6 weeks pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Loranda, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Loranda

Loranda Member

Well, I got a BFP two weeks ago. This news has taken a while to sink in! My girls are turning 3 in a month and I really wasn't sure if we'd have more after them. I can't say it was planned, but it wasn't an accident. I go back and forth between feeling anxiety and happiness. I already booked my dating ultrasound to rule out twins again! I'm not sure I could deal with that, I hardly survived the first time around!
    For those of you that had twins as your first and got pregnant again, did you feel worried too? It can't be as hard the second time around, especially if it's one baby,.. right?! It just means so many changes...

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I was terrified of twins again. Terrified! You know you'll be okay, but ugh I was terrified. It wasn't. It's one, and now at 8 months I am totally calm. I keep thinking of my maternity leave as like a vacation. I know I'm deluding myself a little, but it's one baby. One baby! How hard could one baby be? There will be times when all the babies in my house are sleeping! Because there is only one baby! Famous last words, I know, but that's where my head is at. :)

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Congrats! We'll probably have similar due dates. I'm 5.5wks now. And I'm also terrified of twins again!
    I'm hoping it will be easier this time around!

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Totally forgot to say congratulations!

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Been there!

My boys were not 2 yet, though. I found out I was pregnant on a Sunday (unplanned; although I knew I wanted another when the boys were 5 or so) and had a head count ultrasound on Monday. There was 1! I was nervous, too- my boys are high-octane little kids.

I will say that Annabelle, my singleton, is very calm and laid back. She is not high-maintenance (well, she is an 1 yo...). She's also one of the best things to happen to our family. It did take me a few months to really get on board but when I finally got over my worries it was a wonderfully uncomplicated pregnancy, awesome vbac and it's so freaking easy to nurse 1 vs. 2. Honestly 1 is SO much easier for us than 2 was.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I was terrified of twins again with my first pregnancy after my twins and with this one too! Sounds pretty normal to me. One baby is definitely easier, but now with a 20 month old, I remember the advantage of having twins: they had someone to play with!

Congratulations!

7. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My third child was also unplanned but not a surprise. I was terrified of twins again and had a hard time feeling happy about the pregnancy in the beginning. I found out at 10 weeks we were only having one and a small part of me was disappointed, but I was mostly relieved and finally began feeling excited. I think all newborns are a challenge, but one baby is a breeze compared to having two! And, if it is twins again... at least you have experience on your side this time!!!!

Congratulations! Sending wishes for an easy and healthy pregnancy!

8. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Congrats!

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!

Personally, I found adding a third super easy. It helps that all of my kids are (generally) laid back. Don't get me wrong, we still did (and do! Who am I kidding?) have our days where everyone's melting down and when daddy gets home from work I barricade myself in the basement sans children but overall, adding one baby to our family was SO much easier than two at a time. Also, being our second time at the rodeo there were so many things that we already knew, our parenting style was more established, DH & my communication was much better overall - of course there were hiccups and plan 'A's that had to be adjusted but it just seemed so much smoother this time around. Smooth enough that I'd add another one or two if I could convince DH. ;)

The things that I did worry about, I took steps to mitigate and prepare for prior to Emmett's arrival. The big concerns for me were PPD and issues with breastfeeding. I made sure to arrange a ton of PP support, including a postpartum doula for after Emmett's arrival. I also encapsulated my placenta and made sure everyone and their dog knew that I had NO plans to leave my bed for at least the first two weeks after baby was born (standard of care for midwives here is to do all appointments at the client's house until the 2 week check). I saw my whole job in those first two weeks as resting, recovering, establishing breastfeeding and getting to know the new baby - EVERYthing else was delegated to someone else. It worked really well - I felt so good physically and emotionally and it just kind of felt like Emmett slipped right into our family like he'd always been there. :wub:

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

I am in the same boat as many here whose 2nd pregnancy was unplanned but very welcomed. The possibility that it was twins again (IVF first time) was so remote I never even gave it a second thought. (It was twins but lost one.) You've done it once before if it is twins. Until you find out though, try not to think about it.

11. Loranda

Loranda Member

Thank you so much for your comments and words of encouragement. Have you booked an ultrasound gina_leigh?
    Cheezewhiz24, reading your words that your daughter is the best thing to happen to your family really gives me hope. I am so unsure of the big changes that are going to happen. For a long time I really imagined it was just going to be the four of us... things are just starting to become easier and now... sleep deprivation, exhaustion, no patience... ugh I hope it is as you say it is and that my baby will be (one baby!) and easy too.
    Weegus, I know what you mean about having a hard time feeling happy in the beginning. I am hoping it will change.
    Miss-bossy, what you said about 2 weeks in bed is something I never thought of. I didn't have time to recover the first time around. This time I think I'll plan more in advance what I'll need from others the first two weeks so I can stay in bed as much as possible and hopefully rest and recover.
    Thanks JicJac, I will try not to think about it!

12. Loranda

Loranda Member

It's ONE!!!! We are so relieved and happy!

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats!! :)