11 month old stopped drinking his formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jessn79, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jessn79

jessn79 New Member

Hi:

My twin B who has reflux, hypotonia, and smaller (weigh/height) has been refusing to drink his formula for the past week. His twin still loves his milk

He will only drink his water or prune/apple juice. He may drink 1-2 bottles of formula all day and at night.

The doctor said it was okay during teething which was the last 2 weeks but he still doing it.

We went to the doctor today and she suggusted trying whole milk because he likes to eat cheese and yogurt.

I stopped by a local grocery immediately and got him a small carton of milk. He gagged.

When I got home, I made him some Enfagrow (Enfamil's toddler formula, Enfamil recently sent me a sample) and he drank it but threw up. :-(

Any ideas or suggestions?

It's hard to see my skinny pumpkin not drinking his milk. He already underweight :-(

He is the one on the right. His chunky monkey brother is one the left.

From birth until 10 months, he was taking 2 ounces every 1/2 to 1 1/2 hour. He wouldn't take anymore than that because he would gag.

At his ten month birthday, I was able to get him to take 4 ounces of formula. But as soon as teething the upper 2 teeth, his increased appetite for milk disappeared :-(

The boys drink Nutramigen formula.

Has anyone encountered this? What did you do?

Thanks,
    Jessica

2. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I worry so much about my girls intake and they are both chunky monkeys so I can only imagine how much more I would worry if one or both were skinny! So stressful!

One of my girls has been refusing bottles for about a month now (teething???). I recently started giving her her formula in a cup and I help her sip it. It's super messy and sometimes more goes down the front than in but she loves it and will actually drink about 4 oz or so this way. She has recently also started using a straw sippy cup and will take a few ounces this way too. Have you tried either of these things?

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Have you tried different sizes of nipples? Or a sippy cup? If it's teething, have you tried feeding him with a dropper or syringe? We used to have to do that with Gabriel when he was younger - sometimes it was the only way he would eat. It was a slow, painful process, but sometimes that was the only way he would take more than 2 oz. at a time.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

My daughter stopped drinking formula as soon as she turned 9 months. And she was chubby... I stressed, I totally understand how worried you must be.
    As you, I was advised to start whole milk. She hated it. So I just tried chocolate milk (a small spoon of Nesquick cocoa powder in her milk) and she took it right away. I never worried about the extra calories and it did not interfere with her eating habits.
    I hope you find the best solution for you as well! Best of luck to you!

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I can imagine how stressed you are..we went through the same thing with our skinny minnies too although they did not have reflux. Will he still eat cereal from a spoon? When JT did this with teething we just "beefed" up his cereal with extra formula scoops and fed it to him from a spoon. I would also try a sippy cup. Also if he likes the whole milk you could also try doing 1/2 and 1/2 formula and milk to get some extra calories in him too. And keep feeding him the yogurt and cheese so he is still getting some fat from that too:)
    Good luck! Its so stressful but no worries it will get better!