16 months and STILL crawling

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mpittman, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mpittman

mpittman Active Member

One of my 16 month old (15 months adjusted) girls is walking everywhere, but her sister still won't walk. She has taken 5-6 steps at a time, several times over the past month, but only with alot of encouragement and only to us if we are sitting on the floor coaxing her. Otherwise she is developing fine...cruises, climbs, says about 25 words. At our 15 mo. check-up our MD didn't seem concerned.

Anyone else have late walkers?? I wonder when I should worry?

:thanks: ...in advance!

2. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

I'd check in with their Dr., just to be sure what/when they think you should be concerned. but I think the longest cut off for 'normal' is 18 months (when they REALLY start to look into things) but most doctors want to touch base around 15-16 months. At 15 months I asked our boys' doctor, she wasn't concerned because they showed signs, as does your daughter, that they were going to walk "soon". She said if they didn't walk by 16 months to check back with her. So, I'd check in with her office if you can talk to a nurse and have the doctor call you... as to when their doctor would want to see her again, etc. and touch base on the progress.

Even if it's over 18 months it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong or very much wrong... a girl at daycare (not a preemie) didn't walk until 19 months and she's fine- she was just really cautious. She went from cruising & a few steps with coaxing straight to walking. I know another kid who wasn't walking yet, there was something 'wrong' but not really- her feet were flat so she didn't have good balance (nothing major) so she has minor physical challenges with that- but there is nothing wrong with her developmentally.

both of ours were taking steps, crusing, etc. for 2-3 MONTHS before they decided to walk most of the time. I thought it 'should' be any day... nope ours wanted lots of practice 1st. walked at 151/2 months (141/2 adjusted).

I bet she walks really soon. She sounds a little more cautious than her sister.

3. mpittman

mpittman Active Member

Thanks for your response! It is reassuring to hear that others had similar experiences and their LOs eventually walked fine.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Both of my little guys did not start walking until 16.5 months. They were also late crawlers (11.5 months). I was a late walker myself (16 months) as were both of my parents (mom: 16 months, dad 18 months). I think it is even more common now that babies spend a lot less time on their tummies and a lot more time in things like swings, exersaucers, bouncy seats, etc. Our pediatrician said it wasn't a concern at all since they were both pulling to a stand, cruising, etc.

5. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

One of my boys just started walking yesterday...they still babble, not talking. If you are concerned, talk to your Dr. But I would not be too concerned. As long as they are meeting other mildstones, I would not be concerned. But that may be just me!

Jenn

6. mpittman

mpittman Active Member

Thanks for your input! I feel like she is developing normally in all other ways...I think I just need to be patient! Thanks again.

7. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry if your Dr isnt. My DD didn´t walk until she was 17 months old. She´d walk a few steps but no coaxing would make her do it. One day I picked her up from nursery and she walked out! Of course I wasnt surprised that she walked when she didnt have all of us trying to make her!! She´ll get there and shen she does, it´ll be when you least expect it! :)