2 heartbeats, 1 smaller, 1 larger

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jlefief, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jlefief

jlefief Member

Hello all!
    This website seems to be the place to go for people like me. I am 10 weeks pregnant with twins. I have one 2 year old daughter and thought I knew it all about pregnancy. But now I feel clueless. In short, we conceived our twins on our 7th cycle of IUI.

At 6 weeks, we had and u/s that showed one heartbeat and one sac with nothing visible enough to measure.
    At just under 8 weeks, and u/s showed two babies, two heartbeats. One measured 3 days under my exact date, one measured 3 days over the exact date.

I go for another u/s tomorrow. My question is....what are the chances at this point of a vanishing twin still happening? Now that we have seen 2 babes and 2 heartbeats, are we still at risk for a "vanishing?". If so, how common?

Also...anyone have a suggested weight gain timeline by month?

Thanks!!
    Jenni

2. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

Vanishing twins is common up until 12 weeks. But I have heard once you pass 14 wks you are totally clear. I was petrified of it too but everything was fine. Every u/s I would be like omg, is there 2 still?? and the tech would look at me like I'm nuts lol

As for weight gain, my OB said 35-45 lbs total weight. Everyone gains weight different and at different rates. As long as you gain by the end you should be ok. As some people even LOSE weight in first and early 2nd trimesters, due to morning sickness.

I read in a book that 24lbs gained by 24 weeks pregnant is a good indicator that you won't have pre term labor. Not sure if that's true though!!!! My dr never worries about my weight gain and I am a tiny, super thin person.
    Like I said, everyone gains differently!!! :)

Congrats and welcome to TS!

3. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

I understand the feeling too!! Mine were found before 6 weeks!! I had a feeling there were 2 when my bloodwork was high (quarupled vs doubling!) and I had twin brothers and my moms dad was a twin. At 7 weeks I passed a clot scared it was all over!! (i had a m/c in june) they were both there at 7 weeks, guess what still there at 14 weeks!! Now I have to wait until the 27th for the next at 19 weeks. For me too it's scary everytime esp since my m/c was found as being missed at 14 weeks! I have a mini fear of them now :( but I can tell you mine measure a day apart and heartbeats are always diiff by about 10-15 beats.

4. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

oh almost forgot! You need to get Dr Barbara Lukes book about twins!! It talks about wt gain by your BMI love it!! You could check your local library that's what I did then I had to buy a copy because I love it!!

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Congrats! My boys always measured 4 days apart. I found out I was having twins at 8 weeks. As for weight gain, everyone is different. I was told you should gain 35-40 lbs. I gained 20lbs my whole pregnancy. My boys were born at 37 weeks.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine measured 6 days apart- o was just smaller than s. They are di/di and identical but never measured the same.

7. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your twins!!! My girls are di/di ID's as well and never measured the same, in fact Baby A always measured smaller and she ended up being the bigger of the two at birth so you never know, they are just estimates ;).

8. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the size difference. I also love Dr. Lukes book When you'r Expecting Twins, TRiplet or Quads. It gives tons of advice on eating and weight gain. Welcome.