4 Weeks Old......How long should they sleep? How much should they eat?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jb35sport, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jb35sport

jb35sport Active Member

Our twins will be 4 weeks on Thursday and I'm curious how much (on average) they should eat when fed. We currently feed them 2.5 - 3oz. at a time.

How long of sleep intervals should we experience during the night? They don't have any healthy issues (that we know of) and were big healthly 7lbs twins born at 37 weeks.

We really really want a routine established and the earlier, the better. We let our 4yr. old live until now without any structure, and it shows! I realize they are small and less than 4 weeks old, but am looking for other opinions on when they went down for the night at 1month old.

Thanks in advance!

~J

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I fed them every 3 hours, and I believe it was 7, 10, 1, 4, so I put them 'down'(or rather, I would go to bed!) after that 10pm bottle. They were still up every 3 hours at that point during the night, and were eating about the same amount as yours are from what I recall. Gradually, that 7pm bottle became their last bottle.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were doing every 3 hours at that point too. Occasionally they would sleep a bit longer but I was definitely still feeding them at least twice in the night.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were also doing every 3 hours at 4 weeks. Nighttime, they might have been up 2x a night and I think they were getting around 4oz each feeding.

5. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

I just asked our ped at their last weight check how much they should be eating. He said that as a general rule they should take in double their body weight in 24 hours. As for the sleep question, well, we are still working on that :)

6. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

Ours are 6 weeks old, they take anywhere from 3-4 oz bottles every 2-3 hours, but actually they tend to cluster feed.... take an ounce or two, sleep 30minutes, demand another ounce. Its really annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it. But at night we are getting them to sleep for 2-3 hours at a time and take 4 oz bottles, sometimes only 3.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At 4 weeks we were trying to adhere to an every 3 hour schedule like they came home from the NICU on, but most of the time it wasnt successful. Mine wanted to eat all the time, even at night.

8. gij7728

gij7728 Active Member

At that age my LO's were eating every 3 hours and they take approx. 3 oz. AT night time they woke up twice to eat.