Anyone else's 1-year-old humming songs?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sue1968, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

The self-soothing thread made me think of this. Somewhere around 12 months old, Steven started humming to self sooth. At first, it just seemed like random notes but by the time he was 14 months or so, it was clear he was humming "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". It cracked me up because it's the first song his crib toy plays (LeapFrog Dreamscapes Soother). He needs that music to go to sleep so I guess he just picked it up. By 16 months, he started singing the actual words (somewhat phonetically, he really doesn't talk yet). He rarely completes the song, it usually kind of breaks up when he hits the third or fourth line. Sometimes, he sings the alphabet song - I know, same tune as Twinkle Twinkle but thanks to the Fridge Phonics toy (LeapFrog again) as well as his older brothers singing along, he can now sing the alphabet, too. Since then, I have also heard him humming Brahms' Lullaby which is the second song his crib soother plays. Last month, I enrolled him in a Music Together class which he seems to enjoy though he's still getting used to it. I have since heard him humming a few lines here and there from songs that we've sung in the class (we have a CD of songs from the class as well).

My twins never sang anything until after they learned how to talk - maybe 2.5 - 3 years old. They also enjoyed the Music Together class but they never sang a thing from it. They were very late talkers but Steven seems to have benefited from the interaction with his brothers and his speech is pretty much on track for his age.

So, should I enroll him in genius school? :p

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Liam's been singing/humming since last spring I think. I am amazed at how much more vocal he has been compared to the twins. I guess it's from having the older siblings.

3. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

We have just started noticing Lilly doing this recently. It is adorable!

4. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 2 2009, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1130364[/snapback]
    Liam's been singing/humming since last spring I think. I am amazed at how much more vocal he has been compared to the twins. I guess it's from having the older siblings.

Isn't that the truth. Steven follows them everywhere and does everything that they do. What a bunch of little Mozarts!

5. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls have doing a music class since they were 10mo old and they started humming the rainbow song almost immediately. Shortly thereafter they started singing E-I-E-I-O at the top of their lungs, thats the only part of the song they sing, I have to sing the rest and figure out what all the animals say! :rolleyes:

6. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

My Molly was a hummer probably around the same age and now she sings.

7. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

Sophie has been humming the Wonder Pets theme song for a few weeks. I thought I was just imagining things until DH said "isn't that the Wonder Pets song?" It is just the first couple of lines, not the whole thing, but I was still impressed with her "talent"!

8. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:Clap: You should be proud...it is pretty rare to carry a tune at 12 ish months! How fun! I say...look into that genius school :lol:

9. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Yes! Both my twins mimic song notes and other sounds, like hockey chants. It's histerical! You just reminded me I have to get this on video. They mimic "we will rock you". FUNNY!!! They don't speak much yet. They won't even say Mama anymore. But their language skills are all there.