Zantac Question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TFine, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

My babies are 1 1/2 months old and on Zantac for reflux. It is working well but some doses end up everywhere. They dislike the taste of it. Has anyone ever mixed it in the formula or anything?

Need help....... want my babies to feel good!

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I did that, but only in a small amt. that you are certain they will drink. Otherwise your dosing is going to be off and the results might not be as good!

Reflux is a bummer, but usually passes quickly! :hug99:

3. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

I tried it and it did not work for me. You have to make sure that they take ALL of the formula. Also, it modifies the taste of the formula...that is why my guys did not like it.

4. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

We used the pacifier medicine droppers. If yours take a pacifier, I'd try that. Mine would gobble it right up that way. You can get them at Walgreens.

5. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

i didn't b/c I could never be sure if they'd drink the whole bottle. I used insulin syringes (with the needle pulled off) b/c they're thin and slip easily into the babies' mouths - gave them to me at Walgreens. But they did get used to the taste after awhile - they don't mind it at all anymore.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Zantac is most effective if taken 30 minutes before a meal, so if there's any way you can get them to take the medicine before eating, you'll get better results. One of my daughters is on Zantac and like a PP, we use the insulin syringes (with the needles taken out, of course). My doctor gives them to me when I ask. I stick a pacifier in her mouth, wait until she's sucking away, and then slip the syringe in as far back into her cheek as I can. She's used to it now and takes it all without complaint.

Good luck!

7. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

The best way I found for me to make sure they got ALL the medication is to have one bottle with 1 or 2 ounces in it that I knew she would drink and then when I burped them, I would switch the bottle to another one that is ready to go with the other number of ounces that they would normally drink. I found that when I put it in the entire bottle, they would always finsish it and if I tried to stop, and get another bottle and heat it up and all that, then I couldn't get them back on to the bottle. It was like I interrupted them and they lost interest in eating.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tammy Fine @ Aug 30 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]386126[/snapback]
    My babies are 1 1/2 months old and on Zantac for reflux. It is working well but some doses end up everywhere. They dislike the taste of it. Has anyone ever mixed it in the formula or anything?

Need help....... want my babies to feel good!

I never mixed it with the formula, but the ladies started taking it at 3 weeks so they were used to the taste. However, my doctor did say we could mix it with the formula, but like others have said, I was concerned about them not finishing the bottle. I like the suggestion of a pp about having a small bottle prepared to mix it with, and then a larger bottle after. That would work well. GL! -Leighann

9. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

I would put it in a small bit of formula (an amount I knew they would take) and then do diaper changes and then I would give them their "real" bottle.

10. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I never put it in the bottle because I was afraid that DS would associate the bad taste with eating and I am having enough trouble getting him interested in eating anyway. I also had trouble getting him to take the foul tasting medication. I just posted about a new medication my ped gave us called AXID that tastes like bubble gum. It seems to go down a bit better,

Thanks,
    Amy

11. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

we did that by putting it in just an ounce of formula to be sure they would get all of the Zantac and then gave them the bigger bottle

12. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I found that if I put it in Kevan's cheek, he would spit it all out, but if I held his head straight (while he was lying on his back on the changing table), and put the syringe far back on his tongue, right in the middle of his mouth, it would go down. He is on .7 ML twice a day, but I give him each dose very slowly -- a ML or two at a time.

A very thin syringe helps, too.

13. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

We have the pharmacy flavor Katie's grape. It makes it much easier to see when she spits it out because it's purple. And she likes the taste better. I always ask the pharmacy for a syringe and just put it in her mouth and squirt it slowly giving her enough time to swallow. Before we had it flavored she spit it all out.