American Idol Season 10 (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff-old, Jan 11, 2011.

1. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Geez, I don't know if I liked this show tonight or not. I really enjoyed the Vegas performances and continue to be wowed by the overall talent in this season. But they went way too early to the final cuts. And now they have two more hours of that tomorrow night? I'd rather hear more Beatles songs.

2. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I am glad they are finally to the final cuts!! It is about time. I cannot wait until the real competition gets going. I really enjoy a couple guys I have not noticed before. Robbie which I think I mentioned before. his voice is like a stick of butter. Then the guy they showed wearing the white suit with Roses on it. Devon thinks he looks like Bradley Cooper. He is GREAT!!!

3. Chrissy Nelson

Casey Abrahams has been hospitalized (spoiler info in there on if he makes it) http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/23/casey-abrams-american-idol-hospitalized-top-24-stomach-pains-cedars-sinai-overnight/

4. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of folks who liked the performances but not the AI approach of overplaying the drama and long hallway walks to the final chair scene. Why don't they just make the hallway 1/2 mile long and then they can drag out this week's shows into 4-hour mini-events for all five days?

I do agree, though, that I'm seeing some new performers who are also talented and thus far none of the ones they showed making it to the final 24 truly don't belong to be there.

5. Chrissy Nelson

I like how Ryan acts like he has no clue if the people get voted out of not.

Devon said look at the poor people having to do the walk of shame for 5 minutes while the camera follows them. It is a tad long. I think it would be easier to just split them up again and cut them that way.

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought that about Ryan looking like he had no idea. Super sad about Chris over here but lots of positives have come from his Idol experience. He is a classy guy and that showed by the way he handled being let go.

Wonder what will happen with Casey?

7. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Two more hours of walking that long road to the judges chair tonight and they've only shown us 5 of the 24 going on (and 5 going home). I won't be too upset at missing it (Mark and I are working a basketball game tonight) and will get the update from my wife and kids later. However, my idea for making the show more enjoyable tonight is to do an update from last night's "highlight" and show us Ashley Sullivan's divorce after one day of marriage to a man who must be the most patient person in America. (I seem to recall her already threatening him with muder if something went wrong with her performance before the judges) I wonder if she can find the location where her hero Britney Spears and K-Fed got divorced and perform the follow-up ceremony there? :rolleyes:

4 people like this.
  8. Chrissy Nelson

Didn't that marriage that Brittney had only last 24 hours?? So it would be interesting to see if hers matches that long.

I have to say that now they are actually showing the singers sing longer I agree the talent is better this year and there is a nice range of talent. I think the right cuts were made last night, however they really do not need the walk, the small talk, the heart break then the Ryan chat after. I mean really 40 people can be cut down in 1 hour not 3!!. I was following that list online last night and it was right so far.

9. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I cried like a baby when they let Chris go. :cry: Holy cow, why is AI making me cry so much? :umm:

I agree with all that was said... the runway too long, too dramatic, just too much. Cut and let's move on!! I'll watch it tonight too because I am but I would have rather seen more singing then the dramatic "you're in" "you're out" stuff.

10. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Me too, Liz. That was heartbreaking, especially because he was so stoic. I don't blame J-Lo for breaking down because I was a mess. Hollie Cavanagh made me cry too. Argh. And my Steven is just so damn sweet. *sigh*

11. Chrissy Nelson

Steven has some beautiful eyes. I wish he would not wear sunglasses so much!!

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All the drama is too much already! I hate the fakeouts and the long walk.

I found the beatles performances pretty corny for the most part. I know they were trying to show off their performing skills, but the props and such reminded me too much of one of their stupid ford commercials that they do all season.

This show is making me a fan of J-Lo and especially Steven Tyler though! I never really thought much about either of them before, but I actually think it makes a more interesting panel because they're all talented musicians. They definitely have picked out a lot better talent this year.

13. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I agree about the long walks.... :faint:

My FB status last night was about the gap toothed singer who got married! I'm thinking it's over already, right?

Chris will be fine! YOU KNOW Ellen will have him on after he's on LENO this Friday!!!

14. Mama_Kim

He does. :wub: Ironic that he is wearing sunglasses then in my avi, huh? ;)

:faint: It amazes me how many people in my real life (hair stylist, one of my bosses, etc.) that didn't even know who Steven Tyler was before this show. Seriously? Hard for me to fathom since I have been in love with him since I was 15 years old! :lol: I'm so happy that he is doing well and really love the chemistry of this panel together.

15. Rollergiraffe

:lol: I definitely know who he is, I guess I just never really knew much about him as an individual. I do loves me some Aerosmith though.

I also couldn't believe how many of the young'uns didn't know anything about the Beatles last night.. has the world really come to that?

16. Mama_Kim

Oh I know! When that one girl said she'd never heard a Beatles song before! Really? I think that was probably actually a false statement. She probably had heard the songs, just didn't know who it was singing. Thankfully my kids have all gotten a way better musical education than that! :lol:

17. Chrissy Nelson

OK I totally agree with everyone that went through. I am betting on the blonde girl that Steven really likes or the girl thats parents are from Columbia to win. I really think that it is a girls year to win this year.

18. twinstuff2

It's potentially the best AI season in several years but I guess there still may be a lot of missteps to come.

Here's how I would handicap the final 24
    Frontrunners - Lauren Adaina (if she can handle the pressure), Casey Abrams (if he's healthy), Jacob Lusk (if he's not too over-the-top every week), Julie Zorrilla (if enough men/boys vote) and Paul McDonald (if his quirky voice doesn't get too annoying).

Tier Two - Ashthon Jones (probably the strongest black female finalist), Robbie Rosen (if he gets a hair cut and makeover!), and Jordan Dorsey/Clint Gamboa (if they don't piss off America with their attitudes).

Darkhorses - Tim Halperin, Rachel Zevita, Stefano Langone, Pia Toscarro, Naima Adedapo

Long, Longshots - everyone else

19. Mama_Kim

As usual, mybias against female singers for the most part holds true. There are some I like and I expect them to do well, but I much prefer the male vocals at this point. Have to hear what they can do in the live show before I make a judgment.

I am really digging Casey Abrams and that whole stand up bass thing he has a-going on. He is extraordinary.

20. Chrissy Nelson

Casey, Paul, Robbie and Tim are my favs!!! I agree Robbie needs a makeover. Not to be mean but he reminds me of Aladdin with that haircut, but geez that voice!!! I do not really like the girls that much but I really feel a girl is going to win. I think the one guy is too much like Adam too go far.

21. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo: That's exactly who I think he looks like! :lol:

22. seamusnicholas

Kim, this is what Chris says about your man!

(Full interview)

23. Mama_Kim

Oh Nicole, thanks for that! Is it any wonder I love him? :wub: Funny he said "he has an aura about him" as I just said that the other day on my FB page when someone commented on my avi of him. I love it: "He's like a hippie with a mission." :lol: *sigh* It almost makes me a little sad and/or jealous that all these people are now "on to" my Steven! :eek: But I love it!

And while we're on the subject, I hope Chris continues to do well in his career. I think he's awesome and am sad we won't get to see what he can do on the live shows.

24. seamusnicholas

I know its sad but I am wondering if him getting kicked off is better than him being on. I would have loved more than anything to see him live but I think he is going to go really far! You know he is on Leno tonight and Ellen on Monday. His video comes out at 2:00 today! I cant wait. I love his single!

25. Mama_Kim

I knew about Leno but not Ellen. Thanks!

26. twinstuff2

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/02/american-idol-top-24-for-dummies.html

I like this blog - it has pictures of the final 24 and compares them to a current musician. Some seem way off-base but it's a good cheat sheet to figure out who's who if you're confused.

27. Mama_Kim

That's pretty cool, Mark. Thanks! (PS. Hope you had a nice birthday. I wished you birthday greetings a page or so back in this thread but not sure you saw it!)

Does anyone else think Jacob Lusk reminds them of Louis Armstrong?

28. Chrissy Nelson

I am not a fan at all of Haley. I am not sure what it is about her voice but I really do not think she should have made it through.

29. Mama_Kim

I feel similar about Lauren. Her voice is good but she annoys the crap out of me as only a 15 year old 16 year old girl can.

30. Rollergiraffe

I totally dig Casey! He is a real musician, too good for AI I think, but I hope it gives him a big break. I hope he gets lots of exposure and then ultimately doesn't win so he can do his own thing. I also like Paul a lot, but I wonder how he'll interpret some of the songs they throw at him because he has a pretty distinct vocal style. Jacob Lusk is great, but it might get annoying to watch him pour it all out every single week. I think he would be awesome to see at a small live show though.. I could see him blowing the roof off of a club venue. Tim was good, but I don't remember seeing a lot of him.

I can't stand the country dude. He seems so one note to me. They even played it up during his filming where he sang the same song over and over and over. He won't be able to handle a lot of the weekly themes though if he's not able to do his country thing.

There are a lot of strong girls, but no one really stands out for me yet. I think as a whole the group is pretty solid though.

It is too bad that Chris got cut, but I am glad he's getting a lot of exposure and I am sure we'll be seeing lots of him!

31. Chrissy Nelson

It shocks me with the country kid just because of how deep his voice is. I like jacob but could not listen to more than 2 songs from him. Stefano's face reminds me of Eminem, not sure why. I think it is the way he holds his eyes open.

I think Casey and Paul have the all around package musically as the guys go. Paul however has the look, style everything.

32. Mama_Kim

I wish we could see that whole performance from Casey that they showed the clip of last night. Really, really good. He's only 19? That's sick. How does someone so young have that kind of skill and style?

33. Chrissy Nelson

Casey is still in the hospital http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/25/casey-abrams-american-idol-finalist-hospital-stomach-pain-cbs-television-city-sick/#comments-anchor

34. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Chrissy! THe show will go GO ON for Casey!

Mark, you pretty much nailed it - I think that Jordan is going to piss people off and go home earlier than expected. They set that up in the final interview/reveal! They were tainting his chances!

35. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'm already over Jacob Lusk. He clearly is going to be over the top. I predict he never figures out how to pull back a little.

My money is on Casey and Halleigh (that curly haired blond chick--she has an AMAZING voice).