adjusting to our new feeding schedule

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Jan 25, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i dropped a bottle late last week. we went from 5 to 4 and now feed the kids at 8, 12, 4 and 8. we attempted solids at the 8am feeding (always works well) and then again at 5). they haven't been napping OR sleeping well now.
    does it take a few days to adjust? i am thinking of going back to our old schedule and dropping the amount of milk for the sake of naps and rest!

2. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

I wish I was on a schedule. Well we are to some degree. I just wish I could say for certain they will eat at these times but it doesn't work that way. Maybe I should just try to see. HMMMM!

Anyway my twins are almost 8 months old (on the 1st) and when they started to really eat baby food, they went from one meal a day to 3 meals practically overnight. Then they naturally dropped a bottle so I feed them 4 bottles a day majority of the time.

But I am going to try just going by time and not by the nap to feeding them.

I am with you, they don't nap very well or at least what I would like them to. When they went to 3 meals a day, they started to stay up longer from 2 hours to 3 hours. That is fine with me, I just wish their 2 (used to be 3) naps a day would be longer than 1 hour. UGH!

I have been playing with their schedule to see if the food will help them nap. Tried feeding them more, rearranging when they eat, for example after their first nap I used to give them a bottle, now I feed them lunch then give them a full bottle about 1 hour later which is closer to their nap time. I don't know what that is doing. UGH!

If you figure it out that would be great for you! I am sure EVERYONE wishes they knew what would work for sleep. LOL!

3. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Yay for u on getting to 4 bottles and the new schedule. The 8/12/4/8 schedule is mine too with solids only 1x between 4 and 8 now-will be starting to get bettr with am feeding consistency starting this week! Anyway-mine are sleeping thru night and napping 1x am and 1x pm with another brief catnap here or there. It did take a few days to get back in the swing of things with naps tho. If they are not sleeping at night, it may be bcause they are a tiny bit hungry. I wouldnt go back to 5th bottle though, just increase food quantity by a tablespoon or so each at either morning or afternoon/evening feeding?

4. newtothis

prior to the bottle drop they slept 12 hours at night and their naps were pretty good. 30 mins - 1 hr in the morning, followed by a long nap later on in the afternoon. now their naps stink! one LO isn't napping and isn't sleeping at night.

they used to go down around 2, 230 for their long nap but i am *hoping* its just an adjustment.

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what their feeding schedule has to do with sleep. Am I missing something?

6. newtothis

i think their nap schedule is now all off.
    they always went down at the same time. 10 (which is still ok) followed by a quick nap around noon and then they would have a 2:00 bottle and sleep for a good 1.5 - 2 hours.

now they dont have that 2:00 bottle and are getting cranky and cant sleep.
    i did solids yesterday at 2 but no one napped!

7. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

i dont know if feeding solids has anything to do with longer sleep....it did nothing in my case!! it took maybe a week to adjust...but i introduced cereal first in the morning and at night...then about a month later i started with the veggies and fruit...My feeding schedule is as follows

7-8am 7oz bottle( usually take about 6 oz)
    9-10am oatmeal with some sort of fruit
    11am-12pm 7oz bottle
    1pm-2pm vegetables
    3pm-4pm nother bottle
    5-6pm oatmeal and veggies
    7-8pm last bottle

i find that when i feed a bottle, if i wait 1 hour-1 hour and a half they usually will take a nice nap. who know though i was told that when they started the cereal they will sleep through the night which i am still waiting for!!!