ACK! Discipline Help

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Oneplus2more, May 24, 2012.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

So I just started letting the girls be in the front yard by themselves for more than a few minutes this spring when it started getting warm out. The rule is they can't go past the sidewalk (toward the street). Two weeks ago, while I was inside making dinner and they were supposed to be doing chalk in the driveway, they wrote all over our mailbox with the chalk & broke off the flag - that part was accidental...but still. When I told them not only did they damage the mailbox but it was dangerous too...they said "well we moved back when cars came by" as though it was no big deal. So - damage to the mailbox plus not staying back from the street. We didn't let them in the front yard by themselves for a week & thought they had learned their lesson.

Tonight, Rachel confessed at bedtime they were standing at the very end of the driveway throwing rocks at cars while they were outside. I asked how many they threw - she didn't seem to know but guessed 15. 15!!! and then said they "only" hit one. I asked if there was any damage and she said no but I'm not sure if she knew that or not. I went through long list of all the things that may have happened due to this.

So...indefinitely not allowed in the front yard by themselves but I don't think that is strong enough. How would you handle this?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oooh, throwing rocks at cars is a biggie. For my two, I would do no television or leapsters/iphones for a week.

But on the other hand, one confessed, so you have to do something to let her know that honesty was right. Maybe make them all write an apology letter to the cars owners instead? You don't have to deliver them, but at least they would have to think about what they did.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I would definitely not let them in the front yard alone anymore, and I like bex's idea to write sorry notes to the cars. This sounds like something my girls would do if given the opportunity and got caught up in the moment. So maybe I'm raising future delinquents too.

4. becasquared

(Neighbor)Hoodlums unite!

5. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I like the letter idea, they are working on them right now. They want to know what we will do with them when they are done. (I have no idea who any of the driver's were). I told them they will see. - I might go tape them to the tree out front just for impact.

Yes, the yard thing started with allowing them to play on the porch, then it was chalk in the driveway, then it was the whole yard...but they are not making good choices or following basic rules.

Today is the first day of summer break for my oldest and I had planned a fun day but I think they will be sorting & organzing toys instead. UGH! I'm so disappointed in them, and especially because they love to come tattle about all kinds of little petty things but this was N's idea and then the other two joined in instead of tattling on that! (I mean at the time) H even said she told N they shouldn't...yet, she still did it "to see what it was like" and my oldest was the last to join in. Yes, she is almost eight! She is always copying her little sisters. :gah: FWIW, they were pieces of gravel not rocks of much size and the "good news" is they all have bad aim! *sigh*

6. becasquared

Ooooh, tape them to the tree. Good idea!

ETA: The letters! Not the girls!! :laughing:

1 person likes this.
  7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I think taping the apology to the tree is a great idea too. I'd probably also ask them what they think punishment should be if you want to take a toy away or some other privilege. My girls come up with some good ideas when asked. And yeah - probably no more unsupervised time in the front yard since they've shown on two occasions they aren't making good decisions. Maybe tell them they can earn the privilege back with two weeks of good behavior?

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it makes you feel any better at all, a few summers ago my son (he was maybe 5-6 at the time) and my nephew (who was 2 yrs older so around 7-8) were throwing rocks at our OWN vehicles. Mine and my sisters. ROCKS not pebbles. Oh my word I felt like the worst mother ever, and they both caught major hell for it.

You are far from alone in raising your future delinquents!! ;) I think you got some good ideas about punishments.