Any tips to add calories during twin pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by OahuLove2, Jun 26, 2013.

1. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Hi!
    I am 11 weeks, 3 days. My weight has hit a plateau for the last month. I gain over 6 pounds during my first 8 weeks, so that's good. But I know my doctor wanted me to gain some weight since my last check up and I just haven't. I am eating whenever I'm hungry, which feels like all the time, but I'm still only getting to around 2,200 calories a day and it's not enough for me to put on weight. Do you have any tips to sneak in some extra calories, particularly when you don't feel like you can handle a much great quantity of food per day?
    Thank you!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I ate about every 2 hours for the first 6 hours I was awake- meals and I'd mix in a Boost shake if I was going out. I also ate 2 servings of ice cream a day- for the calcium and fat.

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I didn't gain any weight in the first 10 weeks since I wasn't able to eat too much - I was nauseous all the time. My doctor was never concerned with my weight gain. He told me to eat healthy and drink a lot of water. I gained some weight along the way of course, I gained a total of 37 pounds and my kids were born at 37 weeks 5 days, they were each 6 pounds 5 ounces, and they didn't need any NICU. I had a good pregnancy other than the constant nausea, no bed rest or other issues. I know there's a book out there that promotes eating a lot and gaining a lot of weight and I discussed it with both my RE and OB and both said I shouldn't worry about weight gain.

Of course I had icecream and fruit, but in general I wasn't able to eat a lot and I felt nauseous all the time, since before I found out I was pregnant until the birth. I never counted calories, I made sure I ate healthy and I made sure I drank A LOT of water. I kept working out during my pregnancy and I think that helped also - I think it's important to stay active, as long as your OB allows it.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Focus on protein! Switch your regular yogurt for Greek yogurt and rice for quinoa to start. Try not to eat anything unless there's some protein in the mix. Also, smoothies with a Greek yogurt base are great for when you feel like you don't have a lot of room.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can buy protien powder and add it to smoothies. I'd also suggest peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat, greek yogurt, pita chip and humus are all things I did to add calories when I didnt have a lot room to eat very big meals.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto the extra protein. I didn't want to gain a ton of weight, being overweight already, so I focused on calcium and protein. And yes, I snuck in milkshakes and ice cream often ;) I gained 28 lbs, and had 13+ lbs worth of baby, and most of the rest was placenta. I was back in my regular pants by 3 wks post partum.

I wouldn't worry as much about your weight gain unless you are very slender or underweight, and focus more on eating healthy and drinking tons of water to stay hydrated (especially important in the summer) :)

7. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

protein powder, middle of night snacks of cheese or other high protein foods, drink glasses of milk. I get a lot of dairy. I was worried about wt gain being too much but I have really slowed down since 24 weeks but have gained about 50 lbs total at 31 weeks. Both of my babies are measuring slightly ahead. Eggs are a great meal, too, I scramble them with cheese.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree on the protein...you could try the Boost shakes. They are pretty good. I liked them extra cold. I know when I was in the hospital on bedrest they gave me one at every meal, but they didn't serve them to me extra cold like I liked them.

9. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips, everyone! Seems like the weight is coming a little faster now, as my appetite has increased. I've also been adding the protein smoothies and snacks like hummus, peanut butter, etc. Also, I went to the doctor at 12 weeks and found I had gained a little more than I had thought (3 pound between weeks 8 and 12). So just under 10 pounds total.

How many people stick to the 24 by 24 rule, versus just following their own bodies?

10. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

I didn't stop vomiting 15 times a day until I was 17-18 weeks, but I still managed to gain 20 by 20 by eating eggs, cheese and protein shakes in the mornings. I gained a TON in my second trimester and the weight started slowing down 2-3 weeks ago. My body does this when I'm pregnant: I gain huge amounts of weight in my second trimester, only to slow down in the end. I'm not entirely sure what my exact weight was when I got pregnant, but I'm estimating a weight gain of 55-60 lbs at this point, and I hit 30 weeks today.

I have never followed any weight recommendations, not for my three singletons and not really now. I follow what my body wants, with the exception that I have increased protein for this pregnancy. That said, I was diagnosed with borderline GD for the first time 3ish weeks ago and am also following a lower-carb diet.

11. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I follow my body and my OB when pregnant. I gained 35-38 lbs total and was pretty on target to what my OB wanted for me. I have terrible nausea no matter how many are in there and just can't eat much at first. I eat what I can while taking Zofran and catch up in the 2nd trimester. For me at least, how much weight I gain is rarely an indication of how much weight the baby(ies) are gaining.