Activities

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mama_dragon, Jun 16, 2016.

1. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

How many hours do your kids spend in organized activities outside of school/daycare/summer camp? I always worry about over scheduling yet my kids thrive.

For us they do not participate in team sports so we do not have the practices/games. But they do participate in a wide variety of activities so it probably comes out to the same number of hours. It depends on the season (swim, dance etc.) but it comes out to about 3 to 3.5 hours a week. They are 2nd graders.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids do not do organized sports either.
    For my daughter it's about 3.5 hours per week between dance, choir and a story tails program at our local animal shelter.
    My son is about 1.5 hours per week between choir and the story tails program. My two finish up second grade today.
    Over the summer they will be in camp 4 days a week, plus 4 day science program.

3. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

During the school year it's 1 1/2 hours of horseback riding, once a week, since 1st Grade. During the summer its Day Camp (all outdoors, no electronics, no A/C anywhere) for at least 10 of the 12 weeks they are out.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my boys plays on two soccer teams. So…he does soccer, essentially, 6 days a week. Minimum 6 hours/week I'd say on soccer. That's all he does. My daughter plays soccer, although she may switch to dance, or add on dance. So, she's at 2-3 hours for soccer(up to 3 practices a week she can go to-it's the developmental portion). Anthony doesn't do soccer. He did in the fall for the Rec department, so that was a total of 2 hours/week.

So for us it's 6 hours/wk; and 2/3 hours a week.
    My boys are 8.5 and my daughter just turned 7.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Our schedule seems insane!
    Clayton - Baseball 3-4 times a week for 1.5 hours each evening from May - end of June.
    - Supposed to be in Boy Scouts, but it interferes with baseball.
    - Boy Scout Camp - 4-5 days in August.
    Audrey - 6 day camp in June & 3 day camping trip in July.
    Evan - Swimming lessons (9 days for 45 minutes each day) in July.

Each individually is fine, but all together it seems like a lot. IF we were to be traveling this schedule would interfere, but it works. The kids need some structure.

6. Mark Black

Mark Black Member

I don't want my daughter to be too busy every day, so I chose only one activity for her. It's horseback riding, and she seems to love it, so I don't want to add something else to her schedule and exhaust her.

7. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member

I feel like my daughter already spends her whole day in kindergarten, so I don't want to lose her for another hour or two after that. That's why my daughter doesn't have any organized activities for now. I just don't feel like we spend enough time together, and I even bought her a playground from the Goodevas brand so she would stay at home for longer. I know that I might be wrong, but I miss her so much during the day, so I don't want her to spend more time with strangers than her own mother during the day.
    [​IMG]