zucchini and squash

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Hillybean, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how to prepare zucchini and squash for my girls. I don't eat either of them and I am not sure what to do. If I give them green beans again they may revolt!

2. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this would work, but the way I love to eat them is just sliced and sauted in butter! YUM B) I like garlic with mine too, but not sure if your girls like garlic!

When you saute them, they get pretty soft and then you can cut them into more manageable pieces for the little ones. Good luck!

3. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I slice up my zucchini and boil it, and I like to bake my squash. HTH

4. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

with squash/zuchini, you can slice it up and then dip it in milk and then flour. After doing that, you can put in in a skillet on the stove and fry it with oil. Our boys love it, and if they're cooked long enough, they get soft. My mom also did it one way where she shredded it and then mixed it with milk and beat up eggs. She made it into pancake type patties and then fried them in a skillet with oil. This was softer for the boys to eat and they loved it this way too. We're a big Squash and Zuchinni family here as we get many many many outta the garden. If you need specifics on it, pm me or something, i also know that mom cut it long ways like french fries and then fried it up like that. Good Luck!

amanda

5. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

This may be too bland for your kiddos, depending what kind of food they're used to eating, but my boys love plain, steamed zucchini cooked in the microwave. I cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces, put it in a microwavable bowl with a bit of water, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then microwave on high for about 4 minutes. Not very exciting, but it's quick and easy for me to do, and my boys eat every piece!

6. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

My girls LOVE zucchini and squash! First, I cut up it up while it's raw into manageable sized pieces....then I sautee it with olive oil, a little bit of garlic (if I have it), pepper, and Mrs. Dash (we are a salt-free family b/c my hubby has high blood pressure). I was very hesitant to give it to them b/c I though they would hate it, but they actually love it!!!! I also do the canned, no-salt added peas, green beans, and lima beans. Sometimes I might sprinkle a little parmesean cheese on top for a little flavor.....

7. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

I dice up an onion very fine and saute that with diced (or quarted) zucchini till it is soft. Then I add a can of diced tomatoes in sauce and heat it until the liquid reduces. I sometimes add garlic powder, oregano and basil if the canned tomatoes I buy aren't seasoned. You can serve it as a side dish or over pasta or rice.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I quarter and slice it and then put it in a pan with olive oil, minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper. I sautee it until it's tender. Mine LOVE it that way. HTH :)

9. WENDERELLA

WENDERELLA Well-Known Member

we slice zucchini and squash into medallions, brush with a little olive oil and put them on the george foreman grill.....we like red onion and red bell like this too...the boys and the girls eat them all up like this.....for us and the girls, we put a little feta on top of all the veggies and serve with brown rice, too.

10. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great ideas!!! I ended up just steaming it but I think it was too boring for them. My DH is the cook of the family - I am going to have him whip up some of the great things you guys suggested!

11. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I saute some onion and garlic in some oil in a saucepan, then add a couple of tablespoons of water and sliced medallions of zucchini and squash plus a little salt & pepper, cover it, and turn the heat down. It sort of steam/simmers and gets really soft and yummy. You don't need to add much water because squash lets off a lot of liquid as it's cooking. Also I love it grilled, mmmmmm.

I just got a recipe for faux crabcakes made with shredded zucchini instead of crab -- it's really yummy and especially good for people who are alergic to crab (like me :().

12. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Mine won't eat it. They used to when I chopped it up into an omlet. But lately it's, "I don't want the avocado." "It's not avocado, it's zucchini." "It's yucky."

I'm sure they'd eat zucchini bread though.

13. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

I roast many veggies in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees. A little olive oil and salt and pepper. Works really great w/ asaparagus and use it for sliced zuch and squash too. It doesn't get soggy or loose flavor like steaming.

14. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We slice and saute in olive oil with garlic and seasoning salt. Or put them on skewers, brush with olive oil and spices, and grill. They are also good tossed with olive oil or butter and baked.

15. erinmichelleb

erinmichelleb Well-Known Member

I put it chopped up with rice and feta cheese with some herbs. My son loves more flavorful cooking, and he devours it!

16. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

this is super easy. slice long ways - not circles but long long ovals. spray each side with cooking spray, preferably olive oil. sprinkle with italian seasoning. put on grill about 5 min per side. medium heat.

otherwise make a chocolate zucchini cake. and serve it for breakfast.

17. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

I just cut it up into sticks and put alittle water in a bowl wiht the zucchini -- throw it in the microwave - at 75% power for 40 seconds and then salt and butter --

My kids love it.

Teri D

18. Fllwrabbit

Fllwrabbit New Member

You can make zucchini pancakes. Take one zucchini and grate it. Add 1 egg, s&p, and 1 tbsp of flour. Stir well. Preheat saute pan and drizzle with olive oil. Take mixture by spoonfuls and drop on the saute pan. You may press the mounds down to make little pancake shape. Cook on medium for a couple of minutes, flip do the same on the other side. Serve as is or with dipping sauce (sour cream, plain yogurt, etc.)

19. rachel123

rachel123 Well-Known Member

I do mine on the grill I cut it into slices put a little olive oil and salt and pepper in tin foil wrap it up and toss it on the grill till they are tender. The kids love it all bi=ut the impossible 5 year old that is.

20. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

Another super yummy recipe for zuchinni pancakes:

1/4 cup Bisquick
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 eggs
    2 med zuchinni cut into thin, small matchstick pieces
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together, drop by spoonfuls into oiled frying pan. Brown on both sides.

SUPER YUMMY!!!!

Unfortunately, my Katy is allergic to dairy and eggs, so we haven't made these in quite a while.