AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 7

Discussion in 'General' started by Chrissy Nelson, Jan 7, 2008.

1. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

I am the only one in the free world who thinks the Amanda "rocker" girl stinks?!?!!?! My DH and I had it out last night watching AI b/c he thinks she is good too!! I just dont get it??? I mean I was dying laughing last night during her performance it was so bad. I havent heard her sing yet! All she has done is turn her head to the side, bend over, make the raspy voice noice and yell some. And dont even get me started on the hair..........Seriously.

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Feb 22 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]635429[/snapback]
    I am the only one in the free world who thinks the Amanda "rocker" girl stinks?!?!!?! My DH and I had it out last night watching AI b/c he thinks she is good too!! I just dont get it??? I mean I was dying laughing last night during her performance it was so bad. I havent heard her sing yet! All she has done is turn her head to the side, bend over, make the raspy voice noice and yell some. And dont even get me started on the hair..........Seriously.

LOL! I somewhat agree with you. I don't think she is going to win but I do feel she is one of the top 6 and not worse than the other two women that were cut last night.

3. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I like Amanda's look... but not her voice... I agree with ya there, she stinks!!

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I love her very Joplinesque voice. Not crazy about her look (I think her mom looks younger than she does at only 23). And while I was impressed with her choice of song this week, as I said before, I was listening through Steven Tyler ears and her version was okay. This is how that song is supposed to sound: Baby Please Don't Go (note: ST swinging over the crowd towards the end :D ).

5. caba

caba Banned

Yeah, I don't know about the rocker. I don't think she's horrible, but I think she may be a one trick pony. I think her voice will get old after a few weeks, as she isn't really going to be able to switch it up much. Although it might be funny to hear her try to do something totally out of character ... like broadway.

6. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I get sad, too, for those leaving even though I may not who leaves. Rocker girl is unusual and may stay in for awhile just cuz of that, but I doubt she'll be part of the final 12. The picks to go home were right on, except I liked Garrett. I thought he was cute, sweet, and could possibly have a following of young girl votes to keep him going, but I guess not. I would have preferred Danny (I think his name is?), from Azusa, CA, sang an Elvis song and acts homosexualish. Anyway, he's a snot and I don't like his cocky attitude. I was hoping he'd go this round.

7. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Amanda kicks ***. She is great because she is different. 75% of the other chicks are exactly the same. I wish the contestants would not cry so much... I mean come on, you are still in it and you are in it TO WIN IT BABY!!!!

I am going to have to argue that this is the "best 24" that they have had. I am not blown away. They have some good ones but best 24. I can weed out about 15 ppl right now and get this contest started.

8. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ Feb 23 2008, 03:48 AM) [snapback]636662[/snapback]
    Amanda kicks ***. She is great because she is different. 75% of the other chicks are exactly the same. I wish the contestants would not cry so much... I mean come on, you are still in it and you are in it TO WIN IT BABY!!!!

I am going to have to argue that this is the "best 24" that they have had. I am not blown away. They have some good ones but best 24. I can weed out about 15 ppl right now and get this contest started.

See, maybe I have just gotten too cynical for American Idol. I think she is fake. I imagine her looking up "rocker goth girl" on the web...... learning how to dress like she does, dying her hair, then learning a few Janis Joplin songs to go with it.

I have no idea why this show sucks me in every week.......it really drives me crazy. I just think it is all so corny and fake anymore. It is like a bad addiction <_<

9. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

So far my favorite guy is David Archuleta and my favorite girl is Ramiele Malubay. She's so tiny and cute and has such a big voice ! David is just charming and has such a wonderful smile.
    I agreed with the results of the show (so far ;) )

I also like Luke (does he remind anyone else of Orlando Bloom ??) and from my hometown in Florida Robbie ! I just wish he would do something better with his hair ..

10. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(Moodyzblu @ Feb 23 2008, 08:56 AM) [snapback]636921[/snapback]
    I also like Luke (does he remind anyone else of Orlando Bloom ??)
    Yes! I brought this up too. He could be Orlando's brother!

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Feb 23 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]637169[/snapback]
    Yes! I brought this up too. He could be Orlando's brother!

Smashed with Robin Thicke (with a bit of Luke Perry from 90210)

12. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't like the rocker chick either. I think she's a bit scary. I wouldn't want to be caught in a dark alley with her. Her hair is atrocious! And her voice sounds kind of like she's had too much whiskey and cigarettes.....she just seems "tough" to me. I think she does the Janis Joplin stuff okay, but I don't see her as having a lot of range.

13. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Did anyone else think that Paula Abdul's Music Video they showed wasn't really all that great?

14. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(natmarie @ Feb 23 2008, 07:06 PM) [snapback]637467[/snapback]
    Did anyone else think that Paula Abdul's Music Video they showed wasn't really all that great?

I'm with you on that. It was more of a dance video than a good song and way to much fan

15. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ Feb 22 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]636662[/snapback]

I agree, you could totally switch the names of all the blond chicks and I would not know the difference.

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Feb 23 2008, 05:38 PM) [snapback]637506[/snapback]
    I'm with you on that. It was more of a dance video than a good song and way to much fan

I wasn't that crazy about the video either.

16. ValeriGail4

ValeriGail4 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Feb 23 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]637506[/snapback]

HAHA!!

I agree. I didn't think the dancing was all that hot either... she really just sorta barely danced. And the song was way way way way to young for her. Sounded like something a new teen pop singer should perform, not a middle aged already distinquished artist. "It was just bad for me, dog... shhhffttt... it just didn't work out, for me man.." LOL

I was surprised with Garrett being voted off. I thought it would have been Chickeesee or how ever you spell his name. But I knew the Hanson brother (LOL sorry, thats what we called him here) would be going.

I was also surprised that Johanne was voted off. Bad song choice for her, completely... but I thought it would be Kady. Thought it was a bad song choice for her too, though I really like her voice. I was pretty sure she had the worse performance... but, well, guess I was wrong on that one! HAHA. I am happy we get to hear her again. I liked Joanne though.

I'm torn on the rocker chic. H cant stand her. He says she looks like an old rocker chic trying to be young! HAHA. I would like to hear her do something other than shout. I think there could be a good voice up under her image. Or maybe its hiding in her hair! Thats whats giving it all that height! LOL.

The guys.. my fave is the Australian. But, I think David A, The dread lock kid, and the rocker guy with bed hair are pretty darn good too.

The girls.. I like carly, Ramiele (I cant spell thier names), Brooke (cause she's just so darn bubbly!)... Kinda like Asia, but still deciding on that.

I disagree with Randy that the girls were better. I think this year, the guys are much much better. They seem to have more developed talent, and understanding that they have to go out there and do thier best, regardless. They also seem to have better confidence on stage too. This year, I think its the guys that are actually competing and the girls are just there for the ride! HAHA

17. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Guys did pretty well tonight with a few standout performances and one that I thought was the best performance of the season so far and maybe one of the most memorable I've seen in several years of watching AI (the other performance that stands out for me is the first time Katherine McPhee sang Over the Rainbow). I'll wait with specific guesses/predictions until it airs on the west coast but this season is shaping up to have some real quality singers who I'm assuming will keep advancing with ease.

18. Mama_Kim

Oh, I so know who you are talking about, Craig. That song, that performance just brought me to tears. Wow.

19. twin_trip_mommy

Tonight was a mixture for me. One that I thought was bad last week was much better this week, another that was bad last week was equally as bad this week and there were 3 that I thought were really good.

I think Simon got his feathers in a bunch and felt insulted by a comment made by a singer and he seemed to sulk in it for a bit.

20. moski

Loved David Archuleta last night (is that how you spell it). He blew everyone else away by far. And he's so YOUNG!

21. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I was really bothered by Simon last night when he told that guy (cant remember names yet) that he had no carisma. What bothered be most was that guy tried to make light of it and tried to help make himself not look like such an idiot like Simon made him out to be on national tv and then Simon could not take his reply and was rude back by telling him he knows the rules. It was really uncomfortable and I felt bad for the guy.

22. twin_trip_mommy

I agree. Simon was just doing exactly what he told the singers not to do "sulk".

If he was joking with David Cook then that is one thing but it did not seem like it.

In Davids weekly Q&A he answers this question

"Who is your favorite judge and why?
    Simon because he's such a smart aleck I kind of can be too."

So maybe he was just being that but it did not make Simon look good. He even insulted Davids pre song clip saying that he was boring and needs a better way to relax (or something like that)

23. KYsweetheart

Loved David Archuleta last night (is that how you spell it). He blew everyone else away by far. And he's so YOUNG!

I agree... he has an amazing voice!!

24. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I missed bits of it last night because the kids were going to bed and they were interfering with my ability to watch! :p No DVR in the hotel, I'm not used to NOT being able to rewind etc.!!! Spoiled, I guess! :D

Ok, I really liked David Hernandez, but David A is the one to beat. He's got the young cute sympathetic thing going for him and he's SO nice and really comes across and lovable :wub: HOWEVER....in past years, the one to beat hasn't always won...

Jason Yeager HAS to go tonight! Honestly!
    I still like Dread Jason (He's SO CUTE!)
    I can't stand Daniel Noriega (although he sang really well last night!)
    I think Luke has to go too :( He's fun to look at, but he'll land on a soap or something once he's voted off here! It's just not enough!!

I like a lot of the girls. I don't think that Joanne should have been FIRST to go, but she would have gone eventually. I like Syesha and Asia'h and Ramiele - there are a lot!!!

25. twin_trip_mommy

For the guys

Michael was not as good as he had been and what was up with him looking like he needed a shower?

Jason C was good last night but he seemed to have a hard time hitting some of the higher notes. I like his unique sound.

Luke was okay but he was not able to do that song all that great.

Robbie was not all that great last night. He seems like he wants to be a rocker but he has a softer country sound to his voice not a heavy rock sound that he seems tyo want to have. I think if he chose a Skinard song he would have done better.

Danny N just needs to get over himself. His voice is not all that great and I think he will be next to be asked to leave.

David H was good tonight. He needs to loosten up a little though.

Jason Y is not not up for this challange. He wants to be but he is not good enough.

Chakeze was much better this week but he is still not all that great.

David C has it all going, vocals, look and attitude.

David A is good but I don't think he is the best. I think people want him to win because he sings well for his age and is sweet (cute and shy) but I don't think he is as great as many people are making him out to be.

26. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Feb 27 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]642668[/snapback]

I agree. He was the best last night. Danny N (even though he annoys the heck out of me!) sang much better last night as did Chikezie and David H.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jason (with the bleach stripe in his hair aka Skunky!) and Luke get voted off next.

I'm curious what songs the girls will sing. Maybe some Aretha, Diana Ross, Carly Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Ronstadt?

27. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Feb 27 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]642668[/snapback]

Am I the only one who isn't ga-ga for this kid <_< ? Don't get me wrong, he IS as adorable and sweet as a puppy, and he definitely CAN sing.... BUT I can't see buying his album. He has no niche. DH and I LOVE the show but have only bought albums by 3 AI contestants: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and my absolute ALL TIME FAV...... Chris Daughtry :wub: . There have been lots of amazing singers on AI, but IMHO that's not enough to be a successful recording artist. You also have to have a popular genre and album-buying audience. Guess that's why I like David Cook, I can actually see myself buying an album he releases :D .

28. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(Outnumbered @ Feb 27 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]643681[/snapback]
    Am I the only one who isn't ga-ga for this kid <_< ? Don't get me wrong, he IS as adorable and sweet as a puppy, and he definitely CAN sing.... BUT I can't see buying his album. He has no niche. DH and I LOVE the show but have only bought albums by 3 AI contestants: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and my absolute ALL TIME FAV...... Chris Daughtry :wub: . There have been lots of amazing singers on AI, but IMHO that's not enough to be a successful recording artist. You also have to have a popular genre and album-buying audience. Guess that's why I like David Cook, I can actually see myself buying an album he releases :D .

I'm not ga-ga for him either. I agree about David Cook but I don't know if I would buy a CD. Maybe downloading a few songs for my computer though. I would not even consider doing that for David A. Maybe I would for David H and Michael Johns and a few of the female singers. They are a topic for after tonights show though.

29. Mama_Kim

Y'all don't be messin' with my Simon! "When he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad, he was better! :girl_devil: :p ;)

30. twin_trip_mommy

I think they like to make us not like Simon.

So the show was a hit and a miss for me tonight. I would say that 5 were really good and 5 were either horrible or not as good as they had been before.

31. Mama_Kim

Song selection, song selection, song selection . . . some of them have not found their groove yet and they are running out of time. IMO, the guys outshone the girls this week but not by much.

My favorite performances by the guys this week were:
    Robbie Carrico - Hot Blooded
    David Hernandez - Papa Was a Rolling Stone
    David Cook - All Right Now (and I was worried he wouldn't be able to carry this song off since Paul Rodgers vocals on the original are amazing)
    David Archuleta - Imagine

I was disappointed with Michael Johns this week. And Jason Castro. He needs to change it up a bit. (But he is freakin' adorable.) Luke Menard picked a great Queen song and then couldn't really pull it off. But he is fun to look at! ;) Danny Noriega needs to go home. Jason Yaeger is so talented but he can't seem to break away from that weird cruise ship vibe. Chekezie did much better this week but I'm not all that crazy about him.

David Archuleta is AMAZING. What a voice. And his interpretation of Imagine was fabulous. Brought tears to my eyes. His voice is just so pure and beautiful. And his song choice so far has been impeccable.

My favorite performances by the girls this week:
    Brooke White - You're So Vain (I had a feeling she was going to do this song and she just nailed it and man does she have a hottie husband or what?)
    Ramiele Malubay - Don't Leave Me This Way (although I agree with judges her song selection was poor, she can sing!)
    Kristy Lee Cook - You're No Good (she surprised me because this song was really, really good for her)

Carly Smithson, Syesha Mercado, Amanda Overmyer, Alaina Whitaker, Alexandréa Lushington, Kady Malloy and Asia'h Epperson ALL chose the wrong songs for them this week. I agreed with the judges criticisms of all of them this week. Just horrid.

Overall, I thought David Archuleta was the one to beat this week and no one came near touching him. Second favorite performances were David Cook and Brooke White.

32. moski

I saw on the news this morning that Robbie Carrico's hair may not be his own......they said he is wearing a wig. Not sure how true that is....but hey, if the women can put extensions in, why can't he??

33. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(moski @ Feb 28 2008, 10:45 AM) [snapback]644444[/snapback]
    I saw on the news this morning that Robbie Carrico's hair may not be his own......they said he is wearing a wig. Not sure how true that is....but hey, if the women can put extensions in, why can't he??

a wig :nea:

But it does not matter to me if it's not his own. I would bet more than half the female singers don't have 100% their natural hair

34. KYsweetheart

Carly Smithson, Syesha Mercado, Amanda Overmyer, Alaina Whitaker, Alexandréa Lushington, Kady Malloy and Asia'h Epperson ALL chose the wrong songs for them this week. I agreed with the judges criticisms of all of them this week. Just horrid.

I agree.

Carly didn't do good last night at all... I really like her too though.

35. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Can I just say that I'm really sick of the audience booing the judges every time they open their mouths? Ugh. It's rather annoying, especially since I don't think anyone has been particularly unfair this season.

I'm probably in the minority, but Amanda Overmeyer needs to go.