American Idol 2009

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Jan 11, 2009.

1. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just thought I'd get the official American Idol thread started as it starts this Tuesday, Jan 13!!! Here is the official website of the program! Can't wait to see what the new judge brings to the table and whether we have any standouts early on!

2. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I can't WAIT!!!!

3. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

I'm very excited as well! Does anybody know if there will be any changes this season in terms of the new judge? What if 2 say yes and 2 say no, how will this work? My DVR is already set!!

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm excited to watch this year. I never got into last year. But I loved the two seasons before. (The ones with Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry.)

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Thanks Maureen! I was just thinking about this today! :banana:

6. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

This is my first time vsiting the TV forum. I'm psyched to see the American Idol thread. I can't wait! (Dh is not excited- he can't stand the show.). I'm happy to have others to discuss this with!

7. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

Dang it Maureen, you beat me to it!!! :p

I am pretty geeked too, and wonder how it is all going to play out with the new judge. Is it on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week? If so, I will have to DVR Thursday's since I am going to see "Footloose: The Musical" that night!

I can't believe it is starting already!! The end of AI means The Deadliest Catch and SYTYCD, and then football season again!!! I know I am a dork!

8. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

This is the one TV show my family (wife, sons and I) do try to watch together. I'm curious to see how my sons react in the post-Guitar World era (just got that for Christmas so the young 'uns are a little more familiar with some rock songs plus singing in the microphone or joining in on the guitar?)

I usually enjoy a couple of audition shows although they do tend to show too many auditions. There's some new change this year (or the return of an old rule from four or five years ago?) in which some people voted off the show can return later. I think it's the way Jennifer Hudson stayed on the show several years ago.

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing Simon again. :wub:

10. keejaylove

keejaylove Well-Known Member

so super excited about tonight!!!!
    i wonder how Paula will behave knowing she's probably gonna get the boot next season...?

11. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 13 2009, 06:35 AM) [snapback]1144711[/snapback]

Oh no you didn't! Simon? Really?

I'm very excited for AI. DH and I love it, and we never miss it! Although I agree with Craig, sometimes its too much with the auditions .... I hope they don't drag them out too long this year ...

Jennifer Hudson was never voted off ... back then they had the rule that the top 2 vote getters in a group made it onto the show ... and I think it was actually Jennifer and Ruben that got the top 2 votes ... Clay was added on as a judges pick or something like that ...

12. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(caba @ Jan 13 2009, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1145421[/snapback]

Oh yes I did. I love me some Simon. :wub: :lol:

13. moski

QUOTE(caba @ Jan 13 2009, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1145421[/snapback]

She really does have a little thing for bad boys! ;)

14. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 13 2009, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1145434[/snapback]
    She really does have a little thing for bad boys! ;)

Yes, guilty as charged. :D

15. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Just 2 more hours !! :)

16. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 13 2009, 04:35 AM) [snapback]1144711[/snapback]

:rofl: I was looking for this!!!

Erica, I remember the things you were talking about as the vote getters and the judges choice coming into the final rounds!! I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it!

I am looking forward to fewer auditions. I think that was one of the changes - or fewer bad auditions. I think SIMON is the TIE BREAKER! :eek: Scary!!! If it's 2 and 2, he breaks the tie. :laughing:

I can't wait to see how the new judge plays into it. She's such an accomplished professional in the biz!!

17. ehm

ehm Banned

Ok, I don't think I am liking the songs they are playing after the people perform. Seems odd but maybe something I can get used to????

My gut is actually that the new judge will be replacing Simon in the future not Paula. I know no one else thinks this but that is just my gut and I am going to type it out so in the future I will have it in writing :laughing: . Simon has already said he is not renewing his contract and I believe it was a 10 year deal.

18. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I did not like that they put the bathing suit girl through. Someone with a nasty attitude like that does not deserve the opportunity! She was so disrespectful!

19. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jan 13 2009, 11:31 PM) [snapback]1146035[/snapback]
    I did not like that they put the bathing suit girl through. Someone with a nasty attitude like that does not deserve the opportunity! She was so disrespectful!

I agree!

20. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jan 14 2009, 02:31 AM) [snapback]1146035[/snapback]

Yeah, whats with THAT ??

Oh well she'll just fall HARD in Hollywood. :cool:

21. lalalauren86

lalalauren86 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jan 13 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1146035[/snapback]

:clapping: I would have put her through :FIFblush:

22. twinstuff-old

QUOTE(lalalauren @ Jan 13 2009, 09:43 PM) [snapback]1146058[/snapback]
    :clapping: I would have put her through :FIFblush:

I was concentrating on the voice and was shocked - SHOCKED - to hear she was dressed in nothing but a bikini.

I thought she had amazing (vocal) assets. Good for the guys to recognize her TAlents...

So far, our family hasn't been blown away by anyone but at least a few have interesting characters. We have a new tattoo girl to follow (can't remember the Irish singer from San Diego last year who made it kind of far?)

23. lalalauren86

lalalauren86 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jan 13 2009, 09:01 PM) [snapback]1146093[/snapback]
    I was concentrating on the voice and was shocked - SHOCKED - to hear she was dressed in nothing but a bikini.

I thought she had amazing (vocal) assets. Good for the guys to recognize her TAlents...

So far, our family hasn't been blown away by anyone but at least a few have interesting characters. We have a new tattoo girl to follow (can't remember the Irish singer from San Diego last year who made it kind of far?)

Now I do have to agree with that, she did sound great. Didn't really need her everythings showing, still it was nice to look at. I wonder what she will wear if she makes it all the way through.

24. JDMummy

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 13 2009, 06:35 AM) [snapback]1144711[/snapback]
    Looking forward to seeing Simon again.

Awww Kim, you beat me to it! :wub:

QUOTE(ehm @ Jan 13 2009, 09:24 PM) [snapback]1146016[/snapback]
    Ok, I don't think I am liking the songs they are playing after the people perform. Seems odd but maybe something I can get used to????

My gut is actually that the new judge will be replacing Simon in the future not Paula. I know no one else thinks this but that is just my gut and I am going to type it out so in the future I will have it in writing . Simon has already said he is not renewing his contract and I believe it was a 10 year deal.

Tonight's songs sounded like Fantasia and some other idols' songs too. :rolleyes:

I agree with you ehm! I think that she is to replace Simon too. Which makes me sad because I won't watch AI anymore if he is gone. :cry:

25. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(Sarah© @ Jan 14 2009, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1147765[/snapback]
    Awww Kim, you beat me to it! :wub:
    Tonight's songs sounded like Fantasia and some other idols' songs too. :rolleyes:

I agree with you ehm! I think that she is to replace Simon too. Which makes me sad because I won't watch AI anymore if he is gone. :cry:

Ahhh, Sarah, a kindred spirit!! :D

26. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I liked the music teacher tonight that his wife died, he had a good voice, I also like the pink haired tattoo girl from yesterday. Other than that, too many comercials and a waste of my time watching. I have been recording and watching later. Not sure if I will watch the rest of qualifying.

27. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Chrissy, I'm with you on the guy who's wife died.

The guy who begged his way in won't be there long!!!

28. JDMummy

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 14 2009, 10:49 PM) [snapback]1147828[/snapback]
    Chrissy, I'm with you on the guy who's wife died.

He was great... loads of soul.

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 14 2009, 10:49 PM) [snapback]1147828[/snapback]
    The guy who begged his way in won't be there long!!!

He was the one with the sunglasses on his head right? Yeah, he will never last. :rolleyes:

29. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ Jan 14 2009, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1147784[/snapback]
    I have been recording and watching later. Not sure if I will watch the rest of qualifying.

They really drag it out at this point! I always Tivo and watch Idol after the kids go to bed. It's the only way I could bear to watch....but then again that's how I watch most of my shows. It's such a time waster to watch any shows live...especially ones that are 1-2 hours long.

30. twinstuff-old

I think my wife and I caught like 5-10 minutes of each of the last two nights of auditions. Way too early to have any real sense of favorites. Hopefully they'll get to Hollywood soon!

31. Mama_Kim

I recorded and ff'ed through both nights last night. Lots of good talent in SF! And that little homeless girl at the end last night was awesome, the one who wrote her original song. Oh, and I loved the kid in SF who sang Bohemian Rhapsody. I hope we see more of them in Hollywood!

32. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 22 2009, 08:07 AM) [snapback]1157087[/snapback]
    I recorded and ff'ed through both nights last night. Lots of good talent in SF! And that little homeless girl at the end last night was awesome, the one who wrote her original song. Oh, and I loved the kid in SF who sang Bohemian Rhapsody. I hope we see more of them in Hollywood!

I agree with you, Kim. I was really impressed with the homeless girl who wrote her own song. I think the judges were pleasantly surprised as well.

If Simon goes, so will the show, IMHO. I think the ratings would go down drastically. I also LOVE Simon and won't watch it if he is gone!

33. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(jen8675309 @ Jan 22 2009, 10:12 AM) [snapback]1157260[/snapback]
    If Simon goes, so will the show, IMHO. I think the ratings would go down drastically. I also LOVE Simon and won't watch it if he is gone!

No doubt. I adore Simon and think he makes the whole show. Without him, it would not be worth watching. ;)

34. moski

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 22 2009, 10:38 AM) [snapback]1157288[/snapback]
    No doubt. I adore Simon and think he makes the whole show. Without him, it would not be worth watching. ;)

I completely agree with both of you. I know Simon can be cruel sometimes, but he is right on with a lot of his assessments.

35. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 22 2009, 10:58 AM) [snapback]1157324[/snapback]
    I completely agree with both of you. I know Simon can be cruel sometimes, but he is right on with a lot of his assessments.

Yes, he is usually right. On occasion, I think he gets it wrong, but overall, he is spot on.