in school and they just claimed medical reasons for not vaccinating.

I will probably do a selective approach and delay when my kids get their vaccinations.

21. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I have a hard time with this also. I didn't want to vac my girls but I was under the impression I didn't have a choice, I found out differently when the girls were 6 months old. I am now choosing to delay vac until the girls are two years old. I don't feel there is a need to give them anything until after that point. There is a waiver you can sign and give to daycare facilities and I belive you can still send your children there. The best place to go and ask questions on this matter is here: http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.a...webtag=bcus3353

I have found a lot of info on the matter and these ladies have done LOTS of research. I hope this helps you, you are not alone.

One more thing I found out from my pedi office is that all Flu shots contain Thirmisal, so if you choose to give it becareful.

Trish

22. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

This is a hot subject. First, for the schools - in Michigan if your child had NEVER had one vaccine you can state that they go against your believes and they allow your kids to go to school. If the child has even had one vaccine then you have to finish them all.

Autism and vaccines. I have a six year old with autism. He had it from the time he was in my belly - I know that from the way he acted when I was pregnant. The vaccines did not cause HIS autism. I have a theory about some kids with autism. Most kids with autism have lots of immune issues - ie - they get sick all the time, they have skin rashes, they have chronic diarrhea, etc. I believe in some kids it is like type I diabetes. Type I diabetes happens when, at some point as a child (usually a child) the person gets hit with something that causes their immune system to attack the pancrease - causing type I diabetes. For autisim, I belive in some kids something sends the immune system into overdrive and it attacks the brain. The Doctor at the health department where I work even told me one day that whan a child gets vaccines they are super immune from everything for a couple of months because there body's immune system jumpes into overdrive. I think this is the case in some of those kids who appear normal until after a vaccine.

For us, we ended up opting for the vaccines. It really was a tough choice, expecially since we already have an autistic child - we are way more likely to have another one. I do the shots at a totally different time than the CDC suggests. First year we only get the items that they could catch. AFter that I wait until they are past two to get anything else - my kids aren't at a high risk for Hep B.

As for what your pedi says, they are your kids. If he fights you on what you feel is right than you should find a different pedi anyway.

That is my 2-cents!
    Angel

23. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

I just have to add one more thing. My husband's uncle was vaccinated for Small Pox (many years ago). He was normal until that point. After that he became very ill, high fever, very bad reaction to it. He is now in his 50's. His parents were told that he war "retarded" due to the reaction he had to the vaccine. Now, I can say that Uncle Jimmy fits the Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis to a T! That was something that was definilty caused by a bad reaction to a vaccine. Thus, I don't believe most doctors when the say, "There is no way the vaccines can cause autism." I think in most people there is no risk, but I think there are a few that this is the trigger.

The Wakefield study was flawed, but it was an interesting, thought provoking study. I find it interesting that all the studies I have read going against the Wakefield study have been mostly funded by the pharacutical (sp?) companies that make the vaccines! I am not saying I beilieve in the Wakefield study, but I think there is some validity to it. THis is, of course, comeing form the mom of an autistic child with SEVERE GI problems that started after the MMR vaccine. Just a thought!

Angel

24. twinsagainx4

twinsagainx4 Well-Known Member

We have only done shots for Meningitis, and Pnuemonia. We are hesitant on the others. I'm very anti Hep-B, my babies do not shoot up or have sex. I didn't get these until I was 15 years old. I have read that they are planning on dicontinuing the Polio in the next 10 years. We will consider the DTaP's after they are a year or two old. Our Dr. is EXTREMEMLY supportive on our decisions. He always says, "Just tell us when you're ready". It was the nurse who gave us a hard time. I told her to mind her own business. But, there are ways to get your kids into public school without vaccinations. There are special forms you can fill out.

25. carir

carir Well-Known Member

if by chance someone did get autism from the shots (or born with the gene), at what age would that show?

26. allgrace

allgrace Well-Known Member

i don't know maybe not, but wouldn't peds or docs or whoever stop giving the shots if a ton of children were becoming autistic?

isn't autism a chormosonal thing also?

27. jessben81

jessben81 Well-Known Member

They do not know what causes autism. Before the boys, I worked as a paraprofessional for children with autism. I have met alot of their parents and I have heard the stories about how they "regressed" after getting the MMR. I really didn't want to vaccinate my boys, but, DH did. I have chosen to spread out the shots as much as possible. There is an actual "schedule of shots" written by a dr. whom has done alot of research on autism and believes there is a link between vaccinations and the disorder. If anyone would like to see the schedule this dr. has written, PM me and I will e-mail it to you. Also, if you choose not to vaccinate at all, but are still concerned with your child getting the diseases the vaccinations are for, there is a homeopathic version of the all the different shots. My nephew, after becoming unresponsive with shallow breathing after his first round of vaccinations, has finished his "shots" by doing the homeopathic version and he is the healthiest kid I have ever seen. I am looking into it myself. If anyone would like more info on this, feel free to PM about it.
    As a side note, I would like to point out that both myself and my brother received all of our shots, including the MMR, and I still came down with Mumps when I was 8 and my brother had the Measels. Personally I don't see the point of injecting a baby with all of this stuff when they can still get the disease.
    But, to each his own, this is just my opinion.

28. allgrace

allgrace Well-Known Member

i just emailed a family friend because she is a nurse.. she also said she has a friend whose son is now 15 years old- he has autism. and he was totally fine before all the shots.

i guess they are trying to pass something that gets the high level of mercury out of the shots. i guess it's just for a preservative and actually not needed in the shots anyways.

i got to email the lady who has the son with autism- if you want info that she sends me just PM me- i guess her and her husband speak all over the nation about this.

29. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

The early intervention teacher and PT said that autism is mostly found in boys not girls...is this true?

30. jessben81

jessben81 Well-Known Member

Yes it is true that autism is found mostly in boys and not girls. They don't have a valid reason why. Hopefully they will figure all of this out soon and give us some answers so we can all stop worrying!

31. I_AM_I

I_AM_I Member

This is such a hard issue, but I am sorry these our are children and if we decide to delay or choose not to vaccinate then I feel like it is your choice. My heart aches for parents who have to deal with autism in their children. I also did the delayed schedule and I am in the process of looking for a doctor’s office that uses mercury free vaccines. I don't trust the FDA they put out all kinds of drugs they say are safe and then within time you see a commercial with a lawyer stating "If you have taken this specific drug it may have caused you to have a stroke or other health problems please contact me". That is crazy and so not right. To me our society cares more about animals than our sweet little babies!

32. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I have read a artical from a doc about Thirmisal and why some children get autism from vacs and some don't. According to his research mercury leaves the body through the hair and sometimes babies can't get rid of it so it just increases and builds up in the brain. I found a 45 min clip from this doc and if anyone is interested I will find it again and post it, please IM me.

33. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member