12+ Weeks with Subchorionic Hematoma

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Tier1Terrier, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Tier1Terrier

Tier1Terrier Active Member

Im the DH :)

I was out of town and my wife woke up in the middle of the night bleeding. She took herself to the ER, was given an US, and was discharged with a diagnosis of SCH ( Subchorionic hematoma). Was followed up by her OB and was told to take it easy for a few days. So far, the bleeding has reduced to almost nothing, but we're both extremely anxious about everything. We realize that it could start up again at any time. We were told it was a small SCH, but that doesn't really give us too much comfort.

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with an SCH at any time during their twin (or multiple) pregnancy? If so, how did everything turn out? What should we expect?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds like me! Just five years prior!

So yes, I had one with my now healthy 4.5 year old boys.

I was sleeping. And I remember waking up in the morning feeling like I had my period. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom and saw the blood. Deep down, due to being on TS, I knew it was a SCH. But still, I was bleeding, and I was pregnant, so I was still going to freak out a bit.

Long story short, I had a small SCH. This was a Tuesday. My doctor put me on bed rest and took me out of work for the week. I stayed home Tue-Thur, and went back to work Friday because I was bored. There was no bleeding. The. Sunday I had some very light brown spotting, so I spent the day in bed again. The was the end of the bleeding. I did get an u/s to check on the bleeding and it was fine by 16 weeks. The sonographer said she couldn't even tell I had one. :)

So-stay off her feet!! Rest rest rest! Schedule follow up u/a if you want for reassurance. But believe it or not, they are pretty common.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

3. Tier1Terrier

Thanks Meaghan. Sounds almost exactly like what we're going through. I hope we manage to have a similar outcome.

All others, please continue to post any other feedback, comments, or discussions about your personal experience with SCH during a 'multiple' pregnancy

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Although I wasn't officially diagnosed with this, I think I had this. I had bleeding on and off well into my second trimester with my girls...I'm not talking spotting, but a gush of blood. I never knew when it would hit, but my stomach would just sink every time it happened. I n the beginning I went to the ER 3 times for bleeding only to find out each time that my cervix was closed. Ultrasounds never revealed anythingm but I can not imagine what else it would have been. I wore a pad everyday until it stopped. Scary stuff, but about mid way through my second trimester I was fine. My doctor told me no exercising, no sex, and to stay off of my feet as much as possible. When the bleeding occured lay down and as long as the bleeding stopped within an hour of laying down, and didn't fill up no more than one pad, I shouldn't worry...which it always stopped. I worked full-time the entire time this was going on (I am a teacher), and although scary, it did eventually stop.

5. Tier1Terrier

Well, we're back in the ER again. She woke up again at 3:45 am with a gush of blood This is about the same time it happened 3 nights ago when I was away. She has mild cramping. She has provided blood and urine samples, and we're waiting for her to get an U/S. Please pray for us.

6. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you... Hope to hear some good news soon...

7. Utopia122

You two are in my prayers! Keep us updated!!

8. Tier1Terrier

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

It was quite a morning for us. We were at the ER till about 9:30. The U/S didn't really reveal anything new and the ER doc just didn't seem to offer any reassurance. After receiving the results, one of which included "threatened miscarriage", we managed to get squeezed in for an appointment with her perinatologist. The PN concluded that the babies are fine and that my wife just needs to take it easy for a few days. She told us that we should expect this to happen again as she could see another SCH developing in the U/S. She said that more than likely a little movement will eventually cause it to come out, and therefore, didn't recommend total bedrest - just to take it easy for a few days. She says we should still go to the ER if if happens again just in case it's something else, but that we shouldn't be alarmed. She didn't think that the SCH was very large or likely to cause a miscarriage, but obviously couldn't guarantee anything. She actually told us that she bled nearly every day of her first two pregnancies, and that bleeding alone is not uncommon, nor are SCHs. Either way, my wife is going to take AT LEAST the next few days off from work and we'll see how things go. I'll be sure to update this post if/when this happens again, but thanks again for everyone's input, prayers, and well wishes.

What made the morning particularly difficult was that while we were in the emergency room, there was a young girl in the bed next to my wife (only separated by a curtain) who also came in bleeding but actually had a miscarriage right there in the ER beside us. While we couldn't see anything, hearing everything transpire right there beside us was horrible. The fear that the girl was going through when she first go there, then through all the pain of losing her child right there. It was so sad - and then for us to be sitting there right beside her not knowing what was happening to us made it really scary for us. It was very very sad.

9. Utopia122

I am so glad that your wife is home resting and everything is okay. I understand how scary it can be and how helpless your wife feels right now. My OB told me point blank that all we could do is be patient and wait...playing the waiting game was the hardest thing I have ever done. Nothing was done at each ER visit except U/S and cervix check. It got to the point where I knew that going to the ER was useless unless I was in severe pan. Every visit to the OB to hear the heartbeats was a big huge sigh of relief. Luckily my SIL was a nurse who had spent her life working with babies and she would bring over her doppler just to give me some reassurance when an episode happened. I really wish I could give you some reassurance, but unfortunately until the bleeding stops, you both will be on pins and needles. Maybe renting a doppler may be something that you could do just to have some assurance when this happens, however, be aware that home dopplers sometimes do not pick up heartbeats very well.

10. Tier1Terrier

Small update:

We had a follow up visit with her OB today. They did an u/s and the SCH SEEMS to have shrunken a bit. We're not sure if it's due to her bed resting for the last several days or if it's just taking it's natural course of action - since these things aren't really predictable. It's been a rough few days waiting till today, but we feel a little better knowing we're moving in a positive direction - allbeit completely aware that things can change for the worse without warning.

My wife will be returning to work next week, but strictly light duty. I'll be sure to keep this thread posted with any updates.

11. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am glad all is well. I had bleeding early on as well, around 6-7 weeks. It was never confirmed if it was a SCH or not though. I also had the gushing, but I was doing laundry at the time and the blood soaked my pants and pooled at my feet. I know how scary it is.

12. Tier1Terrier

Back in the ER again :(

Wife woke up to some fresh bleeding again. Waiting to be seen by doc and hope that this is nothing worse than the last time. Please pray for us. I'll update soon.

13. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

You're all in my prayers.. Hope it all goes well.

14. Utopia122

Hoping to hear good news!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

15. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Sending many thoughts and prayers your way.

And a nother note of hope. I found out we were expecting multiples BECAUSE of my SCH. I started "hemmoraging" and went to the ER in tears convinced I was miscarrying. Plus, as I recall, I bled off and on for a quite a few days (I believe it was almost up to 2 weeks). I'll spare you the details, but MAJOR STRESS summs up the experience. I can, however, proudly report that I am the mother of 2.5 year olds who are perfect in every way. I also had the same thing happen with my current pregnancy (singleton). It was so bad I soaked a pad every hour for nearly a day. He's due any day. My point is, for some women, bleeding is just a stressful part of the game. In fact, I was shocked at how common SCHs are among moms of multiples.

So, keep us posted and send her my thoughts and prayers. Good luck.

PS - you're a gread dad for joining twinstuff. I appreciate hearing the male perspective on issues.

16. Utopia122

Just wondering how everything is going. Still have you both on my mind!

17. jjjmorrison7

jjjmorrison7 New Member

I having been watching this thread for an update and praying for you and your wife. I too have recently been diagnosed with a SCH during my current pregnancy. I have 2.5 year old twins but this time we are only having 1. This is my 12th pregnancy (1 miscarriage) and I have experienced bleeding before but this is the first time that they actually labeled it SCH. Interesting enough my miscarriage was one of the few pregnancies where I had no bleeding until I started to miscarry.

18. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I've been watching and waiting for an update. I hope all is well!

19. Tier1Terrier

Thank you all for the well wishes. The wife is doing fine right now. The last visit to the ER was pretty much as expected. A follow up visit to her OB confirms that the SCH is still there but thankfully appears to be smaller than in the past. We're going the cautious route and keeping her on bed rest as that seems to be working somewhat. So she's been back on bed rest since last Tuesday and will continue through this week. We've decided that she will not go back to work unless she's been at leat one full week bleed free. It's not an easy decision for us to make - money/income is a factor but this has been too long and painful a journey for us and we don't want to take any chances however much we can afford. So we're ALL IN on this one and hoping for the best.

Again, thank you everyone for thinking and praying for us. Please continue to do so as I'm sure it helps. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated.

20. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are ok!

21. Utopia122

So glad to hear that she is doing well!!

22. Tier1Terrier

Just wanted to update in case anyone is following this thread -

Today my wife is 23 weeks and she's been absent of bleeds for the last several weeks. We have one of the 'big' ultrasounds tomorrow, but we're not expecting to find anything new out.

Besides the fact that my wife is having daily contractions (we think braxton hicks) that she's already been evaluated for, everything seems to be going ok.

It's been a long pregnancy. Things probably seem much worse to us than they really are, but it's hard when you're going through it yourself. We're very optimistic and we feel very blessed.