Anyone have experience and/or advice with fascination with doors & smashing fingers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twointheoven, Mar 13, 2012.

1. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

My twins will be 3 tomorrow, and my daughter is 19 months. The twins have always been fascinated with doors, both slamming, and sticking their fingers in the door hinge area. And, when my 19 mo. old became mobile, she had the same fascination. We moved into our new house 6 months ago, I made the decision to put locks on every door, either locking them closed or open. I made this decision, because having 3 kids under 2.5, I knew it would be impossible to have an eye on them at all times, and I just did not want an accident to happen. I was mostly concerned about my little one. I should also be honest. I am the kind of person that has visions of accidents happening, and probably thinks of more possibilities than most. I wish I could turn this off, but it is very hard. I have gotten a lot better, but I can still be paranoid at times!

We actually had an incident about a month ago, where one of my twins stuck his fingers in the back door hinge area, and I accidentally closed it on him. I am so paranoid about this kind of thing, so needless to say I was VERY upset with myself that it happened. I thought he was standing right next to me, so I didn't even think to check before closing (I always do) and by the time I realized it, it was too late. The fact that he is almost 3, and would still do that, really worries me. Right before this happened, I was getting ready to try to start leaving doors unlocked, and getting them used to it. I thought my 19 mo. old was the only one I was waiting on. Now I am so freaked out.

So, I have been wanting to start potting training for the past few months, but this situation with the doors has caused me to hold off. I was talking with someone today, that suggested I start working on the door situation, so that I can begin potty training soon. I explained to her that I do realize that the chance of one of them smashing the others' fingers in the door is not very likely, however I can not get it out of my head. I feel like if I put them in that situation, and it happens, I am to blame. I also, obviously, hate the idea of them getting hurt.

I basically have 3 choices:

1. Keep locks on doors, and wait a little bit longer until I feel my 19 mo. old matures a bit, and I am more certain my twins understand.

2. Potty train now, but keep doors locked, and go with them every time they need to potty.

3. Figure out a game plan on how to teach everyone to be safe with doors (and get momma to relax a bit! ;) )

Has anyone had any experience with this, or have any advice?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We have locks on all doors here (ok, knob covers), although for different reasons. Heck I tried today to leave the bathroom open, and they sneaked out with the handsoap and made a huge mess... so door closed it is, still. I just told them that apparently they are still babies and can't handle acting like big kids, so I'll keep treating them like babies (can you tell I'm a bit pissed off, lol).

I wouldn't even think twice about it and keep the doors closed. And keep a potty out or something for potty training (frankly I think it's easier anyway because I can never tell if they went or not on the big potty). And absolutely don't feel bad about getting your kid's fingers stuck... if it's what it takes for them to learn their lesson, not much you can do about it! My kids still haven't got it either, and I keep having to tell them to get their fingers out when I'm about to close the door. Very annoying. But again, with all doors closed, there's not much potential for accidents anyway.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

How about using something like this or this?

Both my boys loved slamming doors and I used the Panda Bear. I know they sell them at BRU & Buy Buy Baby.

4. mtnmom

mtnmom Member

When my girls were about a year old, we put hook and eyes on the back of all our bedroom doors so we could lock them open. It's been very useful in fact, I think it's the last remaining baby proofing thing we have left (all the gates, drawer locks, etc. are long gone). I never did this with the bathroom doors as they have never seemed interested in playing with these doors - but it'd be easy enough to install the hook and eyes if they had been.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We have these things that look like foam c's that go over the top of the doors that make them impossible to close thus no smashed fingers

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I used those too. They were cheaper than the Panda Bears and did the exact same thing.

7. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies! :)

I definitely understand your frustration. Hearing your thoughts makes me feel better about protecting them, and keeping them out of things. I just struggle sometimes about what other people might think, and also wonder if I am supposed to prepare them or teach them things, so they learn... or whether it is a battle not worth fighting.

I want them to learn to be around doors, but I don't know if the trade-off of taking a chance of them getting their fingers smashed is worth teaching a lesson...

Last night, my mom suggested trying it with just one bathroom door at first, and go from there.

DUH! I don't know why it never dawned on me to use a door guard, so it is open, but they can't shut it all the way. This would be a good start with one door (the bathroom door) and I could see how they do. Thanks! :)

We actually have hook and eye's on all of the bedroom doors upstairs, to lock them open. Which I LOVE. We accidentally found the idea on our own, after much thought & a few trips to home depot. It really is genius, I don't know why the info isn't out there on this. :)

The bathroom doors, and the doors downstairs have locks to keep them closed. When we go in the bathroom for baths or teeth brushing, my 19 mo. old is OBSESSED with slamming the door. It would be a good idea to start trying the guards suggested above on the bathroom.

8. kristinpa

kristinpa Well-Known Member

Put a folded towel over the top of the door...they won't be able to close it...this is what we do and it works well..

9. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Someone on this board recommended a very cheap product called the door monkey. It is AWESOME. I have 4 of them in constant use. If you flip them one way they keep the door open about 2 inches but un-openable (good for when my 6 year old doesn't want the twins bothering him) and if you flip it the other way it keep the door from closing at all. It just clamps on to the door with a little pinch-lever.

10. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

We used to put a folded towel on top as well.