11 month old twins still don't have teeth?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sarllywright, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Sarllywright

Sarllywright Member

Hey, so my boy and girl (twins) BOTH have a mouth of pure gums. It was funny at first but now I'm odd feeling about it. Can it hinder their development when it comes to learning to eat new foods? At the moment I give them baby snacks that can be gummed but I have to be careful and watch them. 

There gums don't even feel swollen though they do drool a lot lately.. They turn 1 year April 24th and they are 4-5 weeks premature. 

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

5 of my 6 got them at 5 months, so when one of my twins didn't get her first until almost 8 months, that seemed old.  But I've heard that the longer it takes, the better for their teeth, actually.  Maybe it's just less exposure to bacteria or something.

3. Sarllywright

Sarllywright Member

Well that's one positive thing, then! I think it is genetic but the doctors seem to act like it is no big deal...I just find it strange I guess. lol.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Totally normal! And no need to avoid table foods. All of my kids cut their first tooth around 10 months and did just fine on table foods.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

One of my twins didn't get her first tooth until 13 months old. She also didn't lose her first tooth until she was almost 7.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

yes, I've heard that the later they come in and then fall out the better!!  Mine started at about 8-9 months and the first teeth falling out was in first grade, so age 6.5.  :)  Enjoy!

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My daughter got her first tooth at 11,5 months and my son got it a week before they turned one. Then it took another 2 months for the second tooth to come in for both of them- and after that they were getting 2 teeth a week - each. It's no big deal, at least my kids seem normal to me :). I remember wondering if that was normal also.They had a few cranky nights for a while... yeah, let's keep it on a positive side - I won't worry you with that :), but you may want to stock up on your teething gel or whatever baby pain medication you prefer. It's better to have it and not need it with 2 teething toddlers.

Welcome to twinstuff, I hope you like it.

8. Sarllywright

Sarllywright Member

Thank you so much! What gel to you suggest? I do stay stalked up on baby Tylenol and ibuprofen because they have both needed them for shots they get at the doctor.  I'm so glad that this is normal! :))

9. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

You're welcome! We used Orajel Baby Naturals Teething Gel - you can find it in any store. I hope your kids will not be too bad about teething.

10. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Late to the party here but my girls are 11 months and also have no teeth!  My mom tells me that my teeth also came in very late, so it is probably just genetic.  Hearing other people's stories makes me feel better about it too!  We feed lots of table foods but they are pretty much all soft (boiled veggies, etc).