5.5 months old and will NOT eat solid food.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lianyla, Mar 4, 2012.

1. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

He just won't eat solid food. I know it's not a huge deal and eventually he will but has anyone else had this problem??
    mou
    He also won't take medicine. He has an ear infection now and HOLY HANNAH. I cannot even tell you what I am going through w/ the amox. BAD. I'm going to take him in to get the Rocephin shot this week. I've tried EVERYTHING. He's only 18 lbs but I have had to straddle him, plug nose.. you name it. Still results in him BLOWING the medicine into his eyes.

Anyway, anyone else??

Is it ok that he's not eating solids?

My kids seem to have an aversion to having things in their mouths. It's strange. They never put things in their mouths like other kids do. (I'm glad for this.) But they don't like to take a bottle much and won't take pacifiers..

Just curious cuz i know most kids aren't like this!

2. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about him not wanting solids as he's only 5.5 months, he might just not be ready yet. Also if he's unwell at the moment that could be affecting it. I'd give solids a break for a few weeks and then try again.

As for the medicine I normally find that one of the easiest ways to give it to babies is to put it into a bottle teat just before a feed and let them suck it out of that, but obviously that won't work if he doesn't take bottles. The other way to get it in them is to use a syringe. You will still need to hold him down but you can put the syringe right into his mouth, you need to angle it towards the back of his cheek and then squeeze in slowly (like 0.5-1ml per squeeze and wait for each bit to be swallowed before squeezing more). Not much fun but it is effective, they can't spit it out because it's such a small amount so far back in their mouths. Also even if they turn their head mid dose none gets spilled.

Just one other thing to consider: is it a flavoured Amoxicillin? If not that may be the problem because the un-flavoured stuff tastes horrible (they do normally give kids the flavoured stuff because of that).

Good luck, having to give medicine to an uncooperative child is no fun at all!

3. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to worry about solids yet. The recommendation is usually to start solids at 6 months. He might not be sure what to do with it. I tried to see how ready my 5 month old was the other day and she just pushed the food out with her tongue, but it seemed like she liked it, so she is just not quite ready yet. You can keep introducing every once in a while, but I wouldn't worry about it.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Evan did not have any solid foods until he was 7 months old. Seriously, babies are meant to drink breastmilk/formula exclusively until they are about a year. Before then solid food is just practice!!! Relax and do not get frustrated.. he'll get it. Just not now at 5.5 months.!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with everyone else, the solids are not even remotely an issue or concern. If he likes them great, but if not, it really & truly doesn't matter in the slightest. He'll take to them when he's ready.

For the antibiotics, have you tried letting him sip it from a cup? It's a potentially very messy proposition, but it might work. I've used small shot glasses to good effect. You tilt the cup just enough for them to sort of lap it up. GL!

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the solids yet either.

As for the medicine, in addition to everyone else's ideas, I remember one time seeing my mom give medicine to my niece, who was VERY hard to get to take it. She would have the syringe ready, blow a puff of air in her face, and then when she took a breath and opened her mouth, give her the medicine. I've never done it myself because my kids have always taken things very easily, but I saw her do it several times when my SIL was having similar troubles to you.

7. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

I did this in the beginning with my LO when she came home from hospital and it works!! I also use a 5ml syringe and like pp said, just put in a little at a time. Definitely make sure it's flavoured!

And remember, solids at this age until they're a year old, is only a practice for them to eat, it's not of nutritional value.. it reminds me of something I read in a baby food book recently, nobody has ever got to adulthood without knowing how to eat! So I agree with all the posts above, give it a break for a little while and try again later down the track, some babies just go on to table food without doing the purees... here's a really good website to have a look at if you want some additional info:

Wholesome Baby Food

You're doing a super job, GL!

8. lianyla

Hey girls,
    Thank you. I only try like once every 2 weeks or so. I know it's not a big deal but since the twins were eating like mad by 4 months, it just feels weird ;)

He's huge tho and healthy so it's not a big concern.

I have been putting it in the bottle and he knows it's in there and won't eat it. UNLESS he's slept for 12 hours then it's a non issue. The problem is it's amox 3xs a day for TEN DAYS!! Yowzer! And OF COURSE the twins have strep and husband has strep so I'm giving it to them 3xs a day TOO! Oh and I'm on something for sinus inf. You should see the fridge!

I'll try the blowing thing but I'll tell ya.. the kid is a magician. I took him in to show the doc what I'm talking about and he said he has NEVER seen anything like it! LOL! Let me be the first please.

And oh yes.. it's flavored! Heavens I cannot even imagine what would've happened otherwise. I tried Zantac (think peppermint scnhapps!) on him when he was 2 weeks... Lasted a day. The kid FREAKED. Wouldn't eat etc.

He's the opposite of my twins in EVERY way. He's a super super super laid back good baby. (they were opposite and still are.) They ate and took meds.. he won't.

So, thank you. I may try the blowing thing but ZAM I have walls covered in bubblegum meds already!

Oh and the doc suggested putting it in white grape juice.. he about puked.

THANK YOU!! I'm new to the straddle and blow method!

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We would put them in a high chair and lean it all the way back so they were laying down. Then blow and syringe way to the back of the mouth. Blow again. Done.

And no worries about solids. We tried to start at 4 months, and in retrospect just drove ourselves crazy until they were finally ready at 7 months.

10. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

We have had one that was very difficult to give meds to. Try using the syringe and squirt it in his cheek, just a tiny bit at a time. It will take you a good 5 minutes to give it to him, but he won't be able to spit it out.

Starting solids before they are ready is like trying to potty train before they are ready. You will just make huge messes and will not get anywhere but crazy!

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh - it's TOTALLY fine that your 5.5 month old isn't ready for solids. Our pedi told us not to even start until our twins were 6 months old... and neither of my girls were interested until they were 8 months old. Seriously. No solid food at all until they were 8 months old. We were working with a therapist for Piper's reflux, so I didn't worry because she said there was no reason to stress at all about a baby not taking to solids until 8 or 9 months old.

So... do not worry!! And don't push it with your son, there is just no need. Give him several weeks of a break and try again when he's 7 months old. No one ever knows by the time a child is 2 when they started eating solid food, so there's no benefit to forcing it if he isn't ready.

I second the recommendation for a medicine syringe. Or ask if you can give it in food like applesauce.

12. lianyla

You guys are the best! :)
    The funny thing is, I start walking towards the high chair and he FREAKS out bawling. LOL. I'll try again in a month!

And the meds thing, I really hope it gets better. I've tried the little bits in the cheek thing but I may try it again going even slower. The problem is he is strong (sounds soo stupid), and he clamps down and turns his head! UGH.

I think we have like 6 more days of it! I'll keep you posted. He's in his crib right now "picking" the fish off of his crib sheets! The kid is funny.