A thought for those of you concerned about separate classes...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sharongl, May 2, 2009.

1. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Let me begin by saying that there are 4 sets of twins in my boys' first grade. All sets are split, and they are split among 3 different classrooms--there are a total of 6 first grade classrooms. I was talking to Marcus' teacher about the Mother's Day program that they were doing, and that Marcus' is on the 8th and Jonathan's is on the 12th. She said that the three teachers got together and agreed on different days in which to do their programs, so the mom's had the opportunity to attend for each child. She said it wasn't a big deal to schedule, and it allowed the three teachers to pick the day that worked best for them (we have a rotating 6 day schedule, so some days have more specials than others). The two teachers who have days that don't have specials were able to schedule their programs on those days, so they have plenty of time to get ready that day!

Just something to think about for those of you who don't want to separate their kids for fear of missing a class program. Talk to the teachers, you may find that they do talk to each other to accomodate multiples by doing things at staggered times or on different days.

2. double dribble

double dribble Well-Known Member

That is great. My boys' teachers have done the same things this year. The most recent example- they have a mother's "tea" on Thursday and Joe's is at 9 am and Will's is at 2 pm. I'm pretty sure the teachers scheduled them at different times just to make sure I could go to both. You're right, it's important to communicate with the teachers and if at all possible they really are willing to work with you as much as they can.

3. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Or, as in my case, the teachers do everything at the same time, so I can enjoy events with both children at once. For field trips, I take turns officially attending with one child's class, but I'm there and interacting with both of them. I like that, too.

4. ehm

ehm Banned

We have things like field trips together but also have the individual things and the teachers make sure those don't happen at the same time. The teachers even get together when sending out the parent teacher conference times in order to ensure that the timing works out for parents with children in multiple classes. They really have been very thoughtful and accommodating in my experience.

The only thing that has happened at the same time was the major school things like intro to Kindergarten and even then one teacher went over the specific class room rules first and the other teacher went over the specific class info second so that I could switch between the classes and get the specific information for each class. I missed the general school info but it was all in the school handbook which parents have to sign the back page and send back to confirm it had been read so no big deal.

5. HopeforFuture

HopeforFuture Well-Known Member

Well, I just "tea hopped" today between A & L's classes and it really wasn't a big deal. I first went to Andrew's class. He was a bit upset and crying because it was "new" because the Mommy's don't come everyday and he didn't want a party. That was his Aspergers showing. But then he calmed down and was fine. Then I went to Laura's and had fun. Andrew and his aide came over and I got to take their picture together - Andrew, Laura and Mrs. B. So, it's really not a big deal. The teachers at our school are just in awe that any twin parent can walk and talk and not have spiddle running out of their mouth! :laughing:

I wouldn't want Andrew & Laura in the same room. But that is their personalities and how they interact. Everyone knows their twins and it really isn't hard to figure out what is best for each set.

6. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Our school works with us for scheduling conferences and such. When filling out forms for conferences or anything it always asks on the form if you have any other children in the school so things can be scheduled at different times not just for if you have multiples but if you have more than one child in the school. For my mother's tea all the K classes stood up on stage and sang so I got to see both girls up there and then we sat at the cafateria tables with each child and ate our snacks and drank our tea. I sat with one of my daughters and my mom sat with the other because both girls wanted to sit with their class. But I could've sat with both of them but one would not have been able to sit with her class like she wanted. The school does work with us which is nice and even Kira's teacher said that when I asked about the tea. He said it's whatever you want to do to make it easier on you the school will work with you on whatever you choose.