Zantac?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by aodom, Mar 11, 2009.

1. aodom

aodom Member

One of my DS has reflux and has been prescribed Zantac...0.9 ml 3x's/day. Here's the thing: Now he only seems to only projectile vomit/spit up after the bottles he has after he's taken the Zantac. I've been giving it every other bottle 15-20 minutes before he eats. I'm also thickening the Neosure with rice cereal (1 tsp/ oz). I see some of the side effects of Zantac are nausea and vomiting. Has anyone else had issues with reflux seeming to worsen on Zantac?

Allison

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

Zantac tastes absolutely terrible, so I can see how it could upset a babies tummy. I would call your doc, maybe they can switch him to something else?

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have read on here of others vomiting from the Zantac. I would definitely call the Ped and see if you can switch meds. There are plenty out there to choose from.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 11 2009, 09:37 PM) [snapback]1224354[/snapback]
    I have read on here of others vomiting from the Zantac. I would definitely call the Ped and see if you can switch meds. There are plenty out there to choose from.

I agree with Rachel and Becky, it might be worth a call to pedi to see if another medicine might work better. :hug:
    Good luck!

5. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

One of my twins is on Zantac and he does seem to spit up (a little) less on it. We give it to him with his food (we pop the bottle in his mouth right after giving it to him so he doesn't have a chance to spit it out! ;)) so I wonder if that makes a difference. At any rate, I agree w/calling the pedi to discuss possibly trying a different med.

6. S.Martintwin

S.Martintwin Member

QUOTE(twinboymommy @ Mar 11 2009, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1224313[/snapback]
    One of my DS has reflux and has been prescribed Zantac...0.9 ml 3x's/day. Here's the thing: Now he only seems to only projectile vomit/spit up after the bottles he has after he's taken the Zantac. I've been giving it every other bottle 15-20 minutes before he eats. I'm also thickening the Neosure with rice cereal (1 tsp/ oz). I see some of the side effects of Zantac are nausea and vomiting. Has anyone else had issues with reflux seeming to worsen on Zantac?

Allison

My son has the same problem with reflux. Our doctor put him on Prilosec. He was going to put him on Zantac but said it was only an acid reducer not a neutralizer like Prilosec. He also said Zantac is not as strong and didn't work as fast as the Prilosec, that may be why you are having problems with Zantac. I'm new to all this reflux jazz. Hope this help! I feel your pain!!

7. dawncmc98

dawncmc98 Active Member

Both my sons have refulx. We got put on Zantac just yesterday. Both projectile vomited! I will have to watch them more closely now after reading these post!

We were told to mix with fomula in a nipple and give 2x per day. Not to give it straight into their mouths it would be like taking a shot of peppermint schnopps! (sp?)

8. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

My son's on Zantac too, and he takes it really well, no more crying or puking after and can even finish the entire bottle after 1ml.

9. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

I JUST had this talk with my doc today at their 2 month check. I said it tasted awful and she wasn't taking it very nicely! Also, she was still spitting up so much after eating. I tried it, I thought it burned! My Doc is going to switch me. She wanted to ask a co-worker though about the other meds just to see if there is one without the awful taste. I say call, their switching us.

10. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

My DD is on Prevacid which is supposed to help keep the spit up down as well as neutralize acids. You can get it as a quick disolving pill. I put the pill in her mouth and squirt some water in while she's lying down on the changing table. Works great for us.

11. cmorawetz

cmorawetz Member

I just started my girls on Zantac this week. So far we have noticed a minor improvement (from the 50 - 60 spit ups per day) and maybe even that they are slightly happier - likely due to the reduction of acid. I am going to give it a go for a few weeks and hopefully this solves our dilemma. I think I could have handled it if it was only one child (I've been through this with one already four years ago) but with two I just find myself VERY frustrated. The zantac does taste terrible and I've been giving the one ml with a bit of baby fruit from the jar. One gobbles it up and one isn't sure but I keep scooping into her as it dribbles down her chin as I am determined to get it into them. I'll keep everyone posted if this works - we are fed up!

12. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

My boys have been on Zantac since they were 4wks-we are now starting to wean them off. Our pedi told us taht the Zantac doesn't stop the vomitting only stops teh pain from reflux.

I would call your pedi!
    Good luck! Reflux sucks!