Anyone else always getting sick?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Before kids I didn't go to a doctor for like 8 years... since kids I've been sick every 1-2 months! Sometimes they're sick too, but they're better after a day, but we're miserable for 4 days... It's getting so old! Is it just us? We're both sick right now with I don't know what, and the kids are happily playing.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Even without kids, I would go through spurts of sick/not sick. One year out of every ten or so would be a bad sick year, last time was 3x bronchitis, every stomach bug, infected earring holes, cellulitis, and a cold (most likely several colds) that lasted 4 months. I figure that's just the way my lymph system works. Really well most of the time, then needs a vacation.

This year, I haven't really been sick, there was a nasty cold last spring that turned into a sinus infection and strep throat in the summer, but that's pretty much it.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

They are building their immunities. My girls were sick every 2 weeks for a long time but by the time they went to pre k they missed very few days and jazz hasn't been sick at all in k and Jess has only missed 2 days

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My point was that they're almost never sick, but dh and I are always sick... you'd think we would have built our immunities by now, lol.

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

It is probably just because you are newly getting exposed to the viruses that they bring home with them. I know when I first started teaching (and pretty much any 1st year teacher I've known), I was sick all of the time because I was getting exposed to all kinds of viruses that I hadn't been exposed to before.

Hang in there!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

No I was only really getting sick when they were bringing home stomach bugs

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, I can't say I noticed a difference before kids and after. I am pretty much like Bex in that I go through spurts of getting sick a lot and then healthy as a horse for a while. Even with the kids starting preschool, we really hadn't noticed much a difference.
    I would say one of the worst years being sick that both DH and I had was the year we got married. We were both sick with a nasty cold/flu for a couple of months after our wedding. I seriously was ready to tell him to move out just so we could get better!!! :laughing:

8. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Oh goodness yes. I've had more stomach bugs since having kids than ever before in my whole life. And the weird thing is, my kids have never had a stomach bug! (Uh oh, I shouldn't say things like that...) Somehow, they manage to pass it on to me without getting it themselves. Or I pick it up from all the germ-bucket places we go and they don't.

9. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

Yes, my DH always points out that I am sick every week! He says it's because I do too much! :rotflmbo: