Angry 3 yr old?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Tamaralynn, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

One of my boys, William, seems to have anger "issues". I really don't know another way to put it. He just looses his ****, seriously. It could be over the smallest thing too. Last night he screamed for 2.5 hrs straight because I wouldn't let him go downstairs at 10:30 pm. When I say scream, it was none stop shrieking. I am surprised my neighbors didn't call the police! His twin brother doesn't seem to have the same short fuse as he does and my oldest never went through this. Is this normal?

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

What is his sleep like? He may be over tired and having meltdowns because of it.

DS1 has always hsd an attitude problem. Last year at the age of 3 1/2 he needed his tonsils and adenoids removed. His tonsils were so big they were touching. He was also a loud snorer because he could not get enough air in when he breathed.

Prior to the surgery, he always would wake multiple times during the night. Not enough to fully wake but just enough to disrupt his sleep. The very first night after the surgery he no longer snored and slept through the night and has ever since.

Maybe your DS has an underlying health issue that is preventing him from getting a good nights sleep.

Another issue could be food. I know when my boys don't eat on a regular schedule I can defiantly tell. Usually by the time I realize, it's too late and I'm dealing with major meltdowns.

1 person likes this.
  3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've found with Alice, that if her sleep is bad, her behavior and reactions are horrid. And the food thing too. I actually carry fruit snacks/fruit bars in my backpack for a quick blood sugar pick-me-up (to be followed usually by something more substantial and protein-y.) If she starts getting cranky/angry, I give her a snack and have her calm down before she completely explodes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tamaralynn

He sleeps ok. The only time he doesnt is if he is sick, but the twins are in bed by 6:30-6:45 and are up at 6 during the week and 7 on weekends, so he is getting almost 12 hrs, doesn't wake at night, unless sick, and naps. He is a good eater as well. I just think he wants to be an only child, but he insisted and coming in a pair.

5. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

How often does this happen? Every time he doesn't get his way? Only under certain circumstances? Try keeping a diary for a week or two of his meltdowns and what triggered them, plus the foods he's eaten and his sleep. Maybe he's one of those kids who can't handle food dyes or MSG or something like that. It's quite possible a pattern will emerge to his outburts.

Also, maybe get some books about being angry from the library?

One thing I've heard of that can be successful is to come up with a 'plan' with him- i.e. if Mommy says XYZ and William gets angry, William can draw an angry picture. If he is still angry, William can punch his pillow or ______. If William does not stop screaming, Mommy will have to XYZ. Obviously, you don't have to follow what I just said, I think the main part is to come up with a plan WITH him. Then, if he gets angry and the plan doesn't work, you go back with him and re-evaluate what to do next time. And maybe do some sort of prize in connection with this?

1 person likes this.
  6. Tamaralynn

Thanks for the ideas! Don't know why I didn't think of doing a diary! It's not always when he doesn't get his way, but he goes from 0-60 in about 1 second, always has. He does have food allergies, and intolerances to certain foods, eczema and Asthma. I know when his skin is bothering him he has 0 patience which I get because when my skin bothers me I have 0 patience. I'll keep a diary and see. I know Daycare won't do it though as they don't have time, but I should be able to get a clear enough picture with evenings and weekends.