2 yrs later how is your IUGR baby fairing weight/height?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brieh, Jan 15, 2012.

1. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

My one twin was born by emerg c-section due to IUGR and has always been either not quite on the chart for weight/height or just making it. I was wondering those of you that had a IUGR baby-- have they caught up? I asked my pedi and he said its hard to say if she will always be more petite due to genetics or if it was due to a not as good start in the world. My other twin (they are fraternal, so really I shouldn't compare) is in the 90th percentiles for all the measurements. They are 3 inches different in height and 8 lbs in weight. She's healthy and smart, so I am not really that worried. I just wondered what others experiences had been. Did yours catch up?

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

You can see the girls stats in my sig. At 6 years jessy weights about 10lbs less than jazz and is about 2 inches shorter. Jessy is now about 50% for weight and 60-70% for height. Jazz is high perrcentiles like your other twin. My girls are id

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I didn't have an IUGR baby, but my girls were 2 pounds, 13 ounces (both) when they were born. They turned 4 in December. One is 29 pounds and 38.5 inches tall. The other is 31 pounds and 38 inches tall. We also don't know if they are just petite because of genetics or if it has to do with their low birthweight. Hard to say. They are both healthy though, so I don't worry about it.

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

No one ever said "IUGR" to me about Sabrina. But she was 2 1/2 lbs smaller than Sydney at birth, she didn't gain any weight the last month in utero, and her umbilical cord was only about 7 inches long. So I'm sure that was one of her issues. At 4 she was diagnosed as failure to thrive. She's 6 now and weighs less than my 2 1/2 year old. She's 4 inches, 18 lbs and 3 shoe sizes smaller than her twin, Sydney (she's only about 32 lbs). She's never been on the chart for either height or weight. She is legally blind but that's a genetic condition unrelated to her size, according to geneticists. But she's smart and capable and doing well otherwise. I think she'll probably always be tiny, though.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Piper was IUGR due to an umbilical cord that implanted on the placental membrane rather than in the center of the placenta where it should have. She was 3 lbs 11 oz at birth (36 weeks). She caught up (almost) to Cricket really quickly and has been the same height since they were about a year, and usually lags Cricket by a few pounds -- and she looks a lot leaner in her entire frame. Piper is about 60% for height and 20% for weight. Cricket is 60% for height and 40% for weight. That's about what we'd expect given that neither DH or I are particularly tall.

6. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Thank you all for sharing. My girls are sooo very different in looks, build and stature that maybe they are how they were meant to be. Lexia seems to have gotten her height from my husband and I am not sure where Quinn will end up. I guess I will just have to wait and see. They started at birth about a pound apart but as time goes on the inches and pounds are stretching further apart and that had me a bit concerned. The bonus in all this-- I get more use out of pants, since they are a size apart:)Everyone of your little ones sound healthy and that is the most important thing!!

7. tfrost

tfrost Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 28 weeks due to Will being IUGR. He was only 2 lbs., 3 oz. at birth, putting him at 12 ounces smaller than his brother. This quickly developed into a four pound difference for the first 18 months. Then they started to catch up to each other. Andy always looked like a butterball compared to his brother until they started walk and talk. They will turn 3 in a few days, and for being born three months early, they are doing a pretty darn good job at catching up. Andy is about 32 pounds and 36 inches, and Will is 30.5 pounds and 35.5 inches tall.

They are identical twins, but Will's IUGR has caused his features to be just a bit different from his brother's. I see this as an advantage not only for us as parents telling them apart, but I like the idea of them having just enough of a difference between them as they grow older in their own development.

8. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 33 weeks – Gavin my IUGR baby was 2 lb 7 oz and his brother was 4 lbs. We were always told he would catch up by one then by two, well when we got to 3 and he was FAR from catching up I insisted that there must be something else going on. We are in the process of testing his growth hormone levels now. There is of course more to the story that I would be happy to share with you offline if you are interested.