Anyone have any experience with PRUV?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Beebs, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

I'm kinda new here- I haven't posted to introduce myself yet so I apologize for jumping right in with a 'problem,' but I'm a little worried. I get level II u/s once a month and at my last one they said Baby A has a persistent right umbilical vein (PRUV) which basically means that whereas most babies have their right umbilical vein disappear by 7 weeks, Baby A's left disappeared. Now from what I understand this could go one of two ways:

if her vein is intrahepatic it's just a normal variant (abnormal to be right rather than left, but normal in every other way and no anomolies associated with it.)

if her vein is extrahepatic it's draining directly into the atrium, vena cava or iliac vein and there could be complications and/or major malformations of the heart, musculoskeletal system or nervous system. Fatal defects, in other words.

My doctor ordered a fetal echo, which I'm having done Thursday morning, to see if her vein is attached to the normal portal or is draining into her heart. I was terrified at first, but after paging my doctor twice just to have him talk me down I believe that she's probably going to be ok. He said that after two level II u/s he would be shocked if they find any major defects. But he doesn't know til they get in there and look.

SO anyway, I have yet to talk to anyone who had a baby with a PRUV at all, much less one who turned out to be fine. Anyone? Really just looking for some support and reassurance- gotta make it to Thursday and then we'll see...

By way of introduction, I have two boys- Jackson is 4 and Jude will be 2 on Dec 8th, and my oops 3rd baby has turned out to be oops twins. We're so excited (now that the shock has worn off) to be having two girls. I'm due March 24th, but my doctor says he'll induce at 37 weeks (I'm hoping if I get that far to make it to 38, but we'll see.) I have had 5 miscarriages altogether so it's been a long road, and I'm a homozygous MTHFR carrier and have an antithrombin III deficiency so I shoot heparin and take a fistful of folic acid, B complex and calcium twice a day. Small price to pay, though. I'll be 24 weeks Saturday and I can't believe we've all made it this far.

I've been lurking and reading and enjoying everything you all have to say. Glad to have found you.

2. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

I'm kinda new here- I haven't posted to introduce myself yet so I apologize for jumping right in with a 'problem,' but I'm a little worried. I get level II u/s once a month and at my last one they said Baby A has a persistent right umbilical vein (PRUV) which basically means that whereas most babies have their right umbilical vein disappear by 7 weeks, Baby A's left disappeared. Now from what I understand this could go one of two ways:

if her vein is intrahepatic it's just a normal variant (abnormal to be right rather than left, but normal in every other way and no anomolies associated with it.)

if her vein is extrahepatic it's draining directly into the atrium, vena cava or iliac vein and there could be complications and/or major malformations of the heart, musculoskeletal system or nervous system. Fatal defects, in other words.

My doctor ordered a fetal echo, which I'm having done Thursday morning, to see if her vein is attached to the normal portal or is draining into her heart. I was terrified at first, but after paging my doctor twice just to have him talk me down I believe that she's probably going to be ok. He said that after two level II u/s he would be shocked if they find any major defects. But he doesn't know til they get in there and look.

SO anyway, I have yet to talk to anyone who had a baby with a PRUV at all, much less one who turned out to be fine. Anyone? Really just looking for some support and reassurance- gotta make it to Thursday and then we'll see...

By way of introduction, I have two boys- Jackson is 4 and Jude will be 2 on Dec 8th, and my oops 3rd baby has turned out to be oops twins. We're so excited (now that the shock has worn off) to be having two girls. I'm due March 24th, but my doctor says he'll induce at 37 weeks (I'm hoping if I get that far to make it to 38, but we'll see.) I have had 5 miscarriages altogether so it's been a long road, and I'm a homozygous MTHFR carrier and have an antithrombin III deficiency so I shoot heparin and take a fistful of folic acid, B complex and calcium twice a day. Small price to pay, though. I'll be 24 weeks Saturday and I can't believe we've all made it this far.

I've been lurking and reading and enjoying everything you all have to say. Glad to have found you.

3. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't know anything about PRUV, but I just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your twins! I hope everything will turn out fine with Baby A...it sounds like you're in good hands. I, too, have had quite a few losses and understand how stressful any pregnancy can be after loss. Please keep us updated.

[​IMG]

4. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Hi there, I don't have any experience with PRUV either but i just wanted to say HI and congrats on your babies! I hope everything turns out well, please keep posting and let us know what happens.

[​IMG]

5. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the PRUV, I also just wanted to say congratulations and welcome you to twinstuff.

I noticed you said you are homozygous for the MTHFR trait... so am I. My doctor has me on Lovenox, but I will be switching to the heparin soon. Plus the handful of folic acid and other regular vitamins. But I agree with you... a small price to pay!

Helen

6. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Happy to meet you and glad that you found twin stuff! I am very sorry to hear about the PRUV. This is the first I have ever heard of such a phenomenon. I hope you get good news on Thursday!
    I was really excited to read your post because we have the exact same due date. I am also due March 24! Aren't you so excited for this Saturday? I am going to go out to dinner to celebrate the 24 week milestone with my dh & dd!!
    [​IMG] and keep us posted on how your appt. goes!

7. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

I have no advise to give but I wanted to welcome you to the board and wish you nothing but the best of luck on Thursday.

8. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

HI, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about PRUV (have you checked the health and special needs forum on this site?), but I do want to say
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] to this site - I really hope everything works out ok and would love to hear your update.

9. Jamiesuzanne

Jamiesuzanne Member

Welcome, I am new here as well. I don't know anything about what you described, but sending good thoughts that the echo will show everything is ok.

I also take lovenox and folic acid - but I also take prednisone as well. I have to take 2 shots/day - but the bruises are all worth it. I have had 4 m/c and my ds was a twin to start - so I know how extra special every day is.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS on your babies!!! I don't know anything about PRUV
    but I wish you the best of luck on Thursday!! let us know how everything goes!!

11. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It kind of freaks me out that NOBODY has ever heard of this... but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm so nervous, but trying to keep a good attitude. She's either having problems or she's not. I just get to find out tomorrow so I know what I'm dealing with. I'm (obviously) REALLY hoping she's ok.

I'll let you know tomorrow. Think good thoughts for me around 9 am Pacific time!

12. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

Congrats on your twins. Sorry i dont know anything about PRUV. Please keep us posted and I am praying that everything is allright with your baby.

13. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

Just wanted to let you all know how it went yesterday- I got to the perinatologist's office and went in for the fetal echo and they didn't know what I was there for- they thought it was my monthly u/s. So I explained but she really didn't understand. She looked at Baby A's heart in tremendous detail and found no problems. Then the Doctor came in and repeated that- when I asked if they could tell where the umbilical vein was draining she just gave me this look (very Homer Simpson)- she tried, but said she never looked for that- I'd have to go to the ped cardiologist. So I did, an hour later- and the same thing happened. Except that doc wanted to hear all about the research so I ended up explaining the literature to him and citing him the best article. Basically, I think this problem I'm trying to rule out is extremely rare and also that Baby A probably doesn't have it. The best answer got was from the ped card- "Her vein looks like it's going into the right spot, but I don't know what it would look like if it weren't since I've never seen that before." So all in all a little frustrating, but pretty reassuring. Those are the best documented fetal hearts in the history of fetal medicine!

Thanks for all your support! I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy now.

14. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

What a great update!! [​IMG] It must be quite a rare problem if you knew more about it than the doctors! Anyway, I'm glad everything looks good and hopefully you can relax now.