Angry little boys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by acjb2004, Sep 23, 2010.

1. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

What is going on with our Matthew? He is such an angry little boy, he gets upset over every little possible thing. From the time he wakes to the time he goes to bed he is screaming. We had our 1 WBV and he is healthy our ped said its his temperament. I try to comfort him but its not helping, I try to distract him but its not helping either. The only time he is happy when I carry him or I get to sit down on floor and watch him play. Well as you can imagine I can't do it all day. I don't think we can handle crying all day long, we (my dh and I) are going nuts. Please tell me its just a phase, what do we do? Help!

Oooops, the title should say "angry little boy" thankfully Brandon is our easy baby ;-)

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A good part of it is probably his lack of language to communicate what's bothering him. And that'll come with time. When he gets up set do you try to figure out what's wrong? Ask him question like "Are you hungry? Thirsty? Do you want a toy? A truck?"....etc. A soft calm voice, and use lots of words...eventually he'll start understanding and learn how to respond back, even if it's just gesturing at what the problem is.

3. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

Mine have done this at times when they aren't getting enough sleep. Could that be the issue? Or teething maybe? I guess it could also be his temperment or a phase, but I always want to "fix" everything, so I try to figure out if there is a reasong behind it. Good luck, hope it gets better soon for you.

4. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

My ds did that very briefly at about that age and it seemed to be frustration that he couldn't communicate exactly as he wanted and couldn't do all of the things he wanted to do (like at that time he was intent on putting shapes into the sorter but would lose it if the triangle wouldn't go in the circle hole). It really only lasted for a little while, but I remember thinking that my sweet boy was lost forever. He wasn't - he has had periods of time where he is sweet and happy and others when he is a little grumpy but for the most part he doesn't scream or whine now that he can tell us what he wants!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Danielle. I went through this with both of mine when they turned one and it just seemed like they were so frustrated because they couldn't communicate the way they wanted to (unfortunately I did not realize this until both kids could communicate better and seemed much more pleasant). It was a very frustrating time for me, DH and both kids.

6. margi33

margi33 Well-Known Member

My DS was VERY tempermental for about a month or two at this age... I never really knew for sure what it was that was bothering him but I am guessing it was teething or stomach issues. He was cutting molars and I didn't even know it but also at that age we were starting a lot of new types of foods, etc. too. Or could just be a developmental thing. If he seems totally 'off' or sick, can't sleep, etc. then he might have an issue that requires checking out but otherwise probably just a stage. Seems as if the 2nd year is full of all sorts of stages that come and go! Good luck figuring it out and hope it changes for you soon.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I hate to be cliched and blame everything on teething, but that might be it. Nate turns in to Natehole when he's cutting teeth; super easily frustrated, screaming/whining about everything, throwing, stealing toys, etc. Then when it's over, he's the sunniest, happiest boy. :wacko: I have to say that each set of teeth has been worst than the last. His final canines are just not poking through and he's starting to act human again. I'm dreading the second set of molars.... :shok: