A question for parents

Discussion in 'General' started by Code, May 10, 2009.

1. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Hi I am almost 18, and here in Australia is like *21st* birthdays in America and because it is on a thursday we are doing family dinner out and a couple of drinks to celebrate and then having a party on the friday night. (Chloes and my idea) and I want to thank my parents for all that they have done for me but I dont know a nice way of doing so, any ideas would be helpful

2. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I don't know.. I have never really thought about it. How sweet of you. I'm sure anything you do will be loved, but I'll give it some thought.

3. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I just want to do something to show them that the life they have given me is amazing, and I'm thankful for it because I am! Plus want to try and let my mum understand that I'm not a baby anymore although I am her youngest child I understand why she doesnt want me to grow up and move away - which she doesnt want, I planned on moving to the other side of Australia - she said no. Wanted to do a gap year overseas before uni - she said no because she doesnt want me to be gone!

I love her heaps :)

Any ideas? :)

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I think a simple card thanking them for all the opportunities they have given you would be great. Your mom will always think of you as her baby and may just need a reminder of how much you love her and that no matter where in the world you live, you will be in touch and always thinking of her.

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 16 2009, 06:31 AM) [snapback]1315880[/snapback]
    I think a simple card thanking them for all the opportunities they have given you would be great. Your mom will always think of you as her baby and may just need a reminder of how much you love her and that no matter where in the world you live, you will be in touch and always thinking of her.

I agree with Megan. Just a card with a letter telling them how you feel would be awesome. How very sweet of you. Your mom and dad should be so proud to have raised such a loving, thoughtful, young adult. :)

Happy Birthday!!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have to agree with everyone else. Write it down. She will love it & keep it forever. And when you aren't right there with her, she can go back & read it and know how much you love her. It's really sweet of you to think of doing something for her on your birthday. Happy birthday to you!

7. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Thank you all for you ideas! I shall get them a nice thankyou card!
    Its the way I am, I always put others before myself because I dont like seeing others upset. although our birthday isnt for 3 months its the "BIG" one so its getting planned early and with school I dont have heaps of time actually around my birthday as it will be trials for the hsc!

Thank you all :)

8. syoung

syoung Member

I also agree with everyone else, and just wanted to suggest that you point out specific
    things that you are thankful for.

9. CWatsonJr

CWatsonJr Well-Known Member

I have to agree. A hug and a thank you are worth more than a gift. Also, promise to keep in touch with them and keep them up to date on what you are doing while you are away at college.

10. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, I am going to give them a hug and have a nice family dinner and a drink to celebrate with them, mums just about in tears she feels so old. My older brother and her were cleaning my nephews room and she goes "I cant chuck these out" talking about toys that were ours and she was almost crying! :( it was sad!

11. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Codie,
    I agree with everyone else. A nice thank you card is great. Writing down your thoughts is always a precious gift. What Alisha and I did also, was make a video of the two of us from when we were born till now.. and we showed it at our 18th this year. Just an idea, dont no whether you'd like to do something similar. :)

12. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

As a mother, that is the sweetest thing ever! I would have cried my eyes out watching that video! what a sweet idea!! I feel your mom's pain - I can't imagine one of my kids moving to the other side of the country either! It is hard enough to let my 15yr old go to the mall12 miles from here!

13. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I let them know how much I am thankful for last week at my party, it was amazing!

Heather my plans have changed I plan on going overseas at the end of next year depending on if I get into university this year or wait and go the year after, she says NO to Ireland but YES to Iceland as we have a cousin there who I am close to.

Growing up happens to fast!! :(